Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM

Default What do you make of this filter?

Advertise Here

It's biological/chemical rated (doesn't say nuclear so most likely not a full NBC) and got it at a surplus store for $20. I know with surplus store filters there's no guarantee they're effective and the guy there may not know what's he talking about or bluffing to make a sale. I plan to get new ones. Also I heard some of the C2A1s have been recalled. Sealed unopened tin can, somewhat beat-up looking but advertised as new. Here's what it says on the side:

4240-01-361-1319 (Bar code)
CANISTER, CHEMICAL-BIOLOGICAL
MASK (ASZM-TEDA), C2A1
1 EA.
LOT NO. MMB03B032-001

LOT NO. MMB01B023-010 (This is the serial on the second filter-I bought two, same C2A1)

I'm not sure on the expiration. The guy there (that one surplus is run by neocons, the "bomb them all" types) says it's good for another 20-30 years if unopened. Which I'm highly doubtful.

I have an Israeli civilian mask for now, fits 40mm filters but this one doesn’t have the drinking tube opening like other Israeli civvie masks. It's an adult size but still looks kind of small on me (I have a big head) although it fits tightly to the face even when unshaven.

The Israeli mask came with a NBC filter at a surplus. There's still a cap on the attaching piece, a blue thread, and a sticker seal on the opening so it looks unopened. Guy where I got it said it's good for another 10 years or so, out of a 20-25 shelf life? But I got him to admit the surplus filters aren’t always reliable. It’s German.

Zivilschutzfilter 68
70/5377
C

I know the mask itself works. But a gas mask is only as good as its filter.

(I know there's a thread already called C2A1-the Good the Bad and the Recalled)
Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Hardcore survival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance View Post

That's the only good site I know that evaluates masks and filters...

Hey, it all depends on how much you think your life is worth, and if you have a real risk or just a percieved risk.

I-131 (radioactive iodine) is a gaseous form, and particulate filters won't work. Activated charcoal filters are most likely to trap it, but the best prventive measure is Potassium Iodate tablets -IF AND WHEN they become necessary.

Unfortunately (or whatever) I don't trust my Government enough to inform me in time... -have you tried to get "official" FEMA mesurement level information out there lately?

Forget Japan, their constitution allows their Govenment to impose a news blackout on the radiation levels everyone is getting over there. -They are not even giving the workers at FukuSnafu any decent dosimeters to work with... turning them into a bunch of kamazombies!

- BC
Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance View Post
It's biological/chemical rated (doesn't say nuclear so most likely not a full NBC) and got it at a surplus store for $20. I know with surplus store filters there's no guarantee they're effective and the guy there may not know what's he talking about or bluffing to make a sale. I plan to get new ones. Also I heard some of the C2A1s have been recalled. Sealed unopened tin can, somewhat beat-up looking but advertised as new. Here's what it says on the side:

4240-01-361-1319 (Bar code)
CANISTER, CHEMICAL-BIOLOGICAL
MASK (ASZM-TEDA), C2A1
1 EA.
LOT NO. MMB03B032-001

LOT NO. MMB01B023-010 (This is the serial on the second filter-I bought two, same C2A1)

I'm not sure on the expiration. The guy there (that one surplus is run by neocons, the "bomb them all" types) says it's good for another 20-30 years if unopened. Which I'm highly doubtful.

I have an Israeli civilian mask for now, fits 40mm filters but this one doesnít have the drinking tube opening like other Israeli civvie masks. It's an adult size but still looks kind of small on me (I have a big head) although it fits tightly to the face even when unshaven.

The Israeli mask came with a NBC filter at a surplus. There's still a cap on the attaching piece, a blue thread, and a sticker seal on the opening so it looks unopened. Guy where I got it said it's good for another 10 years or so, out of a 20-25 shelf life? But I got him to admit the surplus filters arenít always reliable. Itís German.

Zivilschutzfilter 68
70/5377
C

The first filter is expired and the 2nd one will expire in two years. The izzy filter is about 40 years old. Get a 3M N95 filter they are the best on the market for an all hazards filter.l
The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I-131 (radioactive iodine) is a gaseous form, and particulate filters won't work. Activated charcoal filters are most likely to trap it, but the best prventive measure is Potassium Iodate tablets -IF AND WHEN they become necessary.

Unfortunately (or whatever) I don't trust my Government enough to inform me in time...
The same government that says the Gulf seafood is safe to eat and everything's perfectly okay with millions of gallons of Corexit dumped into the ocean and the air at ground zero was safe to breathe?

They found radioactive iodine levels in drinking water 18000% above the limit in some parts of the west coast, like San Francisco. And high levels across the country. Now I've heard they've not only not fully inform the public but have plans to raise the limit and say radiation is safe and some parts stopped monitoring altogether.

The good thing is, radioactive iodine only has a half life of about 8 days. It's the food chain contamination, cesium, uranium, plutonium, and the swath of fallout that keeps coming that's worrisome every day they can't fix the reactor. Drinking bottled water and food..packaged before 3/11 to be extra safe, should be safe. KI is in short supply nationwide.

Quote:
you have a real risk or just a percieved risk.
I'd say a biological release or a major pandemic is one of the biggest threats I see. With all these strange, mysterious diseases coming out of nowhere every few years. Also the threat of terrorism. SARs, Avian Flu, Swine Flu... And some of these seem very fishy. There's a real chance one of these days there's going to be a swine flu on steroids.

Quote:
The first filter is expired and the 2nd one will expire in two years. The izzy filter is about 40 years old. Get a 3M N95 filter they are the best on the market for an all hazards filter.l
I figured. MMB003..manufactured in '03 and MMB001 made in '01? Thought I'd just get a second opinion on it for clarification. The Drager (also protects against mercury vapor), North 40, and DP-P100 looks pretty good too. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Hiker

LOT NO. MMB03B032-001

MMB= Mfgr
03= year (2003)
B= Month (Feb)
032= lot interfix number
-001= lot sequence number
The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post: