Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
defend against tyranny

Default uses for old batteries?

Advertise Here

I have saved all the AA and AAA batteries I've used for a few years. have around 50 AA and 20 AAA's. Is there anywhere I can get these recharged or another use for them?

Thanks,
Falcon
Old 03-15-2011, 04:42 PM

If you've been using the batteries in a high powered device like a digital camera you can take the batteries and use them in something like a wall clock or small radio that uses less power. Even when a battery appears to be out of juice there might be a little left.

Not my idea: Also, you can perhaps use them as a projectile in a blow gun type of device? lol Make sure they aren't corroded first. (I read that amusingly haphazard suggestion on another site.)

Someone else had suggested bricking together 9v batteries to get some sort of charge. I have no idea if that's plausible or not.

Pretty sad that there aren't many other uses. It's too dangerous to fiddle with the inside contents?
The Following User Says Thank You to crushedupstars For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Too bad Veterans Stadium in Philly is gone the fans in section 700 there would have put them to use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Years ago I'd line 'em up on the fence out back and plink 'em off one at a time with my .22..............
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CO-retired For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Prepared

Put 'em inside a tube sock and have yourself a spiffy new weapon?

(D cells are best for that, but I suppose AA or AAA would work pretty well, too.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ocalhoun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Prepared

If they are alkaline you can re-charge them in some chargers. They will re-charge 2 or 3 times. I do it all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to RollinTide For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM

Slingshot fodder
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmaHeavy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,345 Times in 521 Posts

At the University of Wisconsin, the students use old batteries to whip at opposing football players as they come out of the tunnel onto the field.

Just sayin'.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snowdog650 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 PM

Rifle target practice.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:38 PM
The War to end all Wars

Set of a flash bulb. Very effective night time warning/defense system. At night your eyes produce a chemical known as visual purple which helps with night vision. Takes about 30-45 min to get fully loaded. A flash bulb going off in the area results in temporary blindness for 5 or so min and very reduced vision for a period after (the light destroys the visual purple).

To use: take a cloths pin and push a thumb tack on each side of the part that closes. Wire one side of the battery to one of the thumb tacks. Hook/tape/tie the cloths pin to a tree or similar stationary object. Put a non-conducting piece of something (plastic, twig, or similar) between the thumb tacks with a trip wire tied to it. Run a wire from the other thumb tack to one side of the flash bulb. Run another wire from the other side of the flash bulb to the other post of the battery. Anything that pull the trip will allow the circuit to close setting of the flash bulb. Put out a number around your perimeter at night. In a post SHTF world there will be very little light at night so a flash bulb will be a very clear signal that something is in the neighborhood.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ww1military For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 AM
defend against tyranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1military View Post
Set of a flash bulb. Very effective night time warning/defense system. At night your eyes produce a chemical known as visual purple which helps with night vision. Takes about 30-45 min to get fully loaded. A flash bulb going off in the area results in temporary blindness for 5 or so min and very reduced vision for a period after (the light destroys the visual purple).

To use: take a cloths pin and push a thumb tack on each side of the part that closes. Wire one side of the battery to one of the thumb tacks. Hook/tape/tie the cloths pin to a tree or similar stationary object. Put a non-conducting piece of something (plastic, twig, or similar) between the thumb tacks with a trip wire tied to it. Run a wire from the other thumb tack to one side of the flash bulb. Run another wire from the other side of the flash bulb to the other post of the battery. Anything that pull the trip will allow the circuit to close setting of the flash bulb. Put out a number around your perimeter at night. In a post SHTF world there will be very little light at night so a flash bulb will be a very clear signal that something is in the neighborhood.
cool! these work with old batteries,too?
The Following User Says Thank You to falconman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 AM
This is a great survival forum

Place them in manure and they will give power. I have seen an Indian (from India) do it. Real Manure, rather fresh.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Trapper

you can put that many in a bucket with two or three gallons of water let them soak for a few weeks to a month and then pour the water somewhere you want to kill all plant growth for several years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swordbearer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Recent Blog:
Gitter Done!

Thanked 1,757 Times in 613 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I have saved all the AA and AAA batteries I've used for a few years. have around 50 AA and 20 AAA's. Is there anywhere I can get these recharged or another use for them?

Thanks,
Falcon
Recharge them. They sell a charger for store bought every day batteries that is safe to use and recharges any of your little batteries. I bought one and I keep every battery I use and recharge them up over and over again and they still keep working. You can find them at wallyworld (walmart), ACE, Home Depot, and a few other place not to mention online. Cost $20 bucks.

That way you are not wasting money.

Also for car batteries, look up Rejuvenator Tractorbyte, this should bring you to the site where some farmers found a great way to rejuvenate auto/tractor/solar batteries with a simple $10 dollar home made unit. I built one and it rejuvenated (desulfated) 3 of my car batteries. Saves money too.

Thought I would share.
The Following User Says Thank You to usmountains For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 05:16 PM
defend against tyranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1military View Post

I can't figure it out. Is the flash bulb like a camera flash? AA battery?

Thanks,
Falcon
Old 03-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 92,395 Times in 30,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I only use rechargeables. I don't have any suggestions about what to do with old ones. When mine won't take a charge anymore, I just throw them away.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 92,395 Times in 30,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

Thanks,
Falcon
Or get those flashcubes. They don't need electricity. They have a spring inside that when you push it off it's post, it smacks the base of the bulb and sets it off. Makes for some simple mechanical alarms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 PM
The War to end all Wars

Quote:

Thanks,
Falcon
The flash is from an old flash bulb. I like the AG1 size since it has two wire contacts at the bottom which make it easy to connect the wires. Like MikeK said the flashcube can accomplish the same task with out a battery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ww1military For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM
The War to end all Wars

Quote:
cool! these work with old batteries,too?
It should, doesn't take much juice to set one off. I would get a meter and check the level of the battery and run a test or two. Most likely this will happen in the process of learning how to set them up.
The Following User Says Thank You to ww1military For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,462 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushedupstars View Post
If you've been using the batteries in a high powered device like a digital camera you can take the batteries and use them in something like a wall clock or small radio that uses less power. Even when a battery appears to be out of juice there might be a little left.

Not my idea: Also, you can perhaps use them as a projectile in a blow gun type of device? lol Make sure they aren't corroded first. (I read that amusingly haphazard suggestion on another site.)

Someone else had suggested bricking together 9v batteries to get some sort of charge. I have no idea if that's plausible or not.

Pretty sad that there aren't many other uses. It's too dangerous to fiddle with the inside contents?

You could parallel a bunch of these together to get some low voltage DC. It would serve to power a light in an emergency. Problem is that you would need to solder them together. Maybe you could do that with an iron heated in charcoal. Back when I took sheet metal shop in high school we would heat irons over a gas flame and use them to solder bucket seams. (Lead? What lead?)