Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 AM
knuckle up

Default Mosin Nagant

Advertise Here

Greetings,

I am considering picking up a Mosin Nagant 91/30 because A.) They are still powerful,relatively accurate guns B.) It would satisfy my nostalgic/historic side and C.) they're inexpensive and plentiful.

I've happened upon one locally that is in relatively good condition locally for $80.00. This will not be the first rifle I've fired,but it will be the first rifle I buy for myself which will be joined by a modern hunting rifle later on down the road as time and money allow. I will hunt medium to large animals with this rifle, for survival, not for sport.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this gun and any interesting/useful information about it. I have read that they are difficult to have fitted with a scope and I've seen some cheap scope mounts around that do not hold up long,but I plan to add an original WWII style Russian scope to it before long. I want to use it as the Russians used it in WWII. I decided on the 91/30 over a German Mauser because of the price of the gun and ammo availability in a potential SHTF situation. I will also add an M1 Garand to my stock at some point.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Suburban Cowboy

Hello!

I love my Mosin. I have an M44 carbine with a composite stock and whatnot, and it shoots great. When buying one, the big thing you need to look for is bore condition. When you look at it, remove the bolt and look down the entire bore against a bright light. Check for signs of wear, pitting, roughness, etc. The original ammo for these was corrosive, and if not cleaned before being stored, the barrel can come out looking like a piece of steel water pipe inside.

That's about it... if you are wanting to add a rear mounted scope, you'll need a bolt with a bent handle.

If you're looking to build a survival rifle out of this, the clunky wood stock ad a WWII era scope are not going to be the ideal setup for you by far.
The Following User Says Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,310 Times in 2,041 Posts

If its got a good bore on it, sounds to me like it will work just fine for its intended purpose as if without a scope.

I dont own one but have shot those owned by friends. I have seriously thought about getting one of the arsenal refinished sporterized versions on a few occasions. With ammo and the guns so cheap I have always thought these would make great survival guns for hunting.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Immortal

Thanked 1,507 Times in 632 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the Mosin - it will serve you well. I have had a pair of 91/30s and would not hesitate to hunt with either with iron sites. But the correct scope and mount you mentioned will cost far more than the rifle.

If it is a SHTF bolt action you are looking for you might want to consider a British Enfield. They have the advantage of having a 10 round detachable magazine vs. the Mosins 5 rd fixed mag. The Enfield also served admirably through both world wars too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Groovy Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 AM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,078 Posts

Always keep in mind that although inexpensive, they were made in a different time for a different people. I doubt anyone that held and shot a Mosin when they came out thought they were too heavy or kicked too hard.

If you are someone that is physical then you should have no issues. If you grew up on video games and dermal scrubs then maybe you should stick to something a little more breasty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jida For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Suburban Cowboy

Yeah, scope mounts for the Nagant are either cheap aftermarket, expensive aftermarket or very expensive original.

Your average run of the mill 91-30 costs around 100 bucks or less. A 91-30 with the original sniper scope on it runs $450 or more in good condition. If you're looking to use this as a survival/sport rifle, a commercially available mount will be a much more economical and logical option. Apart from your personal satisfaction, there isn't much reason to put an original sniper scope setup on a non-sniper rifle. They're really only valuable with matching numbers and an original bolt.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I see a bad moon arising

Thanked 1,738 Times in 679 Posts

As anickode mentioned, there's cheaper options for Mosin scope
mounting than to try to replicate the historically correct mount.

Here's a link to a couple of rail options that replace the rear sight.
No modifications to the rifle that can't be undone. (drilling, etc.)
http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mossc.html

And, if you find the recoil on the Mosin to be a little harsh, consider adding
one of these recoil pads:
http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html
To my understanding, the original Mosin stock was designed with the
Russian winter in mind. The length of pull on the stock is fairly short to
compensate for soldiers wearing bulky coats. The recoil pad will bring
the stock closer to "normal" length, really takes the bite out of the recoil,
and to my opinion, gives the stock profile a cleaner line / appearance than
the original factory look. (Also no permanant modification for the installation
of the recoil pad. Just unscrew the factory steel plate and screw the
recoil pad in its place.

Haven't personally tried any of the scope rails.
Thumbs-up on the recoil pad though.

Sounds like for $80, you can't go too wrong on your purchase unless
there's something horribly wrong with the particular gun you bought.
They're pretty simple and straightforward, and great value for the $$.
If the bore/rifling is decent, and the stock is solid, you did well.

Some other links you might find useful:

All sorts of Mosin info:
http://www.7.62x54r.net/

Military surplus replacement parts:
http://www.buymilsurp.com/

Mosin Nagant discussion forum:
http://milsurpshooter.net/forums/69/...ant-Forum.html

Mosin FAQ's
http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm

Parts Diagram and disassembly:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

Fixing the "Sticky Bolt" on your Mosin
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...esbs/index.asp

Humor -- AR-15 vs. AK-47 vs. Mosin Nagant:
http://mouseguns.com/compare.htm
Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,401 Times in 4,592 Posts

An excellent rifle with plenty of power. It's deffinately capable of taking any game in North America.
The Following User Says Thank You to rextex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Suburban Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rextex View Post
An excellent rifle with plenty of power. It's deffinately capable of taking any game in North America.
I probably wouldn't go up against a grizzly bear with one, but it's plenty capable for anything you might intentionally encounter in a survival situation, ie deer, elk, etc.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Objectivist

I have a 91/30 and an m39. It is a great rifle and one I highly recommend. Forget about the scope. you really don't need it and it detracts from the price if you need to resell it. As other posters have noted, check the bore. The counter bored models are not to be overlooked. They function just as well as the original rifling.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Always Gunnin

I have two 91/30's one is a 1944 and the other is a 1943. For the price you can't go wrong. I agree with others the original scope is way too expensive (at least for me). I have both of mine set up with the rails that replace the rear sight. One rail I paid 70 bucks for and the other I paid 20 bucks for and they have both held up for a couple thousand rounds a piece. Mine are both equipped with and ATI Monte Carlo stocks, 9-13 Caldwell pivoting bipods, slings and 2-6 power Simmons pistol scopes. Hell any gun under 100 bucks is a good buy if you ask me go for it.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 AM

i have a 1916 M91, 1938 M 91/30, and a 1946 M44 with the recoil pad... i wouldnt bother with the rail thing, i have one and i went back to iron sights after one range session, from what ive read i would try and avoid wartime productions as they are more "sloppily" put together, definatly read up on your stuff so you know what to look for when buying at www.7.62x54r.net its a ton of information.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 AM

I have several Mosi'n's, Great rifles and they go well with my PSL and FPK.

I have 2 Mosin Carbines I've "Sporterized", I used the UTG scope mount.
http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddeta...prod=MNTMNTR01
Best no-drill mount I've found.
Both my Mosin scouts have the ATI Stocks and Bent Bolts (Boltman.com), as well as LER Scopes with the UTG mount.

"7.62x54r Cause bad guys like to hide behind sh!t".
Old 04-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,538 Times in 686 Posts

Do your research there is a broad range of quality in Mosins depending on year and usage. Personally I look for the accuracy proofs on the base of the barrel (some folks say the proofs don't mean anything, but personally I like to see the accuracy proof stamps) and an intact crown that is tight with lands visible. I also prefer 1939 or earlier. The war time year 91/30 Mosins have a very rough finish and feel more clunky and less balanced to me.

I installed a rear sight scope mount on one of mine. I think it was an S&K mount. It holds fine but scope options are limited to either a red dot or a pistol scope. On one of the other threads the NC Star 6x pistol scope was recommended for that role. I went with an unlimited eye relief red dot, and I have no complaints.

I've been considering mounting an AK style rail to the same rifle which would allow me interchange my PSO between the AK and Mosin. I've been looking at this mount:

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/firearm...de-mounts.html

The downside is the necessity of a bent bolt. I've taken some rough measurements and I'm not sure that the standard bolt will clear. It is close. A cheek pad may be necessary too.

In all honesty the un-scoped Mosin is the most practical option for a survival rifle. Though I fully understand the temptation to customize a Mosin.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Pantomime Villain

Thanked 4,856 Times in 2,096 Posts

Don't just buy the first one you see. There's plenty about. I'd recommend getting one made in the fifties - chances are good it was never even issued. The M44 or M38 (no bayonet) carbines are handy in trucks. Polish made versions of the M44 are particularly well made.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,538 Times in 686 Posts

Here is the PSOP on a Mosin using a mount similar to the one I linked to. A similar mount is available for the SKS and many of the AKs come equipped with the rail. The PSOP is calibrated for both 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 so it would be interchangeable between all three.

The manual with my PSO scope provides the following with respect to elevation:

For Carbine type "Saiga" 7.62x39
100 meters 1
200 meters 2
300 meters 4

For Carbine type "Tigr" 7.62x54r
100 meters 1
200 meters 2
300 meters 3

If I was starting a Mosin scope mount project today I wouldn't look at anything other than a side mount. Being able to interchange the scope is a very attractive option. And the side rails for the Mosin are less expensive than other options even the rear sight mount options. This set up would be more similar to the original PO configuration but give more scope options in the PSOP line including red dot, night vision, and high magnification scopes.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaba1017 View Post
Here is the PSOP on a Mosin using a mount similar to the one I linked to. A similar mount is available for the SKS and many of the AKs come equipped with the rail. The PSOP is calibrated for both 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 so it would be interchangeable between all three.

The manual with my PSO scope provides the following with respect to elevation:

For Carbine type "Saiga" 7.62x39
100 meters 1
200 meters 2
300 meters 4

For Carbine type "Tigr" 7.62x54r
100 meters 1
200 meters 2
300 meters 3

If I was starting a Mosin scope mount project today I wouldn't look at anything other than a side mount. Being able to interchange the scope is a very attractive option. And the side rails for the Mosin are less expensive than other options even the rear sight mount options. This set up would be more similar to the original PO configuration but give more scope options in the PSOP line including red dot, night vision, and high magnification scopes.
that is SEXY!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Prepared

You really can't beat a Mosin for performance vs. price point. Me, I've purchased a few for use as stash guns. How can you go wrong with a working accurate rifle for less than 100 bucks?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Always have an exit

Thanked 5,655 Times in 2,183 Posts

Just do it.....
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Hiker

Location: On a clear day, you can almost see Colorado to the west..

I would do a little shoping.
I know 91/30s are dirt cheap right now.
However, I would buy a shorter version first.
To me the Model 44 is a lot handier, even with
the side folding bayonet.

PS, a slip on recoil pad from wally world or Kmart is
a GOOD idea.

Owner of one M44.
Owner of two 91/30s.
Owner of (nevermind the wife might read this) M39s
(Honestly dear, there is one in the safe, one in the closet, one behind the door....
I respectfully refuse to answer on the grounds it might tend to incriminate me)
The Following User Says Thank You to passin thru For This Useful Post: