Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Trapper

Default ruger mark III 22/45

Advertise Here

Well I just bought one at the local gun show. I must say I'm a bit disappointed in it. I had several fte and one ftf, but hopefully it'll smooth out and it was just ammo related. I was using Winchester high velocity 40 grain. After shooting it I tore it apart and again I must say that was a nightmare. After about an hour of tinkering I got it back together. I was really impressed by the accuracy of it. It's an absolute dream to shoot and hopefully the fte and ftf was just ammo related. I'll take it out tomorrow again and try some different rounds.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Thanked 2,615 Times in 953 Posts

I just got mine 2 wks ago and yes, that gun is accurate but a real bear to break down. I've read on other forums bloody knuckles are the rite of passage. LOL! The bolt stop pin was near impossible to get back in without a mallet and the gun wrapped in leather on a vice.

Do NOT use 36gr, it doesnt like it. I have about 2k rounds through mine and haven't had a jam w/ 40gr Winnie X's yet. I'm working on breaking down the gun every week until it's bearable to reassemble so I don't have to worry about an in-the-field strip.

I embedded some white laundry stick into the rear sight (the "U") since I like the Glock rear sight and tipped the front sight white as well... helped a lot on different targets and various distances.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,495 Posts

HA!
A bit shocked by the disassembly, are we?
Welcome to the club!

Don't know about your malfunctions. I'd clean and lube it really well with something light. 22LR ammo is notorious for leaving everything gummy.
I use bulk pack cr*polla almost exclusively and haven't had a problem.

Good luck and don't lose that booklet, or you'll never get the darn thing back together again!
The Following User Says Thank You to BuellerBueller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 09:05 PM

A lot of the manuals are wrong when you put the bolt stop pin back in. If the manual says to insert the magazine, do not. If it says to leave the mag out, insert the mag. It will go back together a lot easier, trust me.

Let me clarify, when you put in the pin and are placing the main spring housing back in, the manual either says, insert the mag, or says nothing about the mag. That's the problem. The Ruger Mark III is one way and the 22/45 is the other. Some people with a 22/45 have the regular re-assemble instructions and vice versa.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Listen to Johnny Cash

In my case I had no problem flipping and fondling everything (mainspring, etc..) but just how TIGHT everything was (barrel to grip frame and aligning the holes, then how tight the bolt-stop pin... made it interesting. I had read up before hand on the "tricks" but wasn't prepared for how much force it took to seat things.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 PM

Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by britzen View Post
In my case I had no problem flipping and fondling everything (mainspring, etc..) but just how TIGHT everything was (barrel to grip frame and aligning the holes, then how tight the bolt-stop pin... made it interesting. I had read up before hand on the "tricks" but wasn't prepared for how much force it took to seat things.
My 22/45 is well acquainted with my rubber hammer.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuellerBueller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,095 Times in 4,088 Posts

Congrats on the new plinker. I bought one last year and really enjoy it. This video helped me with disassembly/reassembly. Good Luck.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,591 Times in 2,804 Posts

I have a love hate with mine. Awesomely accurate and easy to shoot. frustrating jam o matic and skeered of disassembly too. Oh well.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Learning All the Time

I got one a year or so ago and I think it is a total POS. It shoots 2" groups at 10 yards from a rest. I thought it might be me but it didn't shoot for a group of experienced USPSA shooters. It has one of the worst triggers I've ever felt. I'll probably crown the barrel when I get time. No FTFs or FTEs.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca View Post
I got one a year or so ago and I think it is a total POS. It shoots 2" groups at 10 yards from a rest. I thought it might be me but it didn't shoot for a group of experienced USPSA shooters. It has one of the worst triggers I've ever felt. I'll probably crown the barrel when I get time. No FTFs or FTEs.
Yeah, something doesn't sound right with that trigger. Everyone who has shot mine has complimented how nice the pull is. I'm a newb to shooting (90 days) and I'm hitting consistent dime size groups on the bull at 7 yds, and 2" groups left handed (I was told to start learning weak handed shooting now in my development).

I'd be interested in hearing how that barrel crowning works for you.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Realist

I just bought one as well and put about 500 rounds of federal bulk pack through it one day last week. No FTE ...2 FTF's but that was definitly ammo...the rims had been fully struck. Mine is extreemly accurate and a reall joy to shoot. Not really happy about the way the mags load...my thumbs were a bit tore up after loading 50 mags that day but overall I'm very happy with the firearm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranger72 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Realist

Quote:
Yeah, something doesn't sound right with that trigger. Everyone who has shot mine has complimented how nice the pull is. I'm a newb to shooting (90 days) and I'm hitting consistent dime size groups on the bull at 7 yds, and 2" groups left handed (I was told to start learning weak handed shooting now in my development).

I'd be interested in hearing how that barrel crowning works for you.
My trigger is great as well!! It sounds like there is something wrong with that specific pistol.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Listen to Johnny Cash

I've heard nothing but accolades about the Federal ammo.. now i just need to locate it and buy a ton. Anyone who has had FTF problems at my range said the Federal cleared the problem up... but it is a bit disappointing that the 22/45 isnt an "eat all" machine....
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Learning All the Time

I had to go grab it out of the safe and play with it. The trigger is lousy, but I'm use to 2 lb 1911 triggers. The crown job looks like a 3 year old with a cinder block did it. Its like it didn't get the last step of the crown job, lots of chatter marks from the tooling. I'll probably end up selling it, and getting a .22 conversion kit for a STI 2011. It doesn't hold a candle to my Wather P22.

Ruger firearms definetly lost some standing in my eyes.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Realist

Quote:
I've heard nothing but accolades about the Federal ammo.. now i just need to locate it and buy a ton. Anyone who has had FTF problems at my range said the Federal cleared the problem up... but it is a bit disappointing that the 22/45 isnt an "eat all" machine....
Just to clarify the federal ammo was out of my stock pile so it was a bit old and I would have to concure that most of the time my experiences with federal have been very good.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM

With mine, I've also found the Federal bulk-pack stuff to work flawlessly. But the first ammo I tried to use was some of that wax-coated CCI stuff. Not only did I have repeated FTFs on both factory mags, it also had a neat trick of releasing half of the rounds from the mag when I'd try to insert it! Definitely doesn't like the waxy crap.

FYI, as others have said, if it doesn't have smooth trigger pull and great accuracy, something is wrong. Mine was delivered to me with a defective magazine disconnect safety, which affected the gun tremendously, but once Ruger reworked it & sent it back to me, it's smooth as butter. With the right ammo...
Old 03-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 6,051 Times in 2,882 Posts

Here is another good video for the reassembly of the Ruger.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,311 Times in 30,538 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

.22s can be notoriously picky about which ammo they like. Mine might like a particular load and yours might like something complately different. This is why when someone asks "what load works best in my .22?" there is no real answer other than to try it out for themselves.

If the gun remains unreliable with all ammo, it's time for a trip to Ruger. Most of them are quite reliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Prepared

Mine is a great shooter after a teardown I got hammer set wrong and it was jammed up tight broke rear sight insirt and called ruger. They talked me through the fix and told me keep practicing the tear down ull get better. And sent me a new leaf insert free. Great service policy made in USA and accurate as he'll. Good shooter
Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Trapper

went out today and used some of my bulk winchest xpert 36 grain hollow point. All I can say is this little pistol is a dream. I'm having trouble loading it it's like the first round isn't setting in the magazine nose up. it's hitting below the feed ramp and stops. It didn't ftf or fte at all today. I really can't say enough about the accuracy. I'm so glad that I chose this over a mosquito. again the accuracy is incredible.