Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM
1 Thessalonians 4:11

Default flour in mylar bags

Advertise Here

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but the search function is hard to use on my smartphone.

I think I'm going to be furloughed from my job soon, so I'm going to start making up 5 gallon buckets. I think I'm going to use 1 gallon mylar bags and put different stuff in one bucket.
My question is:
How much flour can I put in a 1 gallon bag? What about a 5 gallon bag?

Thanks.
HH
Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,800 Times in 6,710 Posts

I stored pancake mix in mylar bags 2 weeks ago, and I got about 5 pounds of mix in a single 1 gallon mylar bag.

The pancake mix came in a single 10 pound bag, I had to split the mix between 2 - 1 gallon mylar bags.

When storing fine material like flour in mylar bags, put some into the bag, put an oxygen absorber in, put some more flour in, put another 02 absorber in, put some more flour in, and then seal the bag.

With finely ground material like flour or pancake mix, the powder compacts and prevents a single 02 absorber from fully doing its job. So put 2 - 02 absorbers in the bag, and space them out.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,952 Times in 1,826 Posts

i thought things like flour and sugar dont need an OA but rather a moisture absorber?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,800 Times in 6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHER View Post
i thought things like flour and sugar dont need an OA but rather a moisture absorber?
Flour - yes

Sugar - no

If you leave an 02 absorber out of flour, the weevils will hatch and you will have bugs crawling around inside your flour.

Set a bag of flour on a shelf in your kitchen, go back to it in 4, 5 or 6 months later. If you have ever grabbed a bag of flour with weevils in it, its one of the grossest things you will ever feel. Its like grabbing a bag full of worms.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Flour - yes

Sugar - no

If you leave an 02 absorber out of flour, the weevils will hatch and you will have bugs crawling around inside your flour.

Set a bag of flour on a shelf in your kitchen, go back to it in 4, 5 or 6 months later. If you have ever grabbed a bag of flour with weevils in it, its one of the grossest things you will ever feel. Its like grabbing a bag full of worms.
I do the same thing with the 1 gallon mylar bags and it works great. I know there are a lot of sources for these bags but I get mine from the LDS online catalog. I get 250 7mil gallon size mylar bags for $94 plus tax with free shipping. Tough to beat that deal. They also have 100 oxygen absorbers in a pack for $12 also with free shipping.

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stor...3_-1_N_image_0

wtxd
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,957 Times in 2,238 Posts

I just researched this!... from what I have found most serious preppers store the actual wheat kernels and when they want flour, they grind the kernels... that's the way I am going to go... that way there is no worry about moisture, oxygen, weevils and other bugs.. if anyone sees a flaw in this, sing out, please!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1950 View Post
I just researched this!... from what I have found most serious preppers store the actual wheat kernels and when they want flour, they grind the kernels... that's the way I am going to go... that way there is no worry about moisture, oxygen, weevils and other bugs.. if anyone sees a flaw in this, sing out, please!
I think you are right when it comes to whole grains and such. If you want to store ready to use pancake mixes, etc, this is a way to do it. Best of luck. And I second what Kev said on weevils....nothing worse than going to the cupboard and finding them in your flour or in a box of whatever. Wondering if anyone knows of a good way to prevent them (other than sealing food up so they can't get in....seems they can get in still in a lot of cases). I have had flour in a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid with weevils in it.

wtxd
Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Proud Conservative

Quote:
Great idea, after you purchase a good grinder, wheat that you store should be available for use for years. What I like about bagging flour, is that it gives me a lead in supply that will be good for several years.
The Following User Says Thank You to SideSwipe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Not a flaw exactly, but... whole grains are not immune to moisture, oxygen or weevils either. The plus side to the whole grains is that they still have the protection of being in kernel form, which is how they grew in the field, which offers them some protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Allamakee County For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTXD View Post
I think you are right when it comes to whole grains and such. If you want to store ready to use pancake mixes, etc, this is a way to do it. Best of luck. And I second what Kev said on weevils....nothing worse than going to the cupboard and finding them in your flour or in a box of whatever. Wondering if anyone knows of a good way to prevent them (other than sealing food up so they can't get in....seems they can get in still in a lot of cases). I have had flour in a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid with weevils in it.

wtxd
The eggs were probably in the flour when you put it in the bucket. You put the lid on and there they were, tucked in all nice and cozy, with all that delicious flour. The advantage of the O2 absorbers is that the eggs may still hatch, but without O2, the larvae will die. Yummy-delicious larvae.
The Following User Says Thank You to Allamakee County For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamakee County View Post
The eggs were probably in the flour when you put it in the bucket. You put the lid on and there they were, tucked in all nice and cozy, with all that delicious flour. The advantage of the O2 absorbers is that the eggs may still hatch, but without O2, the larvae will die. Yummy-delicious larvae.
Thanks, that makes sense. What about boxed foods like rice-a-roni and the like? Is there any kind of food safe repellent that could be put in your kitchen cabinets to keep them away?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense. What about boxed foods like rice-a-roni and the like? Is there any kind of food safe repellent that could be put in your kitchen cabinets to keep them away?
I don't know about that, but you could always throw all new grain type stuff in the deep freeze for a week (max) to kill the eggs off before you store.

It's really important not to get those little miller moth eggs in your house. Much easier to prevent than to eradicate.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,957 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Not a flaw exactly, but... whole grains are not immune to moisture, oxygen or weevils either. The plus side to the whole grains is that they still have the protection of being in kernel form, which is how they grew in the field, which offers them some protection.
How about DE and 02 packets in the bottom of the sealed mylar bag containing the grain?... you think that would secure it long term?

PS.. I agree with the freezing
Old 04-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
How about DE and 02 packets in the bottom of the sealed mylar bag containing the grain?... you think that would secure it long term?
I don't use DE myself, but yes, O2 absorbers - I usually stick mine right in the middle of the grain.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,473 Times in 31,275 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHER View Post
Sugar doesn't need an O2 absorber because it's a natural preservative. Same with salt. But flour isn't and it will oxidize. Also, if there's any critter eggs in the flour, they can hatch and have a feast unless there is no O2 for them to breath.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
That's really the best way to do it, in my opinion. Whole wheat lasts a lot longer than flour and it's far more nutritious. Grinders don't have to be terribly expensive and serve multiple purposes anyway. But even those of us who store whole wheat, often store some white flour also.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Wondering if anyone knows of a good way to prevent them (other than sealing food up so they can't get in....seems they can get in still in a lot of cases). I have had flour in a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid with weevils in it.

wtxd
Food grade diatomaceous earth. They add it at the grain silos to keep infestations out and the packaged food industry uses it in baking mixes (like Bisquick) of all sorts for the same purpose.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
I don't know about that, but you could always throw all new grain type stuff in the deep freeze for a week (max) to kill the eggs off before you store.

It's really important not to get those little miller moth eggs in your house. Much easier to prevent than to eradicate.
I'm not sure I trust that method really. Afterall, those same eggs overwinter in the field just fine in some of the coldest states in the country. Besides, it's almost impossible to do in bulk.

But that's where diatomaceous earth comes in handy anyway.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I'm not sure I trust that method really. Afterall, those same eggs overwinter in the field just fine in some of the coldest states in the country. Besides, it's almost impossible to do in bulk.

But that's where diatomaceous earth comes in handy anyway.
True - thanks for that.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 AM
1 Thessalonians 4:11

Thanks for the help, everybody.

I know that whole wheat is a better long term solution than flour, but as we're just starting out with our serious prepping - I thought it would be prudent to stock up on some "mid-range" preps too. I read one thread here last night where a study was done and flour lasted around 10 years if stored correctly. I think this would work out well for our needs.

Now I just need to find some suitable buckets....

Thanks again.
HH