Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,211 Times in 1,565 Posts
Default Serious Toothache over the weekend...

Advertise Here

Why do you get toothaches on Fridays when all the dentists offices have closed?

That was my situation last Friday and I had to go the whole weekend without serious pain medication.

I treated the pain with a mix of ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin, benzocaine gel, and alcohol. Still the pain was so severe that I could not sleep, and could not drink or eat as it would cause severe pain whenever anything touched the tooth or changed the temperature inside my mouth.

I did find that frequent gargling with mouth wash helped. Taking blood pressure medication seemed to help also, but it was hard to dry swallow the pills so I did end up swallowing them with some water which increased the pain temporarily.

I did have access to antibiotics and took them as well.

By Monday morning I was not doing well at all.

I went to the dentists who confirmed it was an abscessed tooth and highly infected. The antibiotic I had been taking was worse than ineffective. It had killed off all other bacteria in my mouth but had spared the one in my tooth thereby clearing the way for it to multiply unopposed.

In short, it would have been more effective to not take any antibiotics.

I was given a prescription for pain medication and some very strong antibiotics.

I called an oral surgeon and scheduled the extraction for Friday, in 4 days.

Monday night was the first night I had slept for more than an hour at a time and I slept very well, only waking up once due to pain.

By Tuesday the infection was as bad as it would get. My right cheek was red, swollen, and hot to the touch. The pain seemed directly related to the level of infection as well and I was going through the pain medication like it was candy. I called the dentist and got another refill to last me through Friday.

Thursday morning I woke up and the inflammation in my right cheek was gone. The pain was noticeably less also.

I got the tooth extracted on Friday morning and was given another prescription for pain killers, this time they were about twice as strong as the ones my regular dentist had given me and twice as many also.

What did I learn?

1) When you have a toothache there is no substitute for the correct antibiotic and REAL pain medication. OTC pain medications work but for severe pain they just cant cut it.

2) Antibiotics not specifically for abscessed teeth will do more harm than good as they kill the good bacteria and leave the infection able to grow unopposed in the abscess. In my case, I sincerely believe I would have been better off not taking any antibiotics.

3) I would hate to have to have a tooth extraction and not be able to do it or have to use a set of pliers to do it. I have a way to do this incidentally, and all the equipment, but I am the only one who can do it, so I think I will need to train someone on what to do.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to countryboy123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 AM
Hiker

COUNTRYBOY-

Thanks for this thread. I'm interested in which antibiotic didn't work and what did. Please post info.

Thx.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,487 Posts

CB, this was a post I made about a year back.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=115703

Apologies for all the typos. I wasn't thinking too well when I wrote that.

I Know *EXACTLY* what you went through and I'm glad you're doing better, bud!

rich
Old 04-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 25,991 Times in 10,343 Posts

I had an impacted abscessed wisdom tooth over the new years break in 1991. I was away on holiday at the time. I will never forget that weekend and I had no access to any medication of any kind. What I did do was squeeze and suck on it. The flavour was hideous, my breath was apparently rank but it did reduce the swelling.

Things I have learned in my life.

1. You can squeeze an abscess the way you squeeze a pimple. In fact, it is a pimple. Once you squirt that stuff up the side of a tooth and out, the pain reduces enormously.

2. I know a woman who has a terrible fear of dentists (with good reason after the life she has lived) and she lances her own abscesses by shoving a needle down until she hits the motherlode.

3. Never take an antibiotic without a prescription. That's crazy. :P It's good you found it out, and it's good it didn't kill you.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,746 Times in 679 Posts

Abscessed teeth are nothing to put off seeking medical attention over. Years back I woke up one morning with my face swollen to the point I looked deformed. I had not had a problem so this was unexpected. By lunchtime my cheek was so swollen I could hardly see out of my left eye. I went to the dentist who sent me to the emergency room. I spent the next 2 days in the hospital receiving liquid antibiotics. The doctors told me they were trying to stop the infection from hitting my brain, which would have killed me. I ended up having to take some of the worst antibiotics I can imagine for the next 21 days. They killed every germ in my body - even the good ones. I threw up violently, couldn't eat and was miserable. I ended up having a root canal. All of this for an infected tooth. Please pay attention to your teeth. It can mean living or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to sherrieallen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,987 Times in 3,332 Posts

I lost two teeth last fall due to abcess. From the first twinge of pain to extraction was two weeks.

ORAJEL
ORAJEL
ORAJEL

Yeah there is some in my FAK now.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,987 Times in 3,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
....she lances her own abscesses by shoving a needle down until she hits the motherlode....
Holy crap, thats insane! How many has she had?

Maybe if she went to a dentist, they would stop coming back...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 05:17 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,096 Times in 4,524 Posts

Moral of the story. Brush your freaking teeth and eliminate the sugar.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 AM
who? what? me? No!!!

I have bad teeth and always have. Basicly it's some genetic disorder where I have no enamel on my teeth. My teeth begin rotting off at the gum level and I alot of times don't know there is a problem till the tooth breaks off, but usually they don't hurt at all, I have one now that broke off a couple of months ago, and it hurts occassionally.

I was told at 16 years old that I would have to have falsies by the time I was 21, well, so far I have beat it by 12 years, but many times I wish I would have just had it done and forgot about it.

Best advice I can give anyone who has tooth aches, go to your herbal shop and get some clove oil. every now and then I will get a tooth ache where ambesol and oragel won't work, rub a small amount of clove oil on it and almost instantly it is gone, course half my mouth is numb after that.

keep the clove oil on hand, it is a very strong antesthetic
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suburbanite For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,710 Times in 6,123 Posts

What helped me was a mouthful of booze. I did not swallow, but just held it in my mouth.

Sorry to hear your pain Countryboy. Glad you are recovering now. I have been through the same thing almost exactly as you describe. On Friday also LOL Antibiotics didn't do me much good either. Dentist told me for tooth abscess it takes longer to help because of the location and the little blood-flow to the actual cause of the infection. Mine was so bad, I really thought about taking my knife to it. But when I went to the oral surgeon, I knew there was no way it was coming out with a pair of pliers. Those tendons hold molars in TIGHT. The Oral surgeon was bracing his knee onto the chair and twisting his whole body. I have been looking at dental tools ever since. Still researching it as you just started.

But every time my tooth touched sometime it was like lightning down my cheek. You can join me and RandlK with threads on Survivalistboards on it trying to warn people!

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...hlight=dentist

I think Trixie is in the club also.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,211 Times in 1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivalguy72 View Post
Moral of the story. Brush your freaking teeth and eliminate the sugar.

FYI I brush my teeth every morning and have for decades.

I am diabetic and cannot eat sugar or sugary foods.

This person is a troll who was made to look like a fool in another thread and chose to attack me here.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Tell the truth, coward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy123 View Post
FYI I brush my teeth every morning and have for decades.

I am diabetic and cannot eat sugar or sugary foods.

This person is a troll who was made to look like a fool in another thread and chose to attack me here.
pretty sure he wasn't having a go at you. I thanked him because his statement as general advice was good. i never thought of him as taking potshots at any person, just giving general advice. Brushing does not protect against abscesses however - as we surely all know. flossing's more likely to do that.

nb toothpaste only protects for 12 hrs. Therefore to brush twice a day is best to be covered 24/7, and if only once brush at night, as you have less saliva going round the mouth at night and if there are plaque there they will do more damage.

I went through a phase of only brushing in the mornings for a period of my life and ended up with two tiny little cavities on the bottoms of my premolars in my lower jaw. gah.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:17 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,096 Times in 4,524 Posts

Correct Ab. I don't get into tiffs with people. There is nothing to gain from it. I have nightmares about something happening and no ability to do anything about it. A bad tooth can literally kill you. I use listerine every morning and night. Waterpic is good for getting between the teeth. I think it does better than flossing sometimes.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,170 Times in 835 Posts

glad to hear that you are feeling better...nothing worse than tooth pain!!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,164 Posts

Can't afford a dentist and had an absess tooth. I used 30 drops clove oil, 10 drops tea tree oil and 3 drop oregano oil.
Took a good 4 days
Couple drops every half hour or as needed. Swelling and pain went away tooth came out on its own.
Nasty taste but it was better than the pain.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Tell the truth, coward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alergyfree View Post
Can't afford a dentist and had an absess tooth. I used 30 drops clove oil, 10 drops tea tree oil and 3 drop oregano oil.
Took a good 4 days
Couple drops every half hour or as needed. Swelling and pain went away tooth came out on its own.
Nasty taste but it was better than the pain.
Not to be rude but you lost a tooth for want of a doctor's visit. How much money was a doctor's visit, that it was worth losing a tooth?

You can't get the tooth back.

I don't understand.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:54 PM
silenced

Thanked 3,299 Times in 1,519 Posts

camamile is another great one
add in wintergreen and pepperment eo's will help with pain and taste alittle
theives oil which has clove, but also cinammon rosemary lemon and eculyptus if i remember correctly will help with infection and pain alittle
hydrogen peroxide and water solution or hydrogen peroxide colloidal silver mouthwash a few times a day will help with infection
The Following User Says Thank You to Chey's Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 PM
silenced

Thanked 3,299 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Not to be rude but you lost a tooth for want of a doctor's visit. How much money was a doctor's visit, that it was worth losing a tooth?

I don't understand.
what could a dentist have done?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,164 Posts

Quote:

I don't understand.
It was loose anyway, coming out on it's own cost the price of the oils.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,710 Times in 6,123 Posts

Quote:
Things I have learned in my life.

1. You can squeeze an abscess the way you squeeze a pimple. In fact, it is a pimple. Once you squirt that stuff up the side of a tooth and out, the pain reduces enormously.
3. Never take an antibiotic without a prescription. That's crazy. :P It's good you found it out, and it's good it didn't kill you.
Some abscesses are too deep to squeeze and suck out. It depends on how deep it is. I have had one near the surface which I was able to see right under the gum and one that was too deep to even see. THAT was the painful one.

Anti-biotic killing you? Sorry that is dreamland. The only two ways that can happen is if you are allergic or if you happen to take expired tetracyklin. So chances of that are slim. You are more likely to die from OTC drugs than taking antibiotic.

Quote:

I don't understand.

When I went, the dentist wanted 2500$ all together and that was WITH INSURANCE. . 500$ for the root canal, they wanted to do a bridge (getting a crown for the two teeth next to the root canal-ed tooth to hold it in place). I had them pull it.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post: