Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Keep your fists up.

Default Slingbow?

Advertise Here

Anyone made and used one of these? Is it viable/leathal? Any ideas on riging it for fishing? How many pound draw do you think it compaires to?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,517 Times in 944 Posts

Mine is in the works...my first attempt seemed to be as lethal as my full size compound. the arrows seemed to go just as deep and it is 1/4 the weight...not to mention much smaller and more versatile. The sling bow is not anything new. In fact humans have been hunting with similar devices for a very long time. The fishing harpoon used s similar principal and is very effective. When i was a child i would spear fish by hand, i cannot help but feel that an arrow would have more power than the sharpened sticks i used as a child.

With a good broad head i bet it will have more than enough penetration to bring down a deer. it is part of my base station kits' hunting pack, i also dit his bow fishing mod...check out google and youtube, there are many vids and articles on them...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Keep your fists up.

I Googled it. Usually I always search a lot before asking other board members questions but for some reason I though this was such a strange/uniqe idea that doing a proper search never crossed my mind.

Looks like I'll have to set a little money aside for the clip on bracket.
http://www.youtube.com/user/wilderne...10/V4BTTsShRaY

And make one of these fishing add ons too.

I think I'll add a second swivel on the PVC tube for some tracking twine to help with finding shot game in thick brush. Wonder if it's AZ legal.
Any ideas of what length to make the tracking line?
Old 04-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

As far as I know the laws only differentiate between cross bows and compound, re-curve and long-bow There are IBO minimum standards in some states which basically say there is a minimum draw weight to hunt with so you would have to measure the fps and draw weight of their sling bow then decide what weight arrow is best. You could probably get some extra penetration with one of those kinetic arrow inserts...

My experimenting has been far less scientific. the arrow goes where I want it and goes as deep as my compound in my target...good enough for me.

FYI; IBO standards allow 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight. I’ve seen long bows that barely break 230 fps yet still would put an arrow clean through a deer. My first bow, which I still shoot, is a single cam 50#. It chronographs at around 220 fps. 55 ft lbs is plenty for most all north-american game and 25 ft lbs is considered minimun for small game.

Kinetic energy of an arrow can be found by using the formula KE=(mv²)/450,240 where m is the mass of the arrow in grains and v is the velocity of the arrow in fps.

the bracket Dave has is welded on...im still trying to find away to do it without adding a lot of weight...
The Following User Says Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Keep your fists up.

I made a few phone calls and the guy in my local Sportsman's Wearhouse wants me to bring the set up in after it's put together so he can check it out, measure my pull and the poundage so he can get me set up with some proper weight/sized arrows with heads. I wonder how much its going to run me.

He said to go with some Gold Tip arrows (mod. 3355 or was it 3555) cut to size and to use a 3 blade Montec 85 grain Broadhead (if going for hog and deer).

I'm not sure what to use for small game though, quite a few different types. I like the idea of a rubber "bunny buster", seem it would help keep the arrow in good shape in case of a miss.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZman View Post
I made a few phone calls and the guy in my local Sportsman's Wearhouse wants me to bring the set up in after it's put together so he can check it out, measure my pull and the poundage so he can get me set up with some proper weight/sized arrows with heads. I wonder how much its going to run me.

He said to go with some Gold Tip arrows (mod. 3355 or was it 3555) cut to size and to use a 3 blade Montec 85 grain Broadhead (if going for hog and deer).

I'm not sure what to use for small game though, quite a few different types. I like the idea of a rubber "bunny buster", seem it would help keep the arrow in good shape in case of a miss.
there are special small game tips, ill post some pics later...im getting yelled at to hurry as me speek lol...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Prepared

Made 2 so far, okay but not my first choice just another option. Found it easier to pull the arrow with a gold tee replacing the nock.
The Following User Says Thank You to graf56 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL_BS_88 View Post
there are special small game tips, ill post some pics later...im getting yelled at to hurry as me speek lol...

here ya go; they are called "Judo Points" and are perhaps the most widly used small game tip used...

I keep two judo points, two bow fishing tips and three broadheads...magnus stingers, magnus buzzcuts, muzzy or G5's...all are very good. I hear the magnus stingers and buzzcuts are best "all around" tips for anything from turkeys to large upland game.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Keep your fists up.

Eneded up going with carbon arrows, I'll felx test em. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat103856580 .
I removed the nocks and glued on the golf tees, so much easier to grab than the nock. Also the heavy pull bands came in
The stock bands where way too light.
I'll be posting pics this weekend and do some testing (various grain field points) at my local range.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:37 AM

i recently made one of these after seeing it in a post here. i can say it seems to put out enuff power to take down a deer but i wouldnt want to use it to hunt unless i had to. im having problems with porpoising because, with my wrist rocket, i cant get my whisker biscuit mounted high enuff. im using carbon arrows with 66g field points. i did make a bracket on my mill out of aluminum but when the whisker biscuit is mounted high, the sling hits it when i release the arrow. i removed the bracket and zip tied it back to the wrist rocket frame because i didnt want to break my whisker biscuit. if you compensate by holding the arrow lower than you would want to, the porpoising wasnt as bad. i havent tried with the golf tee replacing the nock, instead i cut two small holes in the leather patch on the sling to make a nock. next trip to the bow shop im going to buy some d loop string and tie a make shift d loop and try my release lol. i have come to the conclusion that the majority of my problem lies with bad form and bad release.

all and all, after 30 min or so i was hitting my target 4/5 times at 20 yards with about 3-4in penetration. my target was a burlap bag stuffed full as i could get it with mylar. my 65# martin single cam will sink a field point into same target with about a 1/2in sticking out the back using aluminum arrows and 100g field points. the sling bow is no where as powerful as my bow but im confident, with broadheads, you could take a deer if you had too (survival situation). as for fishing, i never bow fished so i cant help you there, but i can say this will definitely be going in my bob.

i couldnt take a guess at how many lb it amounts to, so i hope this helps give you a idea ^^
The Following User Says Thank You to Jagernaut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Dave put a "new" vid on youtube about his slingbow...looks to be a promo to his sling bow DVD he is selling. Still has some great info, including how to make break-down arrows he also shares a very good tim on making your own fishing/ small game tips...once i can test them and make sure im not loosing anything i will probably remove the judo tips and fishing tips and just put a few broadheads and some field tips with his mod...

and showing the accuracy:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Target Shooter

NY law said illegle so I didn't make one and I never throw lawn darts either
Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny View Post
NY law said illegle so I didn't make one and I never throw lawn darts either
what isnt illegal in NY or CA? lol
The Following User Says Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
what isnt illegal in NY or CA? lol
taxes and whining
Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglefeet View Post
taxes and whining
LOL! yup...i've always told my friends that if you catch me in either of those states you should probably run the other way
Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Keep your fists up.

Quote:
Dave put a "new" vid on youtube about his slingbow...looks to be a promo to his sling bow DVD he is selling. Still has some great info, including how to make break-down arrows he also shares a very good tim on making your own fishing/ small game tips...once i can test them and make sure im not loosing anything i will probably remove the judo tips and fishing tips and just put a few broadheads and some field tips with his mod...

YouTube - SlingBow DVD

and showing the accuracy:
YouTube - New Sling Bow
Sling bow attachments are now available!!!
http://stores.thepathfinderschoolllc...Categories.bok
Old 07-17-2011, 01:36 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,374 Times in 879 Posts

I like Jeorge's sling bow design.
(he is also a member here) http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSpr.../3/oz3ruRsh-HY

Also believe another member on the boards used the design aswell. sure seems compact to be so devastating. While we are on the subject, anyone know of any laws pertaining to using such a weapon for hunting white tail? Would it simply be a draw weight and broad head requirement as it is for uhh '' normal'' archery?
TO THE OP, sorry the link to the vid didnt post with a separate player. You really should check out the vid however!! It is already posted in some or Jeorge's threads as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to davis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Target Shooter

I have tested the slingbow concept and here are my conclusions.

1. Any slingbow kind of works, but even a good slingbow will only perform on the level of a very mediocre recurve bow.

2. Draw weights are useless when comparing slingbows and bows. Rubber works entirely different than bow limbs. Only the chrony can tell you wether or not an arrow is fast enough for the job.

3. A self slingbow is much easier to make than a self bow IF you have some rubber. So in an emergency situation, a slingbow is a viable option.

4. In a non emergency situation, I do not recommend hunting "big game" with a slingbow. The shot is weak, even with a broadhead you need to hit the perfect spot for an instant kill.

Jörg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoergS For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergS View Post
I have tested the slingbow concept and here are my conclusions.

1. Any slingbow kind of works, but even a good slingbow will only perform on the level of a very mediocre recurve bow.

2. Draw weights are useless when comparing slingbows and bows. Rubber works entirely different than bow limbs. Only the chrony can tell you wether or not an arrow is fast enough for the job.

3. A self slingbow is much easier to make than a self bow IF you have some rubber. So in an emergency situation, a slingbow is a viable option.

4. In a non emergency situation, I do not recommend hunting "big game" with a slingbow. The shot is weak, even with a broadhead you need to hit the perfect spot for an instant kill.

Jörg
Here are my thoughts;

1. A Properly built and tuned sling bow has been just as effective as my full size recurve. Two date I have seen it kill hogs and dear without discrimination.

2. Agreed

3. Agreed

4. With any bow you need perfect shot placement...it’s a bow and arrow thing, not a sling bow thing. A sling bow is an incredibly viable option for those skilled and patient enough to learn the skills. I will always recommend a full size bow but that is not always possible to pack in the same way that a handgun may be your only option.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:

1. A Properly built and tuned sling bow has been just as effective as my full size recurve. Two date I have seen it kill hogs and dear without discrimination.
Here, I disagree. A well made longbow with a heavy arrow outperforms a slingbow hands down. This does not mean a slingbow is necessarily weak. The biggest issue is that a slingbow is not prestretched, so the accel phase is shorter.

If you prestretch the rubber, it looses power very quickly. A good recurve will loose power much slower, you can keep it strung up for hours and not notice the difference.

When you shoot balls, this is not a problem since you can simply draw out longer. But the arrow limits the total draw length.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoergS For This Useful Post: