Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 5,602 Times in 2,213 Posts
Default Volcano Grill/Stove Review

Advertise Here

Ok, here we go...I purchased this a few weeks ago, to add to my general cooking prep options, as it can use charcoal, wood or propane, with an attachment...I bought mine w/out the propane attachment, as i have a nice Kenmore Propane Grill, wanted to use this in a more conventional manner, car camping, SHTF moment, etc. to preserve my gas for more immediate needs, like powering the propane genie i want to buy..

While the wife is away, the meat eaters come out to play!!!

I am surrounded by woods, have lots of firewood at my disposal, mainly from the golf course maintenance...Also, figured i could simply grab a small bag of charcoal and get on with it, which is what i did tonight...I have a 5 gal bucket of normal charcoal stashed, will add another too....

Check out the pics, i grilled this nice ribeye, and baker tonight on it, first time setting it up...it had this coating on it, that i let burn off..

It got to hot coals in approx 12 minutes, and i was cooking in 15 total....It does work as a volcano, funnels the heat right up to the grill....I cooked the ribeye in approx 10 minutes ,5 min per side....I did pre-nuke the bakers for 2 minutes and finished on the gill...

I will say this should be in everyones kit, for SHTF moments and general grilling...I plan to take it next weekend on a 3 day fly fishing trip..I will use scavenged wood and report back then..

I love it, period...easy to transport, popped up easily, loaded with charcoal, fired away, and 30 minutes later, i was grubbin...

Don't hate me....I enjoyed with a nice Pinot....RCF
Attached Thumbnails
P1020689.JPG   P1020690.JPG   P1020692.JPG   P1020693.JPG   P1020694.JPG   P1020695.jpg  

P1020696.JPG   P1020697.JPG   P1020699.JPG   P1020701.JPG  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I am Jody

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,204 Posts

Have you ever made a red potato wrapped in foil over the fire...I promise it will be the very best! Where did you get the grill? I'm lwith you on the multiple ways of cooking. I think I might pick one up for the cabin!!

Good review the pics of the final product sold me, thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irish Militant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Militant View Post
Have you ever made a red potato wrapped in foil over the fire...I promise it will be the very best! Where did you get the grill? I'm lwith you on the multiple ways of cooking. I think I might pick one up for the cabin!!

Good review the pics of the final product sold me, thanks!
I own stock in Reynolds!!! Wrap taters, veggies ,etc. in tin foil all the time...Trout too...

Of course, i still need some for my hat...

I bought from amazon....

A great addition to the kit....you won't be sorry...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,442 Times in 1,595 Posts

link to the stove please.

Thats my kind of survival

great Job!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to cheftothestars For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftothestars View Post
link to the stove please.

Thats my kind of survival

great Job!!!
Just because i can suffer, doesn't mean i should...been there, done that....

Here you go..

http://www.volcanogrills.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,442 Times in 1,595 Posts

went to the site and it says its not available........sold out already ?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,147 Times in 2,513 Posts

Just looked at the website and links. I agree with your choice not to get the gas attachment. I also have a nice 2 burner coleman stove that works great, is probably more useful for campouts as we make 2 dishes at the same time.

However, the neat thing about this volcano stove is the chimney effect for coal or wood. I like the wok use, the dutch oven use etc. Maybe in our future.
The Following User Says Thank You to KaBar67 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Lux in Tenebris

They say you can use only 12 briquettes, iwill test that theory..It did get raging hot...I like the fact that i could pre-load it with some, collapse it and be ready to go at a moments notice.... I will test that concept too and report back....
Old 04-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Prepared

Redneck on the cheap version:

Charcoal starter chimney from local hardware store, on sale pre-season cook out stuff - maybe 10.00 new.

Old Grill grate (you know, from that Wally World grill that burned thru after one summer's use)

Look at the basic design of that Volcano stove - you could use a charcoal chimney starter, a coffee can.... it doesn't take much.

Here's another novel idea: Pack a foldable cooking grate (some are as cheap as 5.00), wrapped in foil, use over the coals from a small fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to eatrbbq For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Target Shooter

When you cook on the volcano where do the fat drippings go?
The Following User Says Thank You to medicineball For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,554 Times in 4,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
Don't hate me....I enjoyed with a nice Pinot....RCF
Yes, I hate you.

Ribeye, tater, and red wine and I was not invited!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
When you cook on the volcano where do the fat drippings go?
Briguettes first, to get cooked off and flavorize the foods....I did dump the ash into a paper bag, did not notice any drippings...will investigate by light of day tomorrow...

Pretty clean little contraption overall...
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Yes, I hate you.

Ribeye, tater, and red wine and I was not invited!!!!!
Next time, i will post dinner time...you're invited...just bring a nice CA red....
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrbbq View Post
Redneck on the cheap version:

Charcoal starter chimney from local hardware store, on sale pre-season cook out stuff - maybe 10.00 new.

Old Grill grate (you know, from that Wally World grill that burned thru after one summer's use)

Look at the basic design of that Volcano stove - you could use a charcoal chimney starter, a coffee can.... it doesn't take much.

Here's another novel idea: Pack a foldable cooking grate (some are as cheap as 5.00), wrapped in foil, use over the coals from a small fire.
I agree, there are other less expensive, ad hock options available...I am a big believer in buying the right tool for the job, and for me, this does it...Now, that said...I have also made a stacked brick version and improvised a sewer pipe stove too....
Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 PM

Last year I scored the original volcano at my favorite old time hardware store. In investigating the product prior to purchase, I called the current owner/company. He was shocked I found an original model in new condition that was manufactured by the previous owner. The old model is the same concept, but does not collapse and comes with a large aluminum dutch oven. He still had leg extensions bringing the unit up to a convenient height which he sold me. I am a big green egg guy for grilling and wanted this unit for bugging in on my property and use of the dutch oven for versatility for cooking. I store store real lump charcoal for my BGE and Kingsford for the volcano in 50 gallon food grade buckets(used to store olives) for emergency/long term storage use. I think the new model is great and portable. I recommend this for your preps.
The Following User Says Thank You to clbravo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Default VG used as fire pit

Ok...another test done...A couple weeks ago, i took my VG on a 3 day camping/fly fishing trip to Western NC...

It packed nicely in the car, and i had it set up in minutes once we hit the campground..lots of fallen branches, misc wood laying about...

I had afire going the entire time, never worried about it getting out of control, etc...

i started with small stuff, added larger branches, finally some split wood that we were using on the major bond fire...

Now, i cheated..used fire ribbon..i place small amount on some bark, laid the kindling on it, lit the ribbon and viola, fire...

clean up was a breeze, just made sure no embers were left, dumped it out, closed it down, put in bag and packed away...

I could have grilled something, but we had lots of food to eat with the group...This was strictly to have my own little fire pit, drink Jack, talk schitt with my buddy...

all in all, great little contraption, highly reccomend one in everyones kit...
Attached Thumbnails
P1020718.jpg   P1020719.jpg   P1020721.jpg   P1020744.jpg   P1020783.jpg  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Default Marinated & Herb Lamb Chops

Ok...here's another session on what i did last night..Kinda wet, dreary, misting, so i figured i'd BBQ some Lamb Chops up....

I pulled out the VG, set up on glass patio table, loaded it with 24 regular charcoal briquettes, added some fluid, and viola, fire...

I let em sit approx 12-15 minutes, and went to town...

Now, this time i added the flat, round diffusor plate, that sits over the coals...This helped to reduce dramatically, the flare ups that are common with lamb....

I adjusted the vent 1/2 way and was cooking nicely....

approx 20 minutes later, dinner was served with saute'd veggies, and wine...

Overall, i am thoroughly impressed with this grill and can't recommend it enough...

MY next adventure is in may, camping out in SC along the river..This time i plan to use it as a fire pit and grill, strictly using fallen wood..I will report back then.

A great 100.00 investment.....
Attached Thumbnails
P1020806.jpg   P1020809.jpg   P1020812.jpg  
Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 PM

I've had a volcano for about 2 years and it is amazing...especially for dutch oven cooking. I was skeptical early on about the '12 coals to cook a meal' claim, however, I have actually started with 12 and had to remove a couple to keep temps from getting too high.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsltz View Post
I've had a volcano for about 2 years and it is amazing...especially for dutch oven cooking. I was skeptical early on about the '12 coals to cook a meal' claim, however, I have actually started with 12 and had to remove a couple to keep temps from getting too high.
I have been wondering if that claim was accurate, will try it out...great device yes...
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Ok...made a mod to the grill, for the grill actually...One thing i noticed is that if placed on earth/grass/etc., the bottom of the grill gets very hot and will scorch the ground...So, in the interest of safety, i decided to add a barrier/reflector plate...

I stopped at lowes, picked up a 24 x 24 22ga sheet of steel and cut a circle...this way i can open the grill on top of it and not worry about scorched earth..it all fits into the canvas bag too...no weight added that i can tell....

can prolly use it as a griddle too....
Attached Thumbnails
P1020840.jpg   P1020841.jpg   P1020842.jpg   P1020843.jpg