Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Fearless, until scared.

Question smaller mylar packages within 5 gal container

Advertise Here

I'm working on my long term storage stuff and am wonder how people maximize their plastic 5gal pail storage when packing more than 1 item inside. For a single item stored in a pail, it's easy. Use a big 20x30 mylar bag, full it up, O2 absorber, then seal it (maybe even vacuum it), then close lid. Sure, there are other things you can do in addition to what I mentioned above but this whole process is easy and you're using nearly 100% of the available space inside. I have many spices and small items that will be individually packed in smaller mylar and then put into my pail. What method can be used to maximize storage space when using small, multiple items? They're typically unusually shaped and this'll cause wasted space inside the pail. Any good method to keep this from happening? I was thinking about packaging a bottom layer in the pail while the mylar was still open. This'll allow the contents of each packet to move as needed as I continue to stuff items in there. Once this bottom layer is fully stuffed, vacuum and seal the mylar. Then move onto the next level within the pail. Have I pretty much answered my own question? I'd appreciate your thoughts! Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to skydiverMN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,622 Times in 3,327 Posts

The most I can get in are 4 1 gallon bags. Haven't tried using anything smaller but it would seem possible to squeeze in many small bags into the voids between bags.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,553 Times in 874 Posts

I tend to store what i would also want to eat w/ rice,beans and pasta.
canned chili
canned spam
canned chicken
small mylar bags of spices,bouillion cubes,salt,hard candy and even gatoraid
I usually throw in a bottle of Louisiana hot sauce too

i pack all together(i also pack all three of rice,beans and pasta in the same bucket)

I like the grab on go aspect of it and the variety

I also tend to use 3.5 gallon buckets. they are easier for my wife and kids to move and they tend to stack easier
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 12vman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Head for the Hills!

Speaking of buckets, I found that my local HEB (grocery store) happily gives away 2 gallon and 5 gallon buckets for free! These are nice, USDA #2 with air tight, resealable lids. Free. They come with frosting in them and the bakery just throws them away!!!.

I picked up quite a few, took them home, removed the o-ring seals (they pop right out), cleaned them up and put the seals back in. Good to go. Did I mention, Free?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelGlide For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,094 Posts

Welcome to the site.
I just packed a 5 gallon bucket with 1/2qt and 1qt mylar bags, doing it like this you can get alot of variety. I also mark all bags and make a content list on the outside of the bucket plus I include cooking directions for items.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Look Behind You!!

Thanked 2,255 Times in 977 Posts

I have done a lot of 5gal bags in 5gal buckets. Been thinking of doing that myself.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Fearless, until scared.

Talking

Yep, this is where I got my last group of 10. I found this little tidbit from a good friend as I would never have thought to try the grocery stores. My local Cub and Rainbow set me up for awhile, and seemed happy to part with them. It did take a couple weeks for the bakery to call me when my 'order' was ready, as it seemed that I'm not the only one. The containers are just fine (they do smell of frosting!), though the lids aren't perfect as they've already been removed once. Still, they have a gasket that's intact, and they do stay closed, plus I'm packing in 5mil mylar anyway. Recycling at its best!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Left the building

Thanked 25,206 Times in 8,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelGlide View Post
Speaking of buckets, I found that my local HEB (grocery store) happily gives away 2 gallon and 5 gallon buckets for free! These are nice, USDA #2 with air tight, resealable lids. Free. They come with frosting in them and the bakery just throws them away!!!.

I picked up quite a few, took them home, removed the o-ring seals (they pop right out), cleaned them up and put the seals back in. Good to go. Did I mention, Free?
LOL...that's where I get mine. HEB. The last pic is of some icing buckets. At mine, I have to call ahead for the next morning, or they crush them.

As to the OP...you can get smaller bags in the buckets. But you're still gonna have voids. When I made some...I used o2 absorbers, got almost all the air out and layered them in. Trial and error.....don't let the o2 absorbers draw the bags down before you put them in the buckets. Put them in first. You can also cut larger bags, and make smaller ones if desired. Here are a few pics. Notice I have some elbow mac that's not in a bucket. It's because I learned the hard way....they don't play well together after the o2 has drawn them down. I keep them in a tote.
Attached Thumbnails
vac 002.jpg   vac 001.jpg   beans004.jpg   beans008.jpg   beans006.jpg   new buckets 002.jpg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxHills For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHills View Post
Notice I have some elbow mac that's not in a bucket. It's because I learned the hard way....they don't play well together after the o2 has drawn them down. I keep them in a tote.
thicker mylar will fix that
Old 03-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Fearless, until scared.

So, realistically I need to do my best to make efficient use of the space. There's not a perfect fix if I decide to go with more than 1 packet in my containers. Yeah... I kinda knew this, I guess. Thanks for all your help and pictures!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Left the building

Thanked 25,206 Times in 8,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman View Post
thicker mylar will fix that
?????????

I meant that once the bags are rock hard...it's hard to arrange them in a bucket. Placing them in before the o2 absorbers act....and the bags are still "manageable," works better.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHills View Post
?????????

I meant that once the bags are rock hard...it's hard to arrange them in a bucket. Placing them in before the o2 absorbers act....and the bags are still "manageable," works better.
thought you meant your bags w/ elbow pasta were showing punctures after sealing w/ o2 packets

I like to wait a day to make sure the bags are sealed properly w/ the o2 packets before I put it in....gives me piece of mind

any spaces left over from the larger bags can be filled w/ the smaller mylar bags
Old 03-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Fearless, until scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman View Post
thought you meant your bags w/ elbow pasta were showing punctures after sealing w/ o2 packets
Yeah, I kinda thought this was the case too. Thanks for the clarification. Just bought qt and gallon sized mylar (100 each), so I should be setup for awhile.