Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,697 Posts
Default John Wayne died from Radiation

Advertise Here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne

This I didn't realise, After filming "The Conqueror" in Utah 91 of the 220 cast and crew died of some form of cancer.
The US government had tested Nuclear bombs in Nevada just down wind of the filming location.................
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBtheBUTCHER For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,954 Times in 6,728 Posts

There was a show on the discovery channel (I think it discovery) about John Wayne, and how a lot of people from the movie "The Conqueror" died from cancer.

Besides the radiation, a lot of people smoked, drank, and had bad eating habits.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,450 Posts

it was said that the all the actors had a lifestyle that was going to put them into grave because of the drinking and smokeing and eatting habits that they had
Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,727 Times in 3,519 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that anyone born after WW II had been exposed to fallout from ground bursts.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,954 Times in 6,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by home in oz View Post
I thought I read somewhere that anyone born after WW II had been exposed to fallout from ground bursts.
There are some charts out there that show the rates of cancer in the USA, and the location to the nuclear test sites.

It seems that places that were downwind from the nuclear test sites - even by hundreds of miles - have elevated cancer rates.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,177 Times in 507 Posts

Lawrence Solomon: Plutonium for Pluto

Plutonium, one of the most feared radioactive substances on earth, may in fact enhance human health, according to unexpected new findings published in the journal, Health Physics.

The new findings involve old animal experiments conducted on beagles in the 1970s and 1980s by the U.S. Department of Energy, to determine the dangers to nuclear workers of inhaling plutonium alpha particles. As expected, the study back then found that plutonium alpha particles when inhaled led to lung cancers, and the more that was inhaled, the greater the number of cancers.

http://opinion.financialpost.com/201...ium-for-pluto/

And at this point we can stop. The original study showed that inhaling plutonium leads to cancer. Now all of a sudden, just when GE and the nuclear power industry needs it, a "re-examination" of that data "discovered" that magically, low exposure to radiation can be good for you. And if you believe that I have a glowing Japanese watch to sell you.

I always wondered where those creative accountants went after the collapse of ENRON. I guess they are working for the US Government now.

This smacks of the "hide the decline" manipulations used to claim humans are causing global warming, and appears at the same time that EPA has decided to raise the maximum level of radiation considered safe just enough to get GE off the hook for class-action lawsuits from sick Americans.

Remember the Melamine scandal, where the US Government was screaming bloody murder about this plastic compound appearing in baby food imported from China? Then it was discovered the same material was in baby food made in the USA, and the FDA suddenly raised the maximum safe exposure level of Melamine in baby food to just above what the US companies were using.

So, after years of being told that a terrorist with a briefcase full of dynamite laced with radioisotopes could render an entire US city uninhabitable, we have six reactors designed by General Electric in various stages of melt-down and leaking all over the northern hemisphere, and suddenly the government and media are telling us not only is it safe, but will be healthy for us.

Are you willing to bet your life they are telling you the truth this one time?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 14,305 Times in 4,256 Posts

Well my dad had a autographed pack of Camel cigarettes from whom he called one lung John and his war story on how he got the autographed pack of Camels is he and some other Navy personnel got to play poker with John Wayne during the war and my dads only comment on the poker game is that John Wayne smoked the cigarettes faster then the Navy personnel could feed them to him.

My dad told very few stories about WWII and all but one that I recall were the ones that made him laugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,411 Times in 4,748 Posts

I had a good friend an co-worker that grew up in the backyard of the nuke testing grounds in the the early 1050s. They used to let the kids go outside on the playgrounds and watch the results of the above ground nuke tests. They would see the dust clouds pass overhead.
He died of cancer in his mid 50's. He had a bout with muscle/skin cancer in his 30s but extensive surgery fixed that. He was convinced that observing the tests was the problem.
Who knows.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,697 Posts

Trouble is neither way of getting cancer is good, but Im putting my money on the Nuclear hazard.

Watch Japan in 20 years to see how many people start dying of Cancer from the fallout there.
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBtheBUTCHER For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Proud "Neo-Confederate"

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
There was a show on the discovery channel (I think it discovery) about John Wayne, and how a lot of people from the movie "The Conqueror" died from cancer.

Besides the radiation, a lot of people smoked, drank, and had bad eating habits.
Yep I watched that one as well
Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 4,829 Times in 1,545 Posts

In regards to plutonium being good for you. Way back when we had radon mines here in Montana. You would go sit inside these mines for awhile. My Dad had terrible hay fever and he would go sit in these mines and he said he always felt better afterwords. Just a tidbit for you to think about.
He did not die of cancer.
The Following User Says Thank You to crankyfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,286 Times in 3,181 Posts

John Wayne died of stomach cancer. He already beat lung cancer early in his life that was caused most likely by his chain smoking.

Wayne also drank like a fish most of his life, and in his last years chewed tobacco and smoked cigars. Any of these could have contributed to his death. As Hank 2222 pointed out that many of those who worked on the movie also had the same high risk habits that were popular at the time.

91 of 220 sounds high but I would love to see what the statistics are for cancer in the public at large before I buy this.
The Following User Says Thank You to METALHEAD1 For This Useful Post: