Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Road Trip!!!

Default Putting a metal roof on pole barn. Ok to Use metal siding?

Advertise Here

I have a smaller pole barn about 16x20. The single layer of asphalt shingle is in bad shape. I would like to replace with metal. Can I use metal siding on a roof? Would I need to remove to layer of asphalt?

Thanks
BIH
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,016 Posts

Yes, you can put metal siding on the roof over the shingles. I have a 48' X60' building with metal siding on the walls and roof. On a building your size you will not have to worry about the combined weight of the shingles and metal on the roof, not so on a large building. If you need more insulation, now would be a good time to put down furing strips 2' apart across the roof with foam insulation in between the strips and then the metal roofing. If you don't have a special reason for leaving the shingles on, I would take a square point shovel and remove the shingles and check the roof plywood for water damage, etc. and replace as necassary and then a layer of roofing felt and then the strips and foam and then the metal roofing. Pops
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bearhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Dangerous Old Man

Thanked 1,176 Times in 523 Posts

By siding, do you mean what is on your house or what is on commercial shop buildings???

If it's the latter, then YES, you can.
The same material is used on the walls and roof of metal buildings.

Look around for a Metal Mart, Muellers, MBCI, or other metal building supplier and ask if they have "seconds".
Usually they will cut you a deal on a stack of seconds or cover sheets just to clean up thier yard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,088 Times in 3,060 Posts

I put metal over my shingles on my house. The difference in attic temperature was obvious immediately.

1"X4" lathe was installed first over the existing shingles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Trapper

If you're talking about corrugated sheeting, yup.

As for plain old aluminum siding, I don't see how it could present a problem unless you live in an area prone to hail. If it gets too beat up, the seems will probably leak.
The Following User Says Thank You to devron For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Road Trip!!!

I have looked online for pole barn steel siding at major big box lumber stores and have not found anything.

Do they sell pole barn siding as a separate product from metal roofing?

Thanks
BIH
Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Road Trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devron View Post
If you're talking about corrugated sheeting, yup.

As for plain old aluminum siding, I don't see how it could present a problem unless you live in an area prone to hail. If it gets too beat up, the seems will probably leak.

"corrugated sheeting" I'll try googling that
Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Almost home

Its the same material on walls and roof. It should be screwed down, furring strips will keep things cooler on the roof.

Brand names around here are Fabral and Everlast, 29 gauge steel. Differences between brands are in the protective coatings.

www.fabral.com
http://www.everlastroofing.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to carlnpa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,456 Times in 4,615 Posts

Had a metal roof on my house for YEARS. I really prefer it to shingles. Last forever and if you have a fireplace you dont have to worry about sparks landing on the roof.
The Following User Says Thank You to rextex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 AM

For a better roof take off the old shingles and put down a layer of 30# tar paper under the metal.
The Following User Says Thank You to imeasystreet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Target Shooter

Any lumber yard will be able to order you metal roofing. You probably have a manufacturer in your area. They are usually cheaper. I just bought some at around $2.30 a square foot.
The Following User Says Thank You to boiledfrog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 PM

make sure you use at least 1x material ontop the asphalt, and you will probly have a hard time finding online priceing for any building material, seems the price differs quite a bit from city to city state to state
The Following User Says Thank You to smoker9000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 AM

I've seen several homes with either corrogated barn tin or the R panels used in modern steel buildings, used for roofing. Either works well. The installers didn't use 1" furring between the asphalt shingles, just screwed it down to the roof. One residential roof has been that way for 20 years, and its in great shape. Another advantage to the tin roof is lower insurance. Be sure to inform your insurance agent.
The Following User Says Thank You to farmboyJD For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Target Shooter

There are several questions that need to be answered to give an acurate answer. I am going to assume the answers and I am going to assume the weather in MI is roughly the same as Maine. Being a pole barn, I will assume that it is uninsulated, if so, do not strap above the shingles and put foam insulation between the strapping. Big waste of money and if the building is eventually insulated you want an active air space between the roof deck and insulation so that you do not have condensation problems. I would put down two layers on 40 pound felt paper and put the metal of the top of the felt. Why? Metal roofing and shingles expand and contract differently with temperature. Two layers of 40 pound felt will be thick enough so the granules on the shingles will not wear through to the bottom of the metal removing the paint, galvinization or galvalume coating, which will cause the metal to eventually rust from the underneath. Most manufacturers will not warranty metal directy over shingles without felt paper in between.

If this is something that you have to purchase just go to your local building supply, some might stock set lengths of actual roofing in certain colors but they can also bring it in for you precut to the exact length, usually a little more money, this way you would only need to cut the last piece on each side of the roof to width and cut your trim materials if you use them.

Someone mentioned buying leftovers or cover sheets ant reduced rates, yes, that can be done. And, from experience, I can say most building suppy store will have them. You may have to cut and piece together a lot more but if materials cost is less and if you are doing the labor yourself, I would look into it.

Someone also mention they purchased metal for $2.30 a square foot, to me that is very expensive. I can buy metal roofing with accessories (all fasteners, trims, tape, ridge vents, and foam strips, from $0.95 to $1.30 a square foot in Maine.

I have a lot of expierence with metal roofing for homes and barns, for twenty years I owned and operated a log home manufacturing company, which included a sawmill, planer mill, retail lumber yard and a construction company and am a licensed architect in several northeast states. Because a down turn in the housing market and Home Depot and Lowes both opening up 15 minutes from my retail location I closed the business in 2007.
The Following User Says Thank You to muinmdw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 AM
who? what? me? No!!!

yes, you CAN use siding metal for the roof, however it won't be warranted by the manufacturer for that use. Most places sell the same material for both uses, no big deal, some places sell a lighter grade material, slightly thinner, and different paint finnish, for siding, but as I said, it will not be waranted for roofing use
The Following User Says Thank You to suburbanite For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 AM
who? what? me? No!!!

oh, and if going over shingles, use purlins first, never never never never never put metal directly over shingles
The Following User Says Thank You to suburbanite For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Land of the free my....

Thanked 5,083 Times in 1,569 Posts

We found that metal mart had the best prices in our area.

Craig
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpus Monkus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 AM
silenced

Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,520 Posts

we used metal mart 8 yrs ago, or something like that,

i think metal is a better way to go, no termites, huricanes, or fires can hurt them, as long as they are maintained they are damn near indestructible
The Following User Says Thank You to Chey's Daddy For This Useful Post: