Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM

Default Where to buy bulk in Western NY

Advertise Here

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, so I can't get at the state sub-forums. I live in Western NY (Rochester).
I'm just starting to store bulk food, and have found places on the internet like Walton Feed, but as I've read the shipping can be expensive for buying bulk food. I heard Costco had bulk food- but we don't have Costco in our area.
-- Need advice on economical way to buy and self-store bulk foods in my neck of the woods.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Prepared

There are a couple Sam's Clubs (Rochester and Henrietta):
www.samsclub.com/
and a couple BJs Wholesale Club:
www.bjs.com/

And look at this Google Maps search:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=roches...k%3A+bulk+food
The Following User Says Thank You to PastTense For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2011, 01:04 PM

Welcome aboard Rvander. Hilton here.
PastTense has got it. Sam's and BJ's are the biggies.
Only others I could add would be Aldi's stores, several around Rochacha, usually great buys on regular canned food, not bulk though.
The other would be the Bishops Store House in Canandaigua.
Haven't been there yet but planning a trip soon.
Info here:
http://are-you-ready.org/Bishops_Store_House.html
The Following User Says Thank You to NavySeabee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Hiker

Perinton here-

I agree with the above, I also have a fair sized stash of Wegman's store brand cans of fruits and veggies.

My source for dehydrated veggies: harmonyhousefoods.com

right now is not a great time to try to get freeze dried foods and other long term supplies, I'd advise getting a large larder and basement store room of grocery store type foods. Geting 12 weeks worth of that type of food can keep you busy for a while.

Oh yes, http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ ships for only $4.99 I've used them and had no complaints.

Last edited by HFTB-PFTW; 03-31-2011 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: add honeyville grains
The Following User Says Thank You to HFTB-PFTW For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 PM

Default Thanks!

Very helpful --thanks!
I spent the past 3 days putting 120 linear feet of shelving in my basement storage room, and I got a big berkey, so at least I've started
Once again many thanks for the tips!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM

I just found this Amazon seller (no affiliation) http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html...A34S2NBKKS5E44 and while the shipping appears high, it's for the first item, and everything else is just about $2 or less additional. With the prices that low, it looks pretty good for dry goods. The stuff will need much better packaging (think about investing in a good quality vacuum sealer) but they have a huge variety of things like dried veggies, powdered cheese and all kinds of other things. They have other ordering options (ebay and website) but the Amazon prices look best so far. And definitely, Aldi is a great place to stock up, and as long as you check the exp. dates, Big Lots can be an even bigger steal, too.

Also think about getting a dehydrator. I love mine and actually very much enjoy dehydrated veggies in all kinds of foods. I just picked up a vintage Excalibur (a high end brand) for $5.99 at Salvation Army, and I've picked up supplements to my American Harvester dehydrator at thrift stores as well.

I'm not religious by any means, but the Mormon/LDS folks have the storage/disaster preparedness stuff down. Here is a page with links http://www.myldslinks.com/emergency.html and I've seen videos with dehydrating and other tips. It's not too late to get to growing food in WNY this time of year if you already have enough rudimentary gardening knowledge and time to plan and get it going, then can and dehydrate as it comes into season.

Also... I discovered earlier today that those vac-seal foil packs of tuna are given something like a 5 year shelf life! Keep your eys peeled for anything with a long shelf life!
The Following User Says Thank You to On_the_Rocks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFTB-PFTW View Post

right now is not a great time to try to get freeze dried foods and other long term supplies, I'd advise getting a large larder and basement store room of grocery store type foods. Geting 12 weeks worth of that type of food can keep you busy for a while.
The problem with the freeze dried/long term food suppliers is that they are back-ordered for most of their products. But if you plan to get this stuff eventually, I see no reason not to order it now if you have the funds (as well as stocking up on grocery store type foods). The sooner you order it, the sooner it will arrive. And prices will only go up in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to PastTense For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Default Where to buy 5 gal pails and lids and mylar bags?

OK, so now I get the food where you good folks have advised--
and I've been reading up on packing/mylar bags/oxygen absorbers/6 gal pails.

The web site I looked at sells #10 6 gal pails/with lids, #6 gamma lids, #12 mylar bags, and a bag of oxygen absorbers (100): total price shipped: $233.

I'm pretty sure i can trust the web site order to be good food quality stuff, but do i really have to pay $23 each for a 6 gal container with the accessories?(not counting food!)?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Hiker

an example here: Say youwant 4 buckets of rice. In the food grade bucket, you do not also need to use a mylar bag. the bucket and an O2 absorber of the right size is fine. Only on one of the buckets do you need the gamma lid. That will be the bucket you open first, the gamma lid lets you open and close it easily. The other 3 buckets have the cheaper lids.

Use smaller mylar bags for a bucket with several tyoes of beans in it (again, an example)

You can also use diatomaceous earth instead of an O2 absorber for the many pails of grain you could end up with. I've also heard about people just using aluminum trash cans for storing grain in - after washing and drying the cans well.