Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 PM
To secure peace is to...

Thanked 6,478 Times in 2,154 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default Are you putting off medical procedures and health improvements?

Advertise Here

We are about 18 months away from Obamacare being fully in effect barring an overturning of the law (doubtful). Additionally, with the state of the economy and people losing jobs and thus insurance has everyone considered getting medical procedures now instead of waiting?

Here are some things I've been considering:

1) No longer delaying a surgery I've been considering (shoulder repair, arghhh).

2) Shedding a few more pounds for health and vitality reasons.

3) Continuing with my "don't-take-medicine-unless-I'm-about-to-die routine. I believe our bodies can becomes immune to medicines, even Tylenol and Benadryl if we over use them. Therefore, I probably only take about 5 or 10 pills per year.

4) Eating more of the fruits and veggies I grow this year.

5) Last year I cut out all caffeine from drinks (mainly Cokes) and only drink water and the occasional glass of milk. I will continue this campaign as well.

Anyone else considering things along these lines?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Hiding in plain sight

Thanked 1,228 Times in 372 Posts

Actually I've been hard charging for an ankle surgery I've needed for a long time. I go in 10 days from now. Its an outpatient procedure but very necessary and not possible if something happens so I'm glad I'm getting it outta the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Einrich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 PM
"The truth is out there."

I've been putting off dental work...one of the worst things you can do. I need to get it taken care of asap.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Prepared

I have barrett's Esophagus.....supposed to have an endoscopy done every other year to check on it and take a biopsy to make sure it hasn't progressed to cancer. I am on Nexium for it.....90 bucks a month after my insurance pays their portion.
This fall will be 4 years since my last scope....so yeah I'd say I'm putting things off.
I am kind of worried what is going to happen when Odumbass care is fully implemented.
My job had a really good above average insurance plan when I started it over five years ago. As soon as Obama rammed the health care reform down our throats my employer cut our coverage quite a bit.
My deductible used to be 250 bucks per person with a 1500 dollar max out of pocket per person. My co-pay used to be 15 percent, they paid 85 percent.
Now my deductible is 500, max out of pocket is 3500, and co-pay is 75/25.
The plan cost's me less than 200 dollars a month for my 4 person family so I'm still not complaining too much because I about fall over when some friends and family tell me how much their employer charges for insurance.

I am worried when the Oretard plan kicks in full blast.....is my employer just gonna dump our insurance plan and force us to buy our own? That is the rumor/speculation.

I was planning on getting my endoscopy done this year to get caught up....but I just spent 1500 bucks having a root canal/crown. That pretty much blew my planned medical spending for this year. Oh well, there is always next year.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:35 PM

I mainly need hearing aids, but have put them off for years to make sure the kiddos get their medical needs met. Not getting them won't kill me, but it really sucks trying to hold an intelligent conversation when you cannot understand what is being said to you. I work for a fairly small company and am afraid that they may be forced, due to costs, to go with federally supplied insurance when Obamacare kicks in.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Prepared

I need a cataract removed. The doc said to wait one to two years. I told her that I'd prefer to have it done now because I didn't know that I'd even have health insurance in two years, but she wouldn't approve it. Grrrr.

And I'm terrified of eye surgery (which I hear is a breeze) but I'm willing to do it voluntarily now because I'm fearful of waiting for what's coming down the pike.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Do you smell that?

Thanked 48,331 Times in 3,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligan78 View Post
I have barrett's Esophagus.....supposed to have an endoscopy done every other year to check on it and take a biopsy to make sure it hasn't progressed to cancer. I am on Nexium for it.....90 bucks a month after my insurance pays their portion.
This fall will be 4 years since my last scope....so yeah I'd say I'm putting things off.
I am kind of worried what is going to happen when Odumbass care is fully implemented.
My job had a really good above average insurance plan when I started it over five years ago. As soon as Obama rammed the health care reform down our throats my employer cut our coverage quite a bit.
My deductible used to be 250 bucks per person with a 1500 dollar max out of pocket per person. My co-pay used to be 15 percent, they paid 85 percent.
Now my deductible is 500, max out of pocket is 3500, and co-pay is 75/25.
The plan cost's me less than 200 dollars a month for my 4 person family so I'm still not complaining too much because I about fall over when some friends and family tell me how much their employer charges for insurance.

I am worried when the Oretard plan kicks in full blast.....is my employer just gonna dump our insurance plan and force us to buy our own? That is the rumor/speculation.

I was planning on getting my endoscopy done this year to get caught up....but I just spent 1500 bucks having a root canal/crown. That pretty much blew my planned medical spending for this year. Oh well, there is always next year.

I just had the samething done and found out I have Barrets and a small ulcer. They said the ulcer was healing and the Barrets is pretty early so I should be OK. They put me on Omeprazole (sp?). You should look into that as it is available in an OTC form. I have to go back in May for a follow up.

I have had acid reflux for a number of years, I lived on antacids for years, I should have had this done a long time ago, glad I finally did. They said to cut out alcohol, not too hard and caffine. Now the cafine will be the hard one to cut as I drink sweet tea by the gallon. But if its what I have to do, then Im going to do it.

I wouldnt put things off, I learned my lesson now. Im not even thinking about ObummerCare, its just the overall health aspect. In our modern age of advanced medical care there is no reason to put it off. But I also have a real good insurance plan, so that really helps.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM
"The truth is out there."

About Barret's and Esophageal reflux. Getting it treated now is obviously important. There are many things you can do to minimize the symptoms.

Cutting down on carbs is the BEST thing you can do. Carbs expand your stomach and make it much easier for acid to reflux up into your esophagus. No soda, coffee, nicotine, alcohol, bread, pasta...etc.

The bigger problem I see with SHTF is if the cause of your GERD is a surgical problem (relaxed esophageal sphincter) than you will need to store some meds long term.

I face this fact everyday. I hate to say it but if the SHTF tomorrow, like REALLY hits the fan, the first place I'm going is a pharmacy. And I have no problem straight up taking what I need, and it helps to know what you are looking for.

All these posts about gardening, food storage, water storage...but medical care is just as important.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ziggenation For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 11:35 PM

Thanked 1,173 Times in 656 Posts

I had a hernia and a skin lesion done in November 2010. Tried to get my doctor to remove some excess skin (lost 90lbs the last 2 yrs)...no go! I have to have cataract surgery on my left eye and then 2 weeks later they will do the right one. Dental, well I need a new partial...gotta find the money for that one this year.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Prepared Firebird

Thanked 9,880 Times in 2,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggled Mind View Post
I need a cataract removed. The doc said to wait one to two years. I told her that I'd prefer to have it done now because I didn't know that I'd even have health insurance in two years, but she wouldn't approve it. Grrrr.

And I'm terrified of eye surgery (which I hear is a breeze) but I'm willing to do it voluntarily now because I'm fearful of waiting for what's coming down the pike.

If that doctor won't approve the cataract surgery, using the reasoning of "we need to wait until it ripens more".......I suggest getting a second opinion from a different doctor. That outdated premise about waiting no longer applies. It could be done right now.

And please, PLEASE don't be afraid of the surgical procedure for the cataract removal. NO ONE could have been more scared than I was about having someone cutting on my eyes. But, when I had cataracts removed a couple of years ago, it was a walk in the park. Most of the time is taken up with putting eye drops into your eye to numb it. By the time they are done with that......someone could drop a rock on your eye and you would not feel it. LOL You will be awake for the actual procedure, but you won't feel anything. Your eye may feel like it has sand in it for a couple of days afterward.......but that is about it.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeryamerican View Post
I just had the samething done and found out I have Barrets and a small ulcer. They said the ulcer was healing and the Barrets is pretty early so I should be OK. They put me on Omeprazole (sp?). You should look into that as it is available in an OTC form. I have to go back in May for a follow up.

I have had acid reflux for a number of years, I lived on antacids for years, I should have had this done a long time ago, glad I finally did. They said to cut out alcohol, not too hard and caffine. Now the cafine will be the hard one to cut as I drink sweet tea by the gallon. But if its what I have to do, then Im going to do it.

I wouldnt put things off, I learned my lesson now. Im not even thinking about ObummerCare, its just the overall health aspect. In our modern age of advanced medical care there is no reason to put it off. But I also have a real good insurance plan, so that really helps.
I went through the same thing....I would eat a bottle of tums every 3 days or so, the biggest bottle you can find in the store. Put it off for years not really understanding what was wrong with me. I have tried all the OTC stuff and it doesn't even begin to help the problems with my guts. The Prevacid used to work for me before it was available OTC. My prescription was 30mg a day. Prevacid quit working after a couple of years. I'm on Nexium at 60mg a day now.

I got the same diet speech as well....no booze, no caffeine, no spicey, no greasy...blah blah blah might as well live on bread, water, and lettuce.

I still eat and drink all the crap I'm not supposed to....I just don't do it more than about once a week and all is well.

I just can't wait until we can get Obama out of office and hopefully his stupid healthcare reform will go away, or be modified for the better.
I was skeptical when Obama was elected, I didn't expect him to be able to fix things overnight. He did step into a helluva mess.
I sure as heck don't know enough about politics to know what the answer is to our problems, but I do know that he isn't doing anything except digging us a bigger hole. I really fear that we are past the point of no return.....even if the next president has the perfect plan for fixing our country I think we have a long hard road ahead of us.
I really don't know what to think about it anymore. I'm so convinced that things are going to get continually worse for the foreseeable future that I'm actually starting to regret having kids. They are the most fun I've ever had and the best thing I've ever done with my life......but part of me wonders if their future is going to be so crappy in our country that we shouldn't have brought them into this mess.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,054 Times in 795 Posts

My husband was popping Tums constantly a while back - more from habit than from real need. I tried to get him to slow down but he didn't think there was a problem. He began to have periods of total incoherency, dizziness, inability to walk properly and total forgetfulness. I had no idea what was wrong with him but was very worried. Finally, he went to the doctor for tests and diagnosis. He had to have an MRI to see if he had some strange brain disease. His calcium levels were out of the ballpark by so far he was on the edge of killing himself. He stopped taking Tums and within days he was as normal again as he will ever be.

No matter your reason .. be careful, please, with taking those Tums. They do have a use but they too can kill you if overdone! The MRI set us back several grand (with insurance!) and he could have done himself irreparable harm had it gone on much longer.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Are you putting off medical procedures
Yes. Haven't been able to afford health insurance since the downturn in the economy and my divorce. I have a simple thing I need taken care of. That said, I want repeal of obama care. I have never depended on the gov't and never will ....

D