Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 03-20-2011, 04:30 PM

Default Ammo for SKS

Advertise Here

I just recently purchased an SKS and I have not been able to get out and shoot it yet. I will be going next week weekend to shoot it and have bought a couple boxes of winchester target ammo. What is your favorite ammo to use with your SKS and what kind are you storing?

thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 PM
This is a great survival forum

by far the surplus yugo stuff. Shoots great and pretty cheap. It is slightly corrosive so you need to clean your gun after shooting
Old 03-20-2011, 04:39 PM

I don't know about the storage properties but I buy Wolf FMJ from sportsmansguide.com because it's pretty cheap(I have limited means.) I have fired about 1000 rounds of it through my Czech made SKS and have had good results. I keep it high and dry and so far it's lasted five years with no noticable degradation. I think the Remmington ammo is more accurate but it's twice the price for me. If anyone has more info on this ammo please pass it on to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to cleversoda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2011, 04:50 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleversoda View Post
I don't know about the storage properties but I buy Wolf FMJ from sportsmansguide.com because it's pretty cheap(I have limited means.) I have fired about 1000 rounds of it through my Czech made SKS and have had good results. I keep it high and dry and so far it's lasted five years with no noticable degradation. I think the Remmington ammo is more accurate but it's twice the price for me. If anyone has more info on this ammo please pass it on to me.
way cheaper

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76239YS
Old 03-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,505 Times in 4,837 Posts

There are actually atleast one or two Books available about the SKS. Stick with .311 Diameter Bullets, Com-Bloc preferably, as the Copper case Chi-Com stuff is CRAPOLA. Domestic Ammo, using .308 Diameter Bullets might leave a doubt in your mind about effective cycling from time to time, and may lead to excess Bore Erosion, due to "Gas Cutting"
This is also why Ruger Cautions the Mini-30 in regards to their ability to use Surplus Com-Bloc, Chi-Com stuff. When the SKS was designed, it was simply cheaper to use the same Tooling on the SKS as the Mosin Nagant. The exact Diameter, within a few thousandths, of the Rifling Grooves is not tantamount in a robust, Bolt Action, yet in a Semi-Automatic Gas Piston design, the Internal Ballistics become a Factor in the actual Function of the Weapons Action. Use the right Bullet.
The Russian 123 HP, that comes in those sweet smelling Sardine Cans and wrapped in individual white Boxes runs great. Plus it smells good.
Some Folks stick their Nose into a Freshly opened Jar of Pickles, or a Bag of Potato Chips. I love the Smell of a freshly opened Tin of 7.62x39 Soviet. There are subtle Nuances available in the Aroma if you know what to look for. I used to be like Jaun Valdez was to Coffee, to 7.62x39 Sardine Tins.On one Occasion, took a Blind-Smell Test of two seperate Lots of Ammo, from two seperate Tins and was asked to give my impressions of which was which, which State Factory they came from, and Date of MFG. I thought the Test was absloutely crazy, but just like "Ripleys Beleive it or Not", I succeeded at the Challenge.

Granted, I knew that it was either one or the other, but I did get it right after a lot of concentration, and feeling like my Reputation as a 7.62x39 Soviet Taster might be in Jeopardy.

JK, But most of the info I provided is Factual.
I too, once had limited Means. I feel your pain Bro'. Do your Homework. Grats' on choosing a capable Weapon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Boolit Master

I wouldn't call the Yugo ammo mildly corrosive,corrosion and rust are byproducts of moisture being attracted to the corrosive salts in the primer compound left on metal surfaces after firing. In a dry climate you can fire corrosive ammo in your firearm and it may take days to start the rusting process in a humid climate it can start in as little as an hour.

The Yugo X39 ammo is good quality stuff once you get past the corrosive part which just takes a little more attention to cleaning and it is the ammo that was developed for use in the Yugo SKS rifles. There are two differ types of M67 ammo loaded by two different ammo plant in the former Yugoslavia.Prvi Partizan and Igman. Both are labeled as M67 use the same brass and M67 bullet but have differ powders,one was loaded for accuracy and the other at slightly higher pressure for speed.

My suggestion is to get a little bit of everything that is commonly available to you and see what shoots best in your rifle,it all shoot differently and to different points of aim. Find the one you like best zero your rifle to it,buy up as much as you can afford and stick with it. Yugo,Golden Tiger and Bear ammo shoot the most accurate in my SKS rifle there isn't that much difference at normal SKS ranges.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to res45 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,367 Times in 875 Posts

winchester white box at walmart is allright but a little pricey sellier and bellot is good stuff. hell steel cased wolf or brown bear works fine, its corrosive but sometimes cheap commie guns deserve cheap commie ammo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,098 Posts

I second the recommendation for Yugo surplus but next is one of the foreign commercial brands (Wolf, Barnaul, Golden Tiger, etc.) The Yugo is cheapest with Wolf following close behind. Those foreign makes say they're non-corrosive, so it's my choice for the possibility of inclement environments.

All the above work flawlessly in my rifles and are the best bang for the buck. As for the "premium" brands.....if super accuracy is what you're looking for, maybe a different platform and caliber would be better. You will have reloadable brass with them but I've found it may not be cheaper to reload the 7.62 X 39. Then there's the problem of finding those reloadable brass after the multiple-yard distance ejection of the empties.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandline For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Boolit Master

Quote:
Then there's the problem of finding those reloadable brass after the multiple-yard distance ejection of the empties.
You can fix that relativity easy if you can get your hands on an extra gas tube to modify. It want affect muzzle velocity just bolt speed and ejection pattern and it's tunable depend on the hole size you end up drilling. Also the use of cast bullet loads and fast burning pistol powders will dump the brass right at your feet. MV will run around 1400 to 2000 fps. depending on powder and charge and you want notice any difference in performance other than bullet drop at 100 meters which a simple sight adjustment will take care of.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=41391.0
Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 PM

Local gun store has Ulyanovsk 100 rounds for $25.00? Would that be ok to stock up on and shoot? Obviously I have to shoot and put rounds on target, but do you all have any experience with this brand?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Boolit Master

Personally I've never shot any of the stuff but from most of the post I've seen it shoot pretty well in different SKS rifle only your rifle will tell you what it like best,just get a few boxes and give it a try.

The ULY,Wolf,Golden Tiger and the various versions of Bear ammo and some of the Chinese ammo are not corrosive,any of the brass case Yugo surplus ammo will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to res45 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,329 Times in 28,566 Posts

Normally I recommend getting the best quality ammo that you can afford. But for the SKS, I recommend getting the most commonly available ammo. Which right now is Wolf. I like the yugo ammo but like all other surplus, the supply will dry up sooner or later.

Wolf may not be the best ammo, but it's non corrosive and you can always find it. It does no good at all to end up stocked with several different brands that shoot to several different points of aim. At least with Wolf, you can add a case now and then as you can afford it, and in the end, all your ammo will be the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,752 Posts

Don;t be turned off by laquer coated ammunition. It cycles reliably. Just don't leave a round chambered in a hot gun. Also, every now and them use a 45 cal brush and clean the chamber. Your should be cleaning the chamber anyways.

As Res45 said. Get several boxes of each popular brand. Shoot some of the ammo. Find the best 3, clean the gun, and come back another time to test out the other ammo. Any used SKS needs a good cleaning before use. Get that bore clean and copper treat afterwards until the patches come out clean.

Far assotrage goes. I got two types for the most part. Affordable bulk ammo that works ok with my firearms and then a supply of high quality, brass cased, expanding bullet head ammunition. Some guns don't like soft points. some do.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
zombie response team

like others keep saying steel cased aint so bad when ur not running it through a $1500 AR.
The Following User Says Thank You to davis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM

I've shots hundreds of rounds of steel Ulyanovsk in my AMD-65 and my SKS, and I'm stocking up. I also like Brown Bear and Tulammo in 7.62x39.
Hell, I've shot a few hundred rounds of 5.56 Tulammo steel case ammo through my Mini-14, it shot very well, but a lot of the guys at the range will not use it in their ARs.
You can buy Ulyanovsk 7.62 for under $4.50 for 20 rounds.
Sorry, but corrosive rounds creep me out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WVwheelgunner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Gas! Gas! Gas!

Wolf. Anything except Soft Points... they tend to get impaled going into the pipe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Bomblast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 PM

It's weird that I've never fired Wolf rifle ammo, but I've shot plenty of Wolf .40 S&W.

Wolf's pistol ammo works very well in my guns, but I've seen some semi-autos which would not feed with it.

Does anyone know if all the Russian ammo is really made at separate factories? I have a theory there's just one big ammo factory in Russia, and they simply dye the cases different colors and put them in different boxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to WVwheelgunner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,878 Times in 10,482 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

the tolerances are tighter in an SKS, but I've never had trouble with polycoated ammo with my rickety ol' WASR. Wolf, Barnaul, Tula... doesnt matter, it'll eat it.

AKs are the Cookiemonsters of firearms.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Boolit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bomblast View Post
Wolf. Anything except Soft Points... they tend to get impaled going into the pipe.
I guess some rifles don't like the SP ammo I never had issues with any brand or type of ammo in my Yugo and Chines SKS,it eats it all including all lead cast bullets. I prefer the lacquer coated ammo over the poly coated stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to res45 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 AM
zombie response team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVwheelgunner View Post
It's weird that I've never fired Wolf rifle ammo, but I've shot plenty of Wolf .40 S&W.

Wolf's pistol ammo works very well in my guns, but I've seen some semi-autos which would not feed with it.

Does anyone know if all the Russian ammo is really made at separate factories? I have a theory there's just one big ammo factory in Russia, and they simply dye the cases different colors and put them in different boxes.
well ak's and sks's are less prone to failure with steel case ammo. most people just dont wanna run it through their ar-15's. in fact some manufacturers will void warranty if they see sign of use. but i had a stag model 3 that i did some what of a torture test with. i ran 800rds of wolf through it before i started having malfunctions. that being said the combloc nations produced steel cased ammo for their rifles for years, yet we hear of no trouble running it thru ak's or sks's, and i think thats because they arent as 'fragile' as ar 15's. cheap commie guns deserve cheap commie ammo, unless u are looking for accuracy...DONT BE AFFRAID OF WOLF!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to davis For This Useful Post: