Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Default Heavy duty Mylar bags.

Advertise Here

I bought some Heavy duty mylar bags 'cause I do alot of dehydrated vegs etc.
My thought was if they're 7 mils thick it would be quite difficult to develop a pin hole in the bag.

.......So I've been doin lots of red potatoes so far and when they're bone dry they have some sharp edges....like bow tie pasta.I put up a 5 gallon pail of potatoes and I'm working on a 2nd one as I type this................Since these are heavy duty bags,I have to assume it will take quite abit longer for the 02 absorbers to collapse the bag....get a nice tight bag.....well,the first bucket sat over nite and there aint nothin happening!!!..........um thinkin Maybe the 02 driers where bad(5 of them in this bag).

Am I expecting too much?....did I waste my money on 7 mil. bags?.....I got a real good seal on it with my Iron....'bout 2" wide.

Wud I do wrong?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,051 Posts

How many O2 absorbers did you use in the bag? Potatoes and Pasta usually have a lot of airspace between the pieces so sometimes it doesn't collapse the bag entirely unless you use several O2 absorbers.

What size O2 absorbers are you using friend?

Another problem might be, and I am sure you probably already know this, but if those O2 absorbers were old or taken from the pack too early they may have already done all the O2 absorbing they were going to do long before you placed them in the food bags and sealed them up. I made a similar mistake one time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

To the best of my knowledge they were 500 cc.I used 5 of them.I believe they were fresh....but I admit,I opened the jar many times where they "live"....for several other preps I've done.
I have enough bag area to re-seal if nothing changes overnite

On that note,did I go over kill on this particular bag?(7 mils.thick)
They were'nt cheap for this disabled Vet

I like to do things right and I was convinced the heavier bags make sense.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Geronimo!

I like using the 7 mil bags. When I don't, I line with clear plastic or wax paper first ... most people don't use 7 mil bags because they are more expensive and/or a little tougher to seal.

Last time I bought from the local LDS cannery the 7 mil bags were all they were using and I consider them the foremost experts on what to us to store chow long term. They are usually a wealth of knowledge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Gallo....just out of curiosity's sake,if there is some residual atmosphere in the bags....is it a problem?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,174 Times in 31,197 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

As Gallo mentioned, there's a lot of airspace between the pieces. Air is only 20% O2 and that's all that the absorbers remove. So the bags may not draw down tight because of all that air that's left after the O2 absorber works. But it should draw down somewhat. If it doesn't draw at all, I'd suspect the O2 absorbers. But I've had a lot of bags with brand new absorbers that didn't draw down tight like a brick because of the extra air between large pieces. Keep an eye on it for a couple days.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 PM

Default Absorber Question

I have several larger mylar bags with rice in some, pasta in others and beans in others. I have put (3) 2000 cc o2 aborbers and some will vacuum down all the way to where the bag is tight and very dense. Others will just somewhat tighten down. Are all the bags ok?, is all the oxygen out or do I need to redo some? I noticed the oats are usually the ones that do not tighten down all the way.
thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Yeah............A good point and one that I missed.I'll give it till tommorrow,if there's no draw down I'll cut open the bag....try 5 more absorbers and experiment to see if things change.

I never had a problem with rice in 4.5 mil bags but then again there's very little space between the grains of rice.

You guys think I'd be OK with 4.5 mil bags?..........I'm going to have to play with this one.(i'd rather prefer the heavier bag for peace of mind)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
As Gallo mentioned, there's a lot of airspace between the pieces. Air is only 20% O2 and that's all that the absorbers remove. So the bags may not draw down tight because of all that air that's left after the O2 absorber works. But it should draw down somewhat. If it doesn't draw at all, I'd suspect the O2 absorbers. But I've had a lot of bags with brand new absorbers that didn't draw down tight like a brick because of the extra air between large pieces. Keep an eye on it for a couple days.

I just had this happen in a similar fashion. I was in a hurry and had read that they needed head space to work so I didn't worry about getting most of the air out. I can tell which ones had a fair ammount of air in them when I sealed. Some tightened down fairly well and some still have excess air in them. Mine have been over 3 days now. I don't think they are going anymore.

Do I need to redo them next time I pack? Or will they last 15 years, instead of 30? The ones that are the worst I will likely use in the next few years, but I will repack them if I need to. I can also reuse the bags and just add new absorbers next time I have enough to open a package.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,180 Times in 2,122 Posts

If it were me, I'd just rotate them out sooner rather than later. People prepped in the 1980s without Mylar bags at all, let alone O2 absorbers, and a lot of that stuff is still good today.

But then again I'm kinda lazy, so...
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,174 Times in 31,197 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjayg View Post
I have several larger mylar bags with rice in some, pasta in others and beans in others. I have put (3) 2000 cc o2 aborbers and some will vacuum down all the way to where the bag is tight and very dense. Others will just somewhat tighten down. Are all the bags ok?, is all the oxygen out or do I need to redo some? I noticed the oats are usually the ones that do not tighten down all the way.
thanks
As long as you used enough O2 absorber for the amount of air in the bag, it should be fine. Foods with more airspace will of course have more air, and need more O2 absorbers. Often those won't draw down as tight because of the extra air. 3 2000 cc absorbers are more than enough.

Oats are kinda fluffy so that's normal too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
I just had this happen in a similar fashion. I was in a hurry and had read that they needed head space to work so I didn't worry about getting most of the air out. I can tell which ones had a fair ammount of air in them when I sealed. Some tightened down fairly well and some still have excess air in them. Mine have been over 3 days now. I don't think they are going anymore.

Do I need to redo them next time I pack? Or will they last 15 years, instead of 30? The ones that are the worst I will likely use in the next few years, but I will repack them if I need to. I can also reuse the bags and just add new absorbers next time I have enough to open a package.
If you have a good seal and enough O2 absorbers, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't try to squeeze out every bit of extra air because I don't want mine to draw down tight as a brick. It puts the mylar under stress and mylar can be a bit fragile. It isn't needed anyway, since the O2 is removed from the air that's left. The most important issue is the seal and using enough O2 absorbers for the job.

If you have any that didn't draw down, I'd redo those. Also, if you packed several bags identically and one didn't draw down the same as the others, I'd repack it too just to be safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Geronimo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-retired View Post
Gallo....just out of curiosity's sake,if there is some residual atmosphere in the bags....is it a problem?
Nah ... with pasta you shouldn't have to worry too much. That stuff is almost bullet proof as long as you keep it dry and out of direct sunlight. But it looks like you have a plan in place just to be sure based upon what I read in this thread this morning. You'll be good to go C.O.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

I tried another bucket(so far I've done 2 of them) last night,of the red sliced potatoes....this time in a 4.5 mil bag...threw in a half dozen 500 cc driers and this morning when I went to check it out.....I see that the bag drew in pretty nice!!....I also tried doing plastic bags inside mylar(8X12")....they tightened up real nice but 3 of 5 of them lost their seal overnite....I'm going to keep playin with them until I can get some satisfaction..........I modified my foodsaver so that you can hold the heat on(the sealer)for as long as you hold down the button.
I think what happened is that I was attempting to seal mylar through the plastic inside bag.

I'm just wondering if I spent money for nothing on those heavy duty bags
The Following User Says Thank You to CO-retired For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanked 1,172 Times in 656 Posts

I have always bought the 7mil bags. My last order was for 100 bags and when they arrived I noticed they looked different. When I used a few I noticed little dents or weak spots. I called the company and was told they no longer carry of my usual bags and these (5mil) had been subsituted. I find that they dont seal down like the heavier ones or maybe it's the poor quality.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgie View Post
I have always bought the 7mil bags. My last order was for 100 bags and when they arrived I noticed they looked different. When I used a few I noticed little dents or weak spots. I called the company and was told they no longer carry of my usual bags and these (5mil) had been subsituted. I find that they dont seal down like the heavier ones or maybe it's the poor quality.
Have you experienced any sealing issues with your 7 mil bags?
What size did you get,what driers are you using....tell me more!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Recent Blog: Food Storage For Vets
VIP Member

Just a quick note, as the question about bad oxygen absorbers is the number one question we get. A quick way to tell if you your absorbers are good is to pinch them before you put them in the bag. If they feel soft/powdery, they are 99.9% likely to be good. If they are hard/crunchy, they are bad and should not be used. This is an even better method than relying on an oxygen indicator tablet, which only tells you if at least 1 absorber in your jar/pack is good, not whether they all are.

As to whether the thicker bags are better, it depends on what you are talking about. Most of the 4.3-4.5mil bags have exactly the same Oxygen Transmission Rate (measured by MOCON testing) as the 7.5 mil bags. The difference is the additional foil provides higher burst and tensile strength, not lower oxygen transfer, which is handled the PET and LLDPE layers, not the foil layer. (as the foil layer of any bag, including the thickest 8 mil bags, will have pinholes)

Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers available at Discount Mylar Bags.
Bulk Orders for Survival and Preparedness Store Owners: ShieldPro Flexible Packaging
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AandB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Thank you for your reply and advice!!I need a phone number of your business there.....or am I mistaken?....do you own this business?
At any rate I'd love to talk to someone rather than do all the communicating on line.
The people I bought bags and driers off of leave a bit to be desired....I always seem to end up with some broad with an accent that I can barely understand
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Here's the outfit I bought my 7 mil bags from>>http://www.sorbentsystems.com/stockziplock.html

Also....when I took delivery of them,opened up the box...they had a strong chemical odor about them....is that normal?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Recent Blog: Food Storage For Vets
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-retired View Post
Here's the outfit I bought my 7 mil bags from>>http://www.sorbentsystems.com/stockziplock.html

Also....when I took delivery of them,opened up the box...they had a strong chemical odor about them....is that normal?
I can always be reached at 615-945-0762. I do have a business (Advice and Beans), and I gave my notice today at my day job so I can move to doing it full time.

Sorbent is a great company (though I find their customer service and turn times often leave something to be desired) and we do a lot of business with them.

It is unusual to have the actual foil bags have a chemical odor; is it possible that the odor was coming in the plastic outer bags? I've always noticed that most foil bags are eerily lacking in any smell at all!

Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers available at Discount Mylar Bags.
Bulk Orders for Survival and Preparedness Store Owners: ShieldPro Flexible Packaging
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AandB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandB View Post
I can always be reached at 615-945-0762. I do have a business (Advice and Beans), and I gave my notice today at my day job so I can move to doing it full time.

Sorbent is a great company (though I find their customer service and turn times often leave something to be desired) and we do a lot of business with them.

It is unusual to have the actual foil bags have a chemical odor; is it possible that the odor was coming in the plastic outer bags? I've always noticed that most foil bags are eerily lacking in any smell at all!
Thanks for getting back with me!!..............Maybe the smell was coming from the outer bag.....but when I put a bag in my bucket,filled it with potatoe slices....it reeked of a chemical odor
I'll call the number you provided....who do I ask for?