Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Prepared

Default Norinco M14

Advertise Here

Ok. I have a chance to get a Norinco sporter M14. From what I've read, they are hard to find. I like the 308 round and wanted some opinions. He wants $900 for it. Is this a good deal or am I just fixated on an M14?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,783 Times in 981 Posts

Check the head spacing.If is is good grab it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR_SLOW For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Prepared

OK here's where it gets tricky for me. I've never gauged head spacing on a rifle before. I do have some machining experience, but just don't know the application. Any manuals or videos out there to show me. I'm usually a good student when it comes to mechanical things.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,540 Times in 688 Posts

The Norinco M14 is under $400 new. However the only retailers I have found for the rifle are in Canada.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaba1017 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Hiker

You are not getting a new imported M14s from Canada if you live in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaba1017 View Post
The Norinco M14 is under $400 new. However the only retailers I have found for the rifle are in Canada.

I bought my M14S for $750 and it was one of the better rifles that came into the country. I sold it...the Polytech/Norinco clones were very good and sought after due to the forged receiver. The only US company that offers a forged receiver is LRB and you will pay a premium for that forged receiver.

If you do buy it...get a USGI bolt and send it off to Warbird...let him do the USGI conversion and you will have piece of mind.

The M14S are getting tough to find in good condition...only you will know if it's worth the $900 initial investment.
The Following User Says Thank You to munchie3409 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,010 Posts

I bought my last M14 for $350, slightly used...
Old 03-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,439 Posts

I have a few Norinco M14S rifles, and as of now....1 ploy-tech M14S. Decent rifles overall from my experiences with them. As already mentioned, they sport forged receivers, which were basically reverse engineered using the M14 service rifle as a base. Most are well within M14 drawing specifications. China uses the metric system, so some parts such as the threads on the bbl used to install the castle nut, the castle nut itself, and the gas lock are metric threads.

BTW...... LRB ARMS is not the only forged M14 receiver out there other than the chicom rifles.

www.762mmfirearms.com

The above company sports a forged or cast receiver.

A few other points regarding the Norinco M14S that I have found out first hand.....

1. Check the headspace prior to firing the rifle. If unsure as to go about this, have a smith who knows his way around this type of rifle check it for you. I have one that is sporting it's OEM bolt, and have put close to 8000 rds through it after buying it used. I used to check headspace after every 500rds or so, but dont shoot it as much anymore. Headspace is fine. No issues with the "soft bolts" either, although I hear that others have run into this. Warbirds has been mentioned already, but to add to this.....Tim can put together a fine rifle for you if you want a GI bolt installed. He will use the OEM bbl, or another bbl if you like. I have another Norinco M14S that he put together for me yrs ago, and she is a dandy.

2. The chrome lined bbls that these rifles sport are very well made, and produce decent precision for a std weight bbl. The twist rate is 1/12in (Just like the M14's sport). Look for the markings on the bbl, such as "made in China. Some have the importer stamp on them as well. (CAI). They are usually marked as "308" on them as well.

3. I have had good and not so good luck with the rear sight assemblies, so would recommend that you examine this one your lookin at closely, to ensure the rear sights can be manipulated as they should. Some will have "WCE" markings on them, but are not actual WCE (USGI) rear sight assemblies.

4. The op-rod is another forged unit, and is forged from one hunk of steel. With the exception of TRW...... all of the other manufacturers of GI op-rods made them from two hunks of steel.

5. The flashider is a faux flash hider if it is the org. OEM FH. Some were cut off just in front of the castle nut, thus eliminating that "evil" lookin thing altogether when it was imported.

6. Trigger groups are fairly decent components, but some are a little tight fitting, especially if your using GI mags in the rifle.

7. I'm not a big fan of the "chu wood" stocks that the OEM Norinco M14S rifles sport, and usually swap it out with a GI wood or synthetic. Be advised that the connector lock is a tad different vs the M14 Service/M1A connector locks. If you plan to use a GI synthetic stock laters, their is enough space to allow the connector lock to disengage itself whilst firing the rifle, while it is sitting in a GI synthetic stock. This is a very easy and inexpensive fix however. In the past, I take a piece of popcycle stick, and glue it into place so that the connector lock cannot come out on it's own.

8. Gas system: Well made, and built to specs with the exception of size. The gas cylinder is bigger in diameter than a GI unit, so the gas piston is also bigger. No big deal, but do not expect a GI dimension gas piston to function inside a chicom gas cylinder.

9. Current Chi com M14S rifles imported into Canada: I'm not from Canada, so have no hands on with them. I'm only refferring to the rifles imported into the states before the import ban ended it.

10. Overall fit and finish: Crude as compared to U.S. M14's, and the SAI M1A's, but very serviceable from my experience with them. They usually sport the typical machine marks that one doesnt see with the U.S. versions of this design.

11. Comparison with the SAI M1A: Good luck finding an M1A for $750 bucks. On the flip side, SAI has a lifetime warranty that travels with the rifle...new or used. The Chicoms have none. This is why I like to turn them into my very specific SHTF/hog slayer/ general purpose "survivalist M14".

12. Comparison pics:
Note: The rifle below with the scope mount installed is a custom built M14S Tanker, built off of an Norinco M14S receiver. The rifle without a mount = an SAI M1A-A1.

This is a closer pic of the receiver..

Note: I have seen some Norinco M14S rifles with the receievr heel markings (as most all others of this design sport), and have seen them with markings on the side of the receiver just behind the bolt stop. Also seen some. (like this one), without any markings on the heel or on the side.

Note: Both rifles are sittin in GI synthetic stocks. In the case of this specific NorincoM14S "Tanker" pictured...... I did the connector lock conversion....among a whole list of other things to it. I paid 500 for the rifle, and have another 400 into it via the parts, and after I sold off the parts I didnt need. $900 total, and have the very specific M14 I wanted, to include the scope mount.

I'm already hip deep in an LRB M14S project right now, but if I wasnt, I would be very interested in another Norinco M14S. 750 aint all that bad ifn's ya ask me brother Will he come down off of 900 any?

Hope this helps some. If you decide to buy it, please post some pics of it here, and feel free to ask additional questions.

11B
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,157 Times in 801 Posts

Ahhh, only thing Canada is good for M14's Now try and buy a PISTOL, Canada! =) $900 is decent price, but I still remember old prices... Ammo can be found cheap. Its a forged reciever, unlike Springfield stamped Its the little parts made in China that scare me Though the Norinco 1911 is good As are their SKS and AK Not the best but decent. Too mass produced for me For $900 you can get a AK74 and several thousand rounds, plus mags. Your call

308 is great, but not everywhere!!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty86suk View Post
I bought my last M14 for $350, slightly used...

Nice lookin rifles brother

Is the stock an OEM stock on your M14?

what type of scope mount are you running on it? Looks like an ARMS 18 from the pic, but not certain, so figured I would ask.

11B
Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachson View Post
Ahhh, only thing Canada is good for M14's Now try and buy a PISTOL, Canada! =) $900 is decent price, but I still remember old prices... Ammo can be found cheap. Its a forged reciever, unlike Springfield stamped Its the little parts made in China that scare me Though the Norinco 1911 is good As are their SKS and AK Not the best but decent. Too mass produced for me For $900 you can get a AK74 and several thousand rounds, plus mags. Your call

308 is great, but not everywhere!!
Any little parts in particular that your scared of?

Just ask, and I'll tell you what I have found over the course of the last few decades I have owned an shot these rifles.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 06:22 PM
CrackerJack Kid

Does Norinco and Polytech have official websites?

I would like to see the different models!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, only thing Canada is good for M14's Now try and buy a PISTOL, Canada! =)
Yes, we can get the Norinco/Polytechnologies M14's (called M305's) which I have one on order and finally heard the shipment will be in May 31st! $429 is the going rate:

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-305.shtm

As for pistols I have two; a Glock 17 and a Taurus 24/7 Pro, bought one privately and the other at the local gun shop without issue (in Canada that is).
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,783 Times in 981 Posts

In the United States I paid 600.00 for a Polytech and 600.00 for the Norinco. Both weapons already had a American bolt installed and other modifications done to except the new bolt. Both weapons were like brand new. The guns shoot great. I bought a tri rail assembly for each rifle. I mounted a Vortex long range scope to one of them.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:12 AM
M1A All the Way

Meet Happy. Happy was $350. Yes, she is from Canada. Can you see the smile on her face? What a gal! By the way, the receiver on that rifle is worth $900 alone, so yes, it is a good price. PS - this is a 2010 Norinco M14S.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Travel Light

Thanked 1,863 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Ahhh, only thing Canada is good for M14's
What a nice thing to say about your LARGEST trading partner in the world, and friendly neighbour to the North....
Please be respectful to us Canucks on the board. I'm not going to come on here and talk smack about any country, even the U.S.A.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Ahhh, only thing Canada is good for M14's Now try and buy a PISTOL, Canada! =)
Do you think we can't get pistols in Canada? There's very little restriction here for pistols. A simple 1 hour test and a $25 fee is all we have here for your pistol license. People in USA on the other hand should prepare for more strict gun laws than Canada will ever have.
The Following User Says Thank You to SelfSufficient For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Hunter

Very unlikely any of that gun control stuff will ever pass at the federal level... We can't pass a budget, how are we going to pass massive gun control bills? The bill MIGHT make it in the senate, but all republicans will vote no and alot of democrats will vote no aswell out of fear, and it will just get shot down in the house...

It's a massive joke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettboat For This Useful Post: