Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Hunter

Default Hi-Point .40 carbine semi-review.

Advertise Here

Just bought on for ****s and giggles. Already removed a bunch of stuff because I felt it was unnecessary. Laser, Compensator, and a rail. The rail bit into my hand when I Tightened the sling properly. I removed the laser because I don't like them. The Compensator was worthless weight in my opinion, not enough effect.
Great carbine. Was punching a ragged hole at 25 yards with Winchester white box. Acceptable accuracy at 100 yards, about 6 MOA. Not bad at all for a pistol cartridge. Had one Failure to fire with 500 rounds. I have no idea what happened. I had to push it out with a cleaning rod. The round looked like it had been beaten with a hammer. The case was all distorted, the case rim was completely ripped off, and the primer wasn't even dented. **shrug** It preformed flawlessly before and after, i chalked it up to freak occurance. I don't understand how the rim was ripped off, it didn't fire the round, so it didn't get stuck in the chamber when the carbine tried to cycle.

My only complaint was out of all 3 ammunition brands I tried, they all had vastly different zero's. They were all accurate, but 4-6 inches different POI at 25 yards.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andersed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 AM

Me and my dad have put about 5000 rounds through our 9mm Hi point and it still works great. I've heard that the other calibers have problems after a while but I've personally not witnessed it. I also have a 9mm hi-point pistol I paid a whopping $119 for and it has several thousand rounds through it as well. The pistol sucks because it looks fugly, only has a 10 round mag, but it does go boom everytime I pull the trigger. It has jammed a couple of times on me but I only shoot the bottom of the barrel cheapest ammo and sometimes reloads I buy from gunshows so it could of been a bad round and not the gun itself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swgfanforlife For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 AM
Boolit Master

Thanked 1,005 Times in 552 Posts

Different brand of ammo will shoot to different points of aim,that's why if you have various brands of ammo stashed you should know how each one shoots in your firearms.

At close range it's not that big of a deal at long range it may make a difference between a hit or miss. For factory ammo which I don't hardly ever shoot much of I would find the brand of ammo it likes best and stick with that. WWB is decent ammo but you will run across a bad rd. once in awhile be it a weak load or bad brass it's good cheap banging ammo. As a general practice I don't shoot other people reloads.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Hunter

Different ammo will have different POI, but I never have seen such a difference as with the Hi-Point.
I have a bolt 30-06 that shoots 180 grain soft points an inch lower and 1/4 to the right of 150 grain FMJ greek surplus. This is at 100 yards. I guess I am spoiled.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM
I Sleep with my Boots ON!

Thanked 1,072 Times in 522 Posts

I've got the 9mm and 45 cal carbines and have had nothing but fun with both. The 9mm stays pretty straight out to 100 yards. Haven't shot the 45 cal alot yet but so far it is accurate and effective while sighting it in indoors.

Cheap fun and so far 100% functional, can't ask for much more at around $250 each..
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveinCT For This Useful Post: