Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 PM

Default acog vs variable scope

Advertise Here

I'm trying to decide between a fixed 4x acog scope vs a variable scope start from a low power 1-4.5x to what ever lets just say 17x.

I want to be able to shoot up close and far.
What do you guys think I should get for a shtf optic?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Hiker

I am a huge fan of Trijicon products and I have owned a few over the years. While I like the ACOG, I find that the fixed magnification isn't great at anything in particular. I like Trijicon because you do not need to concern yourself with an electronic failure such as a battery going down. The tritium is nice and bright and it will last a good amount of years.

I don't know what type of firearm you are planning to use the optic on, so it's tough to make any sort of recommendation.

I can tell you that I have a Leatherwood CMR 1-4x optic on my RFB in .308...when I get to my BOL in a few weeks, I am going to stretch it's legs and go out to 600 yards. The CMR has hold over built into the reticle and it's calibrated for 62gr 223 and 168gr 308. The hold over hash marks are on at 200...my range limit is 200 yards.

You mention shoot close and far...care to explain what close and far means to you? It seems that some folks consider 100 yards long range, so just trying to clarify your statement.

You don't need a ton of magnification to reach 1,000 yards. As I stated many times, the military for years only used a straight 10X to shoot to 1,000.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Its for a flat top ar15 16" barrel close/far to me means, from 1 yard all the way out to 600 yards
Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 6,053 Times in 2,454 Posts

Hard to beat a Trijicon on an assault or battle rifle. 4X lets you see close to 300M - 500M very well. I have one and love it. As mentioned above, guess it depends on how far out, what caliber and type shooting. Hard to do quick close in shooting with high power scopes, hence not generally used on assault / battle rifles in general combat. Magnifications is good to have for really long shots. Nothing beats seeing the target and be able to make corrections at distance. My 2 cents.

Edit: I see you said out to 600M. Then Trijicon.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 PM
planner and prepper

Leupold Mark AR 1X4, great optic, specifically for the AR platform. 1X good for close, 4X if you can shoot you can do a lot.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:56 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,914 Times in 6,770 Posts

If you are in a SHTF situation, your need to shoot 600 meters isn't going to normally be that great. I seriously doubt if you will ever need to shoot 300 meters. Most of your combat shooting is done below 100 yards. The idea is get close and dump the ammo into your target at high speed. Over the years the Army has calculated that the overwhelming majority of infantry shooting distances involved ranges of 20 yards or less. For a number of years the European military forces had it figured that their average infantryman did not need to be able to shoot over 300 meters because they couldn't see that clearly that far. The modern guess is that the European concept was based off the idea that combat in that area involved all sorts of smoke from their old style cannons and rifles, lots of trees, hills, ridgelines, buildings and all sorts of dust in the air. In this day and age, a good tactical scope, like an ACOG, works well to meet the vast majority of shooting needs for most people in tactical situations. An ACOG would be the quickest way for you to engage targets with a scope because there is no fuss or muss when using one. With a variable power scope you have to get the distance right, allow for wind and all sorts of other issues. The best idea is to keep it simple when it comes to doing anything in a survival situation. So that means an ACOG would probably be better than most other scopes.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 AM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 6,053 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
If you are in a SHTF situation, your need to shoot 600 meters isn't going to normally be that great. I seriously doubt if you will ever need to shoot 300 meters. Most of your combat shooting is done below 100 yards. The idea is get close and dump the ammo into your target at high speed. Over the years the Army has calculated that the overwhelming majority of infantry shooting distances involved ranges of 20 yards or less. For a number of years the European military forces had it figured that their average infantryman did not need to be able to shoot over 300 meters because they couldn't see that clearly that far. The modern guess is that the European concept was based off the idea that combat in that area involved all sorts of smoke from their old style cannons and rifles, lots of trees, hills, ridgelines, buildings and all sorts of dust in the air. In this day and age, a good tactical scope, like an ACOG, works well to meet the vast majority of shooting needs for most people in tactical situations. An ACOG would be the quickest way for you to engage targets with a scope because there is no fuss or muss when using one. With a variable power scope you have to get the distance right, allow for wind and all sorts of other issues. The best idea is to keep it simple when it comes to doing anything in a survival situation. So that means an ACOG would probably be better than most other scopes.
The European concept is to put both hands in the air and surrender..... LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to NHP1127 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,983 Times in 3,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns111 View Post
I'm trying to decide between a fixed 4x acog scope vs a variable scope start from a low power 1-4.5x to what ever lets just say 17x.

I want to be able to shoot up close and far.
What do you guys think I should get for a shtf optic?
If you aren't familiar with the benefits of either platform, and do not know what you want, then it doesnt matter since you dont have the skill to begin with.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP1127 View Post
The European concept is to put both hands in the air and surrender..... LOL
Same thing for American progressives
The Following User Says Thank You to Axles of Evil For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,628 Times in 2,532 Posts

I just borrowed an ACOG, I didn't like it nearly as well as I had expected. The trick is that you HAVE to find your target with both eyes open. If you treat it like a normal scope it will be out of focus and look like a crappy red dot. When you do this you can find far-off targets quickly and in focus, but for closer shots, even like 50 yards away, with both eyes open I ended up superimposing the red chevron that my right eye saw over the landscape that my left eye was seeing. Which, makes your gun point in the wrong place. You're close, but you have to get close like this then close your left eye to get exact. Much slower than I had expected, although I admit I would probably get used to it.

So, I am just going to get something like a Leupold 2.5-8 then a second red dot.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,983 Times in 3,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
I just borrowed an ACOG, I didn't like it nearly as well as I had expected. The trick is that you HAVE to find your target with both eyes open. If you treat it like a normal scope it will be out of focus and look like a crappy red dot. When you do this you can find far-off targets quickly and in focus, but for closer shots, even like 50 yards away, with both eyes open I ended up superimposing the red chevron that my right eye saw over the landscape that my left eye was seeing. Which, makes your gun point in the wrong place. You're close, but you have to get close like this then close your left eye to get exact. Much slower than I had expected, although I admit I would probably get used to it.

So, I am just going to get something like a Leupold 2.5-8 then a second red dot.
The purpose is not that you "have" to use both eyes, but that you "can". It's always better if you "can" have both eyes open. Thats kinda behind the whole scout scope, forward optic concept - that you can see more than whats in the ocular. It may seem slower, but if you closed your left eye and found the target with right eye using a stopwatch, you will find that its actually faster with both open. True, it may seem "weird" having your eyes show different magnfication, but once you get used to it its more accurate and faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
The purpose is not that you "have" to use both eyes, but that you "can".
For me, I actually had to, not for target acquisition, as yes I could find the target either way, but unless I had both eyes open and focused on the target, the red chevron just turned into a fuzzy blur, and the black ballistic markings could not be seen. At that point I had to try to force myself to focus correctly, and it often took a very long time before the chevron was clear. I simply could not make myself focus correctly and quickly with one eye shut. This is different than a normal hunting scope. The issue I am speaking of is actually very similar to an Eotech, except with magnification, so it seemed even less natural.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:55 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,914 Times in 6,770 Posts

If you don't like the ACOG, don't get it or use it. Get something else that works for you. But if you do work with the ACOGs for awhile, you learn to use them like a regular telescope too. You have to train yourself on how to use something. Kind of like computers and typing. It takes time. But, by all means, get what you feel comfortable using.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
If you don't like the ACOG, don't get it or use it. Get something else that works for you. But if you do work with the ACOGs for awhile, you learn to use them like a regular telescope too. You have to train yourself on how to use something. Kind of like computers and typing. It takes time. But, by all means, get what you feel comfortable using.
Like I said before, I fully admit I'd probably get used to it. I've simply used the same 3x scope exclusively for the past 25 years and I'm rather quick with it, I've shot a deer in mid air from 10 yards away as it jumped a fence with my old 3x. The way that you aim in that situation simply doesn't work with an ACOG, and I've done it so long that my first experience with an ACOG didn't turn out too well.
The Following User Says Thank You to corndogggy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 03:00 PM
planner and prepper

Other option to throw out there, which I use and like is an Aimpoint with the option of using a QD 3x magnifyer. I use the 2moa dot ML2 and have loved it since I got it. A buddy who does A LOT of competitive shooting (is sponsored and is damn good) uses an Aimpoint with a magnifyer so I gave it a shot and it is great. You can get mounts that are easy on/off, or flip to the side mounts and such. I can do most shooting out to 100 yards easy with the 2moa dot alone, and can add the magnifyer for further distances or if I want to "see better" what I am shooting at. I have 2 setups 1 running the Aimpoint ML2 with magnifyer and am in the process of building a new rifle that will use a designated marksman type 1X4 setup.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry

Thanked 1,870 Times in 858 Posts

Trijicon TA 33 It's light, has great eye relief, thin and light. It's like a magnified Aimpoint T-1. It's obviously slower at close range but the magnification if adds is a good trade off. You can always offset an Aimpoint micro or Trijicon RMR for close engagements as well.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Thread Killer !

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
If you aren't familiar with the benefits of either platform, and do not know what you want, then it doesnt matter since you dont have the skill to begin with.
Great value added post !
Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Prepared

I prefer teh ACOG for teh aforementioned reasons. Both eyes open for upo close is not an issue, just don't spend time trying to focus in, that's what's getting you. See teh chevron/donut on target, pull trigger.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is teh durability factor. I have no problem throwing my acog across teh street to you, would you have a problem throwing your variable back to me?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPX View Post
I have no problem throwing my acog across teh street to you, would you have a problem throwing your variable back to me?
I wouldn't go that far, I've seen alot of broken ACOGs. But I'm talking about a sample size of 300 or more. Good optic but I think their durability might be a little oversold...
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,213 Times in 31,446 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
If you are in a SHTF situation, your need to shoot 600 meters isn't going to normally be that great. I seriously doubt if you will ever need to shoot 300 meters. Most of your combat shooting is done below 100 yards. The idea is get close and dump the ammo into your target at high speed. Over the years the Army has calculated that the overwhelming majority of infantry shooting distances involved ranges of 20 yards or less. For a number of years the European military forces had it figured that their average infantryman did not need to be able to shoot over 300 meters because they couldn't see that clearly that far.
That's military conflicts. Things can be completely different in a post SHTF civilian world. Since nobody really knows how it'll play out, keeping our options open, especially in areas with wide open spaces, makes the most sense to me.