Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,458 Times in 762 Posts
Default Red Dot on a Shotgun?

Advertise Here

I'm experimenting with trying to build the most intuitive, stupid-proof tool / weapon possible, and would like to use a simple, rugged red-dot sight on a single-barrel shotgun.

Does anyone have any experience with this combo? If so, can you recommend a brand or model? I'd really appreciate it if you could share any lessons learned. Maybe this is a bad idea? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 6,106 Times in 2,393 Posts

why? in all seriousness, unless you are using it to hunt gobblers/deer/pig, i really don't see the need..jus sayin boss...

ps....hello from Charlotte..
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Tiggers bounce!

We had a red dot AimPoint on a Remgton 870 for turkey and it worked okay I suppose, but personally preferred not to have it. Tried it with the "tacti-kool" 870 setup and I didn't like that either - ghost ring sights were much better in my opinion.

A red dot scope on a single barrel though? I'm assuming you mean single shot too, so I have to agree with the previous poster....why would you want to???
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 PM
grease monkey

Thanked 2,284 Times in 979 Posts

I have been considering this for my Mossberg. Some of us shoot slugs. I haven't used slugs for deer hunting yet, but I have heard of people getting good results. I dunno, I'm partial to the rib sight.
I was thinking about getting those little "fiber optic" sights. They look like they would fit great on my rib, but a red dot would be my second option. If you end up doing it, let me know. I would like to see the results.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh97526 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Anti-Communist

I dont see why you would need one anyway. A shotgun is a pretty stupid proof gun. I shoot perfectly well with my bead sight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chickenfriedchicken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Hunter

Well, lets see...this would primarily be a tool / weapon for lightly trained newbies to use. Sorry; guess I should have said that up front, along with single shot, H&R Pardner. But I don't know...maybe I'm looking for a high-tech solution to a non-existing problem. The ghost ring, fiber optic, and rib sound good, too.

What I was thinking is that a red dot might be a real quick reaction method of "aiming", but aren't you supposed to "index" a shotgun, with the bead as a reference, instead? That seems like a learned skill.

Overall, what I'm wondering is what could be more simple to pick up and apply under stress than "put the light on what you want to kill and squeeze the trigger"?

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out, though, and hello from Anderson Creek / Bunnlevel, NC.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,142 Posts

I've got a red-dot on a .22 for night time predator control. Works good. I was planning to put one on a 12 ga. for the same purpose. I'm not sure the cheap red dots will take the recoil of a 12 ga. Fiber optic front sight would probably work better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Hunter

Found this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat105574680

Looks like a good fix. Thanks again, and Cheers Y'all
Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Tiggers bounce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Found this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat105574680

Looks like a good fix. Thanks again, and Cheers Y'all

That should do the job for you just fine. I know some LEOs that like the Aimpoint on their tactical shotguns, but I just don't. I do like the Aimpoint on the AR though, but for shotguns it just doesn't do it for me. The cost for one though, for your purposes is much more than the shotgun you intend to put it on. The Turkey Buster you found should be a good compromise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Just don't get a cheap one, if you go that route. It's sure to get wobbly. Very fast on target though
The Following User Says Thank You to RamRod For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 PM
grease monkey

Thanked 2,284 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod View Post
Just don't get a cheap one, if you go that route. It's sure to get wobbly. Very fast on target though
You think it would be faster than the rib sight? If so, it would be a great upgrade for duck hunting.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,035 Posts

Follow the K.I.S.S. method (keep it simple soldier), red dot sight on a shotgun probably will not be needed. For defensive use I would suggest the following additions; Recoil Pad, Stock mounted saddle for extra rounds, snap on hi visibility sight mounted at the end of the barrel near the existing bead sight, flashlight, all for interior defense; add a sling if you need to do any outside work involving carrying the weapon for an extended period of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to AmericanPatriot121 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Hunter

OK, so here's what I've got so far:

H&R Pardner 20 gauge with a Choate replacement stock and forearm ("Store Arm"), Wal-Mart sling and butt cuff, and a HiViz light pipe clip-on front site, all for about $200, which isn't really that much if you spread it all out over about 4 months.

Good ammo is a little harder to find than 12 gauge, but the inexpensive, low-base 7 1/2 shot value-pack stuff seems to work just fine for critters and targets around the farm. Got some buckshot and slugs, too. One thing, though - if, for some ungodly reason, you should ever have a notion to touch off a 3" magnum super-duper duck slayer #2 steel shot shell in one of these, make sure that your cheek isn't in contact with the stock, or you might bite through your lip, or something. ( Y'know. Just sayin...)

The rear fiber optic ghost ring may have to wait though, because I'll have to pay a good gunsmith to drill and tap for mounts. Not gonna mess it up trying to do it myself now that this has all come together so well.

Thanks again to everyone for the information and ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1061.JPG   IMG_1062.JPG  
The Following User Says Thank You to Griff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts

Red dots are definitely not stupid proof. They make em even stupider. You might not have the red dot on when you need it. You might need to use the firearm in a right light area, like the sun infront of you or a bright light soruce, like vehicle headlights.

I have a eotech 512 on a AK. I love it. however, I practice shooting without the red dot turned on, incase stupid meets me.

If using buckshot, no optics are needed what so ever. If you miss at 35 yards, don't blame the gun. Slugs, maybe has some merit. For hunting turkey, no optic is needed at all. A set of rifle sights is all you need. clip on sights work fine.

What you need is a repeat shot. Put you pennies away for a 870 or a 500.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Prepared

i would not give noobs a red dot sight. if your handing them a single shot with a bead front sight. instruct them to put the bead on the target and pull the trigger. its really no different than a red dot, just point and click. just a lot cheaper and easier
The Following User Says Thank You to kahuna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Hunter

Looks like you guys have saved me a lot of frustration and money. I owe you a beer. Guinness, Bud, Michelob, Labatts, Red Stripe, or Heineken?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 PM

How about Reflex sights? They are more open than a scope or Aimpoint type Red Dot systems.

The idea behind using a red dot or reflex sight is to get low light combat capabilities. Also for newbies - it might be easier to hit something they shoot at using a reflex sight compared to lining up the rear and front sights.

Is it durable? Not really, and it needs batteries - hardly end-of-world gear you want to get stuck with. Get good ghost ring sights.

-Digital Merc
The Following User Says Thank You to Digital Mercenary For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 4,829 Times in 1,545 Posts

I sell a 1x45 NcStar Red dot for $45
The Following User Says Thank You to crankyfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Tiggers bounce!

Quote:
OK, so here's what I've got so far:

H&R Pardner 20 gauge with a Choate replacement stock and forearm ("Store Arm"), Wal-Mart sling and butt cuff, and a HiViz light pipe clip-on front site, all for about $200, which isn't really that much if you spread it all out over about 4 months.

Good ammo is a little harder to find than 12 gauge, but the inexpensive, low-base 7 1/2 shot value-pack stuff seems to work just fine for critters and targets around the farm. Got some buckshot and slugs, too. One thing, though - if, for some ungodly reason, you should ever have a notion to touch off a 3" magnum super-duper duck slayer #2 steel shot shell in one of these, make sure that your cheek isn't in contact with the stock, or you might bite through your lip, or something. ( Y'know. Just sayin...)

The rear fiber optic ghost ring may have to wait though, because I'll have to pay a good gunsmith to drill and tap for mounts. Not gonna mess it up trying to do it myself now that this has all come together so well.

Thanks again to everyone for the information and ideas!

Looks good Griff!

The Following User Says Thank You to Tigger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 6,412 Times in 3,037 Posts

Quote:
I'm experimenting with trying to build the most intuitive, stupid-proof tool / weapon possible, and would like to use a simple, rugged red-dot sight on a single-barrel shotgun.

Does anyone have any experience with this combo? If so, can you recommend a brand or model? I'd really appreciate it if you could share any lessons learned. Maybe this is a bad idea? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
If you want simple, don't use something that requires a battery and needs to be turned on. Ghost rings and practice are what I suggest.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post: