Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,754 Times in 1,786 Posts
Default New Course: IS-907 - Active Shooter: What You Can Do

Advertise Here

Hey folks,
Here is a new FEMA course on what to do in the event of an "active shooter" scenario. As many of us have CW this course may not seem so important, but I see relevance in letting our kids and other family members taking it.

Anyway, here is the link
http://www.emergencymgmt.com/emergen...---032311.html

If you want a certificate of completion, you will need to supply them with your SS#.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prepperintraining For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM
semper in angaria

Thanked 3,884 Times in 963 Posts

"2.Recognize potential workplace violence indicators. "

This part sounds awful familiar to the whole rat on your neighbor ordeal to me. It's a sheeple recruitment as I see it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ohionative For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohionative View Post
"2.Recognize potential workplace violence indicators. "

This part sounds awful familiar to the whole rat on your neighbor ordeal to me. It's a sheeple recruitment as I see it.
If Joe gets laid off from work and comes in the next day and asks you to sign his Last Will & Testament, I call that a red flag. If you want to pretend it's not then I suggest you go to work the next day wearing some Kevlar.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to prepperintraining For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,096 Times in 448 Posts

I am retired and live at the end of an 18 mile gravel road when I am at the ranch. Can I just "cover" anyone who comes on the property that is not 100% naked?

ISS
The Following User Says Thank You to ISS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 PM
semper in angaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepperintraining View Post
If Joe gets laid off from work and comes in the next day and asks you to sign his Last Will & Testament, I call that a red flag. If you want to pretend it's not then I suggest you go to work the next day wearing some Kevlar.
I'm not saying that someone shouldn't be turn in for some things but it sure leaves an awful lot of room for individual interpretation. Or people turning someone in because they don't "like" them. It's one person's word against another's and that person suddenly has the police or even the FBI up their ass.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ohionative For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,183 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
I'm not saying that someone shouldn't be turn in for some things but it sure leaves an awful lot of room for individual interpretation. Or people turning someone in because they don't "like" them. It's one person's word against another's and that person suddenly has the police or even the FBI up their ass.
People rarely if ever get involved in anything that is why so many of these incidents occur. Columbine, VT etc all had ample warning, but people said nothing. This is just human nature, so I think saying looking for the warning signs doesn't open up turn in your neighbor unless the US has a culture shift to a era like Stalinist Russia.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MarksInnerDemon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Prepared

Funny thing though is when people go on shooting sprees, their neighbors always characterize them as quiet and polite people.

They never see it coming.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jarhead1987 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry

Thanked 1,865 Times in 854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead1987 View Post
Funny thing though is when people go on shooting sprees, their neighbors always characterize them as quiet and polite people.

As the saying goes, "it's not the one that is yelling at the cashier you have to worry about, it's the one that doesn't and just comes in and starts shooting"
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NavigatinCollapse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Trapper

Its a decent course, I took it the other day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostrider247 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
semper in angaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider247 View Post
Its a decent course, I took it the other day.
Well then you are the perfect person to explain this better. Can you give us some details? Your insight would be much appreciated.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Well then you are the perfect person to explain this better. Can you give us some details? Your insight would be much appreciated.
It's pretty simple.
The course explains what you should do if you find yourself in a building when someone is firing a weapon.

It's all about escape, cover and concealment and if all else fails,to attack the gunman.

It's about staying alive, not about turning in your neighbor.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prepperintraining For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,807 Posts

Quote:

No, most or many active shooters give out ample warning signs. Look at Columbine or Fort Hood for example. I think neighbors of serial killers tend to be shocked when the truth comes out, but the people who go on shooting rampages often raise tons of red flags before they actually commit a crime.

Like anything else, the key is moderation and common sense. Goes for watching for terrorist activity. It's unlikely that your coworker will go postal, it's unlikely that you'll come across terrorist activivty. You need to maintain a basic level of vigilance without impeding your life or becoming paranoid. One cannot live in fear, and we don't want another Red Scare, or end up having to go through body scanners to get into any government building. Apply common sense and be vigilant within reason. Don't go calling 9/11 every time someone scary walks by, but don't bury your head in the sand like the Army did with the Fort Hood shooter.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlasphemousBill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Gravity is a Theory.

Thanked 6,427 Times in 1,977 Posts

Aim for center mass.......

Ok where is my certificate
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goosed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,918 Times in 2,311 Posts

Quote:

Actually, it seems as if the victims sometimes see it coming, but the people who actually knew the shooter ALWAYS see it coming. It's never like, "Wow, that was a totally normal guy" It's always like "Yeah, that dude was freaking crazy, and I always thought he'd go postal".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cannon Fodder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,946 Times in 1,677 Posts

It's one of the hottest subjects in Law Enforcement Training. Active Shooter prevention, identification and response has become a focal point in public safety.

That's one big reason I carry a good handgun, capable of excellent accuracy and a couple extra magazines. Train to use it and pay attention at work and in crowded places with no obvious security. If I can't carry there, I don't go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Just Me

[QUOTE=AKpredator;2559716]It's one of the hottest subjects in Law Enforcement Training. Active Shooter prevention, identification and response has become a focal point in public safety.

I actually took part (as a victim) in an Active Shooter Training Scenario put on by the Dept of Natural Resources Police (division of the State Police). It was extremely intense. I picked up on a couple things. First, the officers main objective is to find the shooter(s). If you are injured, you are on your own until the shooter is subdued. They will completely ignore you. Next, if you are not injured, you are a suspect. Plain and simple. I had nothing with me, weapon or otherwise. I was placed against a wall by 2 officers. I was frisked and almost in cuffs when shots rang out down the hall. Only when they heard additional gunfire was I no longer a suspect. I would imagine having a weapon on me may have made the situation worse for myself. At that point, there would be no hope of escaping the situation.

Unfortunately, they did not get into how to protect yourself in such a situation but we did get some good insight as to how law enforcement reacts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marlinman00 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,851 Posts

I have about 90 of those FEMA courses under my belt, but I'm not going to take this one.

My bet is that it basically tells civilians to "shelter in place" which means hide under your desk and hope you don't get a bullet in the back of the head.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 5,894 Times in 2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepperintraining View Post
Hey folks,
Here is a new FEMA course on what to do in the event of an "active shooter" scenario. As many of us have CW this course may not seem so important, but I see relevance in letting our kids and other family members taking it.

Anyway, here is the link
http://www.emergencymgmt.com/emergen...---032311.html

If you want a certificate of completion, you will need to supply them with your SS#.
I've already trained my family in this. Your best bet, bottom line.... Get AWAY from the bullets... As quickly, and efficiently as possible!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 AM

For over a decade I worked with schools on the topic of bullying and the prevention of school shooters. If there is an active shooter, in a nutshell here's what you should do; 1) if you can escape, do so quickly - running zigzag if you're anywhere's near the shooter. 2) if you cannot escape and there are two or more of you, then you need to attack the shooter - preferably by flanking him / her. 3) if you are alone and confronted by the shooter, drop down onto both knees, clasp your hands together in front of you at the waistline (least threatening position) and tell the shooter you are their servant and will do anything they say. That feeds their mental state and makes you potentially useful instead of a target or the enemy. Then, at first opportunity, you escape.

Hope this helps,
Idyllwoods
The Following User Says Thank You to Idyllwoods For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Recent Blog:
Cook

Thanked 1,461 Times in 681 Posts

The Course is 1 hour. I suppose it is mostly how not to be the target of an active shooters. How good can a 1 hour course be?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat84 For This Useful Post: