Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 AM
Young Adult

Default Pipe Smoking vs. Cigarette Smoking

Advertise Here

Now, before everybody gets fired up (pun not intended), I'm just going to say now that staying away from tobacco is 100 percent the best way to go, and that inhaling smoke is not exactly a healthy practice. Also, please understand that I am not a smoker myself.

Two of my friends, both college age, smoke pipes, and last week while we were fishing on a nearby creek, I brought up health issues concerning pipe smoking, and the things they told me were interesting.

Growing up in a rural area, I've always been around pipes, as old men smoked pipes more than cigarettes. Unfortunately, my grandpa smoked cigarettes and pipes like a chimney, and had really bad breathing problems before he died of a blood infection. I always preferred pipe smoke to cigarette smoke because it was sweet and natural smelling (most of the old men didn't smoke cherry vanilla or other flavored tobaccos).

I'd always heard, even before talking to my friends, that smoking a pipe is less taxing (I'm not going to say healthier) on one's lungs (although the mouth and throat is still an issue) than cigarettes because pipe smoke is generally not inhaled. They also brought up the point that pipe smoking is, again, not healthier, but less taxing than most cigarette smoking because the tobacco is natural and chemical free. They said that people also had to slow down alot more to smoke a pipe, which makes it a relaxing experience, rather than just a quick fix.

Is there any truth to this? What are your views?
The Following User Says Thank You to huntercook15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,896 Times in 6,167 Posts

I think you are spot on. As long as the tobacco is unaltered it is a much healthier alternatives to cigs. For following reasons; cigs are designed physically to get you as addicted as possible (filters mostly make you just suck harder on the coffin nail), cigs also have a lot of additives, some causing cancer in themselves, some addictive in themselves plus you smoke paper (not good and smells bad.)

Also the flavors can make you "like" smoking even if you don't really like the taste of tobacco, instead of those really liking tobacco should enjoy it at its purest. Also real tobacco is strong. That makes you much more absorb the nicotine through your mouth and just sometimes to your lungs. The worst are the "light" cigs, because people suck so hard on them they get a lot more bad stuff down their lungs than if had pipe smoking or smoking a stronger cig. Also, using weaker cigs you not only inhale more often, you inhale deeper. So in case you get cancer it is often the type at the bottom of your lungs and often untreatable.

Also a good pipe can enhance the taste of the tobacco. And it will be a ritual of peace to stuff and smoke your pipe, it is not like popping out in the drizzle or smoking desperately a cig under the kitchen fan just to have it done as soon as possible. You will probably smoke less time a day. And you will enjoy it more. After all if you are going to smoke anyway, why not make the most of it?

My granddad smoked the pipe. The fresh tobacco smelled so nice, almost like English breakfast tea. The place didn't smell so good because he only smoked inside with no windows open. The fresh smoke smelled nice, and I still love the smell, probably because I connect it with my granddad.

People have reported going through withdrawals when switching from cigs to pipe, even if they give themselves unlimited access to pipe tobacco. Tells me there is something added to the cigs to make them much, much worse.

My granddad was addicted but he went several hours between smokes and didn't seem to suffer. My dad smokes cigs and is always craving them. He is also prone to smoke the "lights" and flavored so I don't know how much he likes it, he is just terribly hooked, despite emphysema. My granddad never developed emphysema (I know, just 2 cases), even if he smoked all his life and my dad only smoked now and then in the 60s and picked it up in the 90s again. Since my granddad died from something unrelated in his mid to late 70s and my dad is 71 now there is not much comparison left.

I would be daring to say pipe smoking would not be especially harmful if it was done as it was meant to be, a bidaily time of relaxation, and no other cancerogenic stuff adding up to weakening the DNA, like these days we have a lot of toxins and our food is not as cancer protective. The life we lead today pressures the body into cancer much easier. So if you can stop smoking it would probably be good, both for cancer risk and risk of emphysema or other lung related problems. If you can't, I'm pretty sure pipe smoking is loads better than cigs.

But like I said, don't be surprised if you swap, if you get withdrawals while still getting tobacco, that is the withdrawals from the additives to cigs and the chemicals that make the nicotine hit you stronger.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to speedofl33t For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,162 Times in 4,555 Posts

Apparently we're all gonna die come 2012. Smoke em' if you got em'.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Survivalguy72 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
I <3 NV

Thanked 1,798 Times in 892 Posts

I guess its similar to the light cigarette argument. Lights are worse for you because your lungs have to work harder while smoking lights versus regulars.

I smoke on occasion ("social smoker") but I try not too. I've been running a lot to keep my lung capacity from deteriorating. Just don't start smoking, its not worth it, but drinking is a whole other story .
The Following User Says Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 AM
schrodinger's cat

Thanked 8,677 Times in 2,606 Posts

1. Worked in the nuclear industry..
  2. Worked with radioactive sources..
  3. Extreme sports..
  4. Smoked..
  5. Drank..
  6. Worked in the chemical industry..
  7. Worked military demil of nuc bombs and WMD's..
  8. Hit by a car..
  9. shot..
  10. stabbed..
  11. Travel extensively, S. America and Asia third world countries..
  12. Survived 8.0 earthquake Pisco Peru..
  13. Survived North Ridge earth quake..
  14. Rope access off shore platform work..
  15. High rise building inspection..

No one dies until it's their time. By OSHA"s probability charts I should be dead, yet here I am.

No one can add time to their life; not one hour, minute or second will the healthiest living gain you.
The only difference you can make is in the quality of that life.
Would you rather die hiking the Appalachian trail, or die gasping for air from emphysema?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cwi555 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi555 View Post
No one dies until it's their time. By OSHA"s probability charts I should be dead, yet here I am.

No one can add time to their life; not one hour, minute or second will the healthiest living gain you.
The only difference you can make is in the quality of that life.
Would you rather die hiking the Appalachian trail, or die gasping for air from emphysema?
So, when you read these 'probability charts' did you ever consider that they were, you know, based on probability?

There'll always be a small number who survive many things which should kill them, but that doesn't somehow prove that partaking in more dangerous activities won't kill you any sooner. Certainly you can't add time to your life (unless you are a smoker and quit smoking), but you sure as hell can take time from your life. Where do you think they get the statistics for these probability charts? They get them from dead people, that's where.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,065 Times in 999 Posts

I’m a pipe smoker, been one for about 30 years now. I don’t smoke cigs and I’m not addicted, I smoke when I want and usually no more than a bowl or two after a meal. I’ve found that to really enjoy a pipe I need good tobacco and good pipes, stay away from the drugstore stuff learn how to pack and smoke a pipe (slowly) and enjoy the experience.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 AM
old hand

Thanked 6,270 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercook15 View Post
... because pipe smoke is generally not inhaled.
Good timing with this thread ... I packed up the Dr. Greenbow yesterday am for the first time since December.

Pipes are kinda messy, but they (and the smoker) smell considerably better than cigarettes.

I can tell you ... when the pressure is on, one can inhale some mighty big draws off a properly smoked pipe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Ravenhaired Tempress

Well I use Pipe tobacco in my Cigarettes. . . I roll my own!!! Don't notice much difference in either of them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SgtMaj Wifey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Hunter

I've read that pipe smokers actually have a longer life expectancy than non-pipe smokers due to the relaxing (read de-stressing) effects of pipesmoking far outweigh the detrimental health effects. You don't inhale the smoke (well, most pipe smokers don't), the tobacco doesn't contact your lips or gums, the tobacco itself is much better quality (with almost no or no additives) when compared to cigarettes.
My dad started smoking a pipe many years after he quit cigarettes and chewing tobacco & my mom had a cow but I looked into it and had to tell her that it wasn't that bad at all. I couldn't find any death rates on pipe smokers, occasional pipe smokers aren't even considered a cancer demographic in most studies. Had to tell her,"It could be worse. You want him to start smoking cigarettes again?" we agreed that it was pretty much harmless.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,785 Times in 4,220 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

A quality cigar and cognac now and then is one of those male pleasures in life.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Three Rings in Five Years

Thanked 28,267 Times in 14,855 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Nothing like a well packed bowl of Cavendish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 PM
This site sucks

Thanked 2,077 Times in 825 Posts

So smoking pot is ok if I grow myself, hummm, good to know. JK. Anything you suck into your lungs is eventually gonna hurt you.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Young Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
So smoking pot is ok if I grow myself, hummm, good to know. JK. Anything you suck into your lungs is eventually gonna hurt you.
Hey, if pot is what floats your boat, then by all means, indulge, but we're talking about legal things here.
The Following User Says Thank You to huntercook15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Maximus

Thanked 14,491 Times in 6,341 Posts

I wonder how these smokes stack up against pipe tobacco.

Natural American Spirit claims no artificial additives. Just tobacco.

The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Thanked 2,625 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
A quality cigar and cognac now and then is one of those male pleasures in life.
... and a female's.
The Following User Says Thank You to britzen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Zombie Ron Paul 2016

Never smoked a pipe but cigars helped me quit cigarettes
The Following User Says Thank You to Crunchtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 AM
Emergency Kits

Default Pipe Smoking vs. Cigarette Smoking

Cigarette smoking is a kind of addictive habit and pipe smoking is a hobby but cigarette smoking is more harmful than pipe smoking.Pipe smokers are not immune from lung cancers,throat,larynx because it doesnot inhale directly.
The Following User Says Thank You to iprepare143 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by britzen View Post
... and a female's.
No. In the real world few women drink cognac, even less smoke cigars. A woman who drinks vintage cognac and smokes quality cigars is virtually non-existent, a few in a billion or less. That is why I call it a male pleasure because it is, one of the very few that has not been driven from existence.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Lets not forget Monica
Well... I've noticed women exhale there but never inhale... see how safe cigars are?