Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-23-2011, 03:12 PM

Default Doomsday bunker sales

Advertise Here

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/22/real...dex.htm?hpt=C2

Looks like some people are starting to catch on.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
High-Strung

I've had to leave my house twice becausse of hurricanes. I want to stay in my own home during a disaster. That is one of the reasons we bought the home we live in now. I am just so sick of having to flee because my family is not safe in our own home.

As for a bunker, if I were to get one, I would want one that has a tunnel that leads straight from my house where we never have to go outside. It could be a hidden door in the dining room that leads down to the tunnel connecting to the bunker.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Recent Blog:
Gitter Done!

Thanked 2,006 Times in 721 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikesiked View Post
I've had to leave my house twice becausse of hurricanes. I want to stay in my own home during a disaster. That is one of the reasons we bought the home we live in now. I am just so sick of having to flee because my family is not safe in our own home.

As for a bunker, if I were to get one, I would want one that has a tunnel that leads straight from my house where we never have to go outside. It could be a hidden door in the dining room that leads down to the tunnel connecting to the bunker.
I have seen some cheap ones out there and years ago a friends Dad went and devised his own. Using a septic tank he bought new he placed it right next to the house underground and filled in the drain holes with cement and made a nice hatch for the top. It was big enough to fit him, his wife and 2 kids in and had fold out bunk beds with a food locker and battery operated lights. Was pretty cool, but it was a cheap way to do it. If you can do it where you live and don't have gas lines or water lines running through your yard it would work.

Another way is using culverts that are large enough to stand up in, but you can make the tunnel network with the smaller culverts and the larger one being the shelter room. Think it would cost more though.

There are some cool ways to do it, even putting in a side basement next to the house where a door goes into it from a floor from inside the house. Costs a lot more, but it would be a nice shelter too.

Then there is the above ground shelters, which some are cheap to build with cement blocks or with cement forms and just fill the walls (forms) in with cement and put plaster on the sides to make them look nice. Or attach it to the side of the house for an extra room that is just a shelter as well. Some building codes are different in each area, so it has to be built to code unless you live out in the Country.

Depends on the funds and how much luxury you want in the shelter.
But there are some cheap ways to make a cool shelter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usmountains For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

In the are where we are a company that sells septic tanks SI Precast Concrete (I think they are in other places too) sells a pre made shelter for about 1800.00 it has a built in hatch rated at 180miles per and a air filtration vent. We don't have one yet but we have looked at them as a possible alternative.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,813 Times in 1,696 Posts

From the article:

Quote:
Elan Yadan, a clothing store owner in Los Angeles, is one of the many customers who rushed to find a bunker last week. Yadan secured a spot for his family in a Vivos' shelter, putting down four deposits totaling $20,000 -- $20,000 that had been earmarked for a down payment on a new house.

"I honestly didn't want to do it, but unfortunately it looks like the worst expectations about the world are starting to come true," said Yadan, who had been reading about Mayan predictions of a global meltdown in 2012. "With the things happening this week, it's better to be safe than sorry. And what good is a house if you don't feel safe?"
This is kind of sad in a way. People are capitalizing on their fears (however irrational). And to think that in the event anything did happen they could actually get to their bunkers? From LA to Nebraska?

This company is profiting greatly off the fact that it's highly unlikely most of the people paying will ever go to the bunkers.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Recent Blog:
Gitter Done!

Thanked 2,006 Times in 721 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadjanet View Post
In the are where we are a company that sells septic tanks SI Precast Concrete (I think they are in other places too) sells a pre made shelter for about 1800.00 it has a built in hatch rated at 180miles per and a air filtration vent. We don't have one yet but we have looked at them as a possible alternative.
That is a really good price, just for the septic tank alone here costs about $1500. If I wasn't going to put in my underground house I would probably go with something like that or maybe two side by side underground. If I had to do an above ground one for a shelter till I put one in the ground, I would probably add some cement block around it which would also help with radiation and increase its strength in the high winds and flying debris. (Don't have hurricanes here, but thinking of a nuclear explosion. lol)

The more I see what could happen in the world and what has happened, I am just preparing for the worst kind of disaster possible, which is just expecting a thermonuclear war. At least if it never happens the shelter will hold up to just about anything other than a sink hole. lol
Old 03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Senior Reactor Operator

Thanked 1,813 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
This is kind of sad in a way. People are capitalizing on their fears (however irrational). And to think that in the event anything did happen they could actually get to their bunkers? From LA to Nebraska?

This company is profiting greatly off the fact that it's highly unlikely most of the people paying will ever go to the bunkers.
Sort of like the people selling iodine on the west coast...
Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Elude Evade Survive

Thanked 2,546 Times in 902 Posts

I have been considering one of those new polypropylene septic tanks as a root cellar/underground storage...could be modified to be a short term bunker for 2 people...
The Following User Says Thank You to fullofit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM

I am going to stick with the shipping container, although the septic tanks arnt a bad idea if done correctly.. I think paying tens of thousands for REMOTE located shelters, is absolutely ridiculous. If SHTF do you really think you will make it further than your own neighborhood (IF THAT!)?? Spend the 5,000.00 and build you a kick ass, Wine Cellar that doubles as a shelter under your back yard.

They always say theres no place like home right? .. Come on people common sense prevails!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ratch3t For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,144 Times in 4,549 Posts

I saw the report on CNN. Those Vivos people are scammers. A lot of people are going to be upset when their money disappears.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Target Shooter

Agreed with ratch3t. Like the Nuke days build your own right under your place.

Wine and beer cellar for happy last days!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Reluctor of dominatus

Quote:
From the article:

Exactly what I was thinking....I have no problem with people making a profit but getting to onr of these places safely in a SHTF situation is pretty far fetched. Have a few buddies around Newport and every time we went through LA when I visited traffic was way worse than Boston or NY. I'd rather have my own BOL that I don't have to check into like some apocalyptic Holiday Inn.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,179 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santino View Post
Exactly what I was thinking....I have no problem with people making a profit but getting to onr of these places safely in a SHTF situation is pretty far fetched. Have a few buddies around Newport and every time we went through LA when I visited traffic was way worse than Boston or NY. I'd rather have my own BOL that I don't have to check into like some apocalyptic Holiday Inn.
You guys are thinking in 2 dimensions
Go 3D
Think helicopters for fast egress
They have the money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
You guys are thinking in 2 dimensions
Go 3D
Think helicopters for fast egress
They have the money.
You're not getting an instant helicopter pick up for a $5,000 deposit. The level of high rollers that can afford that don't need to go in on one of these "communities".
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

I would love building a cheese cellar like this guys talk about multi use structure

http://www.bonniebluefarm.com/Pages/...ult.asp?pid=66
Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
I would love building a cheese cellar like this guys talk about multi use structure

http://www.bonniebluefarm.com/Pages/...ult.asp?pid=66
I like the idea of that. Especially since I started reading about the aging time of a few cheeses I'd like to start making.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Blessed

In my searches online I found an underground shelter built like a townhouse. Now I want to be semi comfortable but these were something like 50,000.00.

We live in central Texas and have thought about a hideyhole for tornadoes. If I'm going to spend the money, I want it bigger than something to stand up in.

Suzanne
Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Blessed

Quote:
I like the idea of that. Especially since I started reading about the aging time of a few cheeses I'd like to start making.

Now THAT is what I'm talking about.

Suzanne
Old 03-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,511 Times in 33,072 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Vivos is hardly news. It's been around for years. I see facilities such as those as "sheeple preservation facilities" and desperately hope that they fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
nice thing for me it would be a far write off once i get my busness up and going and you can easily explain why you have it without commign off as a lunatic

even if it was on a smaller scale that would be a well made building