Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 12:28 PM
temu temu is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Them gold-bearing hills of the Mother Lode!
Posts: 9,296
Thanks: 26,002
Thanked 25,009 Times in 7,888 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default Calling all McGuyvers...Homemade Propane/Gas Conversion "Kit"



Advertise Here

Here's the thing...your out of gas for your generators and other small engines but you do have plenty of propane stored and a way (wet leg) to fill smaller bottles.

You have no store bought propane conversion kits, but you do have pressure regulators, hose, gas valves, etc., as well as tools to rig something...what do you rig up?

Do you rework your carb main jet for direct propane intake and render the carb useless, or do you use the carb and run propane into the air intake directly?

These are valid possibilities, but just looking for additional ideas for the best way to do this if need be...and be able to adjust the air/fuel ratio for a constant RPM...not a variable RPM.

Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
charlie505's Avatar
charlie505 charlie505 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manhattan - Liberal Land
Posts: 2,123
Thanks: 4,395
Thanked 2,060 Times in 961 Posts
Default

i just bought a new gas stove - it came with the replacement jets to convert to propane!

A pressure regulator for a BBQ should work - have to look into it too.
Natural gas pressure is not that high.
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie505 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 PM
cwi555's Avatar
cwi555 cwi555 is online now
schrodinger's cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,329
Thanks: 8,380
Thanked 7,639 Times in 2,373 Posts
Default



Forgive the ms paint, it's all I have available at the moment. This reducing ring should make any of the above work when placed inbetween the carb and intake. (assuming it's properly gaged and prevention of backflow is accounted for)

The yellow lines would be the gas/lp etc feed lines, insert ring between carb and intake, the lower half would probably need to be half the diameter of the upper half, and the gas flow rate throught the nozzles (yellow lines) would have to be on the high side.

This was the first idea off the top of my head and may or may not work.

There it is for what its worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwi555 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM
temu temu is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Them gold-bearing hills of the Mother Lode!
Posts: 9,296
Thanks: 26,002
Thanked 25,009 Times in 7,888 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi555 View Post


Forgive the ms paint, it's all I have available at the moment. This reducing ring should make any of the above work when placed inbetween the carb and intake. (assuming it's properly gaged and prevention of backflow is accounted for)

The yellow lines would be the gas/lp etc feed lines, insert ring between carb and intake, the lower half would probably need to be half the diameter of the upper half, and the gas flow rate throught the nozzles (yellow lines) would have to be on the high side.

This was the first idea off the top of my head and may or may not work.

There it is for what its worth.
But wouldn't that restrict the air intake? I would think perhaps more on the lines of direct intake before the butterly in the carb?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:16 AM
cwi555's Avatar
cwi555 cwi555 is online now
schrodinger's cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,329
Thanks: 8,380
Thanked 7,639 Times in 2,373 Posts
Default

It would both restrict and increase the velocity of the air intake. The idea is to get away from modifying the carb so that the ring could be removed and the carb still operate normally. Most of the natural gas/LP motors I've worked on tend to have smaller intakes than their gasoline breathern.

After reading your post and the initial off the cuff response, I've been looking into it. There are commercially available tri fuel kits already on the market.
http://www.propane-generators.com/a-c_kit_list.htm
From the price of them, I can't see going through the struggle of reinventing the wheel when these are readily available for < 200 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by temu View Post
But wouldn't that restrict the air intake? I would think perhaps more on the lines of direct intake before the butterly in the carb?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 AM
RevSmith RevSmith is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Green Bay WI
Posts: 274
Thanks: 341
Thanked 299 Times in 137 Posts
Default

A small LP leak can lead to a big thu-WUMP noise as the garage spreads itself across yours and the neighbors yards. Building an LP carb just to see if I could-good learning experience. I'm all for making something by hand, but like Cwi posted, the kits are out there and not too expensive.

Google Impco, download the master catalog (low res version is o.k.) Page 18 has a nice drawing of how an L.P carb works. Catalog is for large engines, but it will give you some insite on what to think about-cfm, displacement, vacuum lockoffs, etc. What ever you do, be safe!!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:38 PM
ldrider2000 ldrider2000 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 67
Thanks: 43
Thanked 80 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I remember seeing a guy on the net running a lawnmower on propane. He just stuck a hose in the intake, left the throttle wide open and regulated the rpm with the propane valve. Crude but it worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to ldrider2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2011, 02:12 PM
arleigh arleigh is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: southern california
Posts: 9,600
Thanks: 5,184
Thanked 8,502 Times in 4,466 Posts
Default You have to have governed RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temu View Post
Here's the thing...your out of gas for your generators and other small engines but you do have plenty of propane stored and a way (wet leg) to fill smaller bottles.

You have no store bought propane conversion kits, but you do have pressure regulators, hose, gas valves, etc., as well as tools to rig something...what do you rig up?

Do you rework your carb main jet for direct propane intake and render the carb useless, or do you use the carb and run propane into the air intake directly?

These are valid possibilities, but just looking for additional ideas for the best way to do this if need be...and be able to adjust the air/fuel ratio for a constant RPM...not a variable RPM.

Thoughts?

The generators capability of maintaining 60hz is very important and added load attempts to slow the engine ,and the govener ha to be enabled to compensate accordingly .Just the same as driving your car and assending a hill.
You need a link on the throttle that will appropreately open a needle valve,dispencing gas. The problem is the force required to make that transition.
The carb it's self already has the right size throat and choke plate and throttle plate , the trick might be to drill a hole between the throttle plate and the manifold for a fitting capable of delivering the propane from the alternate valve source,and being able to tune it .
Ideally though while you have he oppurtunity to do something before the event to start wih . Or start expirimenting on your own now .
I may have the same situation brewing here so it is a worth while investment .
I just happen to have a propane carb but it is not built for the engines I have,, way too big and several components are missing as well , and it is very old ,like me .
Just a thought though,, having that option does open a lot of other doors such as methane gas , made of mulch and manure . I'm working on that as well .
Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 PM
HomerB HomerB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 96
Thanks: 5
Thanked 109 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrider2000 View Post
I remember seeing a guy on the net running a lawnmower on propane. He just stuck a hose in the intake, left the throttle wide open and regulated the rpm with the propane valve. Crude but it worked.
That's pretty much exactly what I did.

But with a generator, you'll need an "on demand" regulator that supplies propane based on the load of the engine. You don't want to have to go make adjustments to the propane valve every time your fridge kicks on.

I've experimented with the "lawnmower" method, and it works. It'll run my generator, but the 15 HP engine needs more gas than the 3.5 HP mower. All I had was a small propane bottle that I use on my mower.

The propane conversion kits you can buy online usually have a plate that bolts inbetween the carb and the intake that has a bung to hook up the propane hose. Then, they also come with an on demand regulator that is controlled by engine vacuum to keep the RPM constant given the engine load and propane supply.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 PM
IPG0d IPG0d is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Taught McGuyver Everything He Knows

Simple quickest is a turkey cooker the regulator and hose drill whole in air cleaner a dab of silicone and your good up to 120 horse start with squirt of flammable fuel gas ,starting fluid etc set rpm with temp control knob will give you steady rpm


Now if your asking how to set a fixed rpm governed engine to maintain a given rpm under varying loads that's a different story you will want one of these $79.00 dollar thangys you can hook up the line to air cleaner bottom of carb etc e-mail me if you need pictures [email protected] {ps you will need a standard propane regulator before the demand regulator (thangy) start same way as above or pull a bunch or you can add 10 bucks for a primmer button or even stick a hose on the vent port and suck for a second to prime been running mine for a year 24/7 on $1.39 propane
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Propane Mower Conversion (with pics) HomerB DIY - Do It Yourself 18 05-25-2011 04:18 PM
Propane! AndyNY Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 03-25-2011 06:36 PM
E85 vs Propane FinalFrontier94 DIY - Do It Yourself 4 03-04-2011 09:21 AM
Homemade Conversion Cylender dcliffhanger Black powder 1 06-24-2010 10:45 PM
Propane silentmaster101 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 12-17-2008 07:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net