Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,539 Times in 2,774 Posts
Default LDS - Bishops Storehouse

Advertise Here

First, I'd like to thank those who introduce this orginization to me.

Second, well, I made the trip there yesterday to check it out. Some of the most HELPFUL people I've ever met. Took them about 30 seconds to introduce their selves to me and then start training me on how to can my own food.

I todl them I need to can the food I've already purchased but per LDS policy, I can't bring outside food into their canning area which I totally understand, however, to my surgrin, they lent me a canner. They've never met me before, don't know who I am, but more than willing to help a person out.

Their product is cheaper than anything you can buy out there (even at Sam's) other than their Mylar bags which they even stated that.

They also never asked if I was associated with the church or even if I was a Christian which if asked, I would have told them the truth that I am not but I respect their beliefs and their helping hand something emmensily.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bearack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,692 Times in 4,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearack View Post
First, I'd like to thank those who introduce this orginization to me.

Second, well, I made the trip there yesterday to check it out. Some of the most HELPFUL people I've ever met. Took them about 30 seconds to introduce their selves to me and then start training me on how to can my own food.

I todl them I need to can the food I've already purchased but per LDS policy, I can't bring outside food into their canning area which I totally understand, however, to my surgrin, they lent me a canner. They've never met me before, don't know who I am, but more than willing to help a person out.

Their product is cheaper than anything you can buy out there (even at Sam's) other than their Mylar bags which they even stated that.

They also never asked if I was associated with the church or even if I was a Christian which if asked, I would have told them the truth that I am not but I respect their beliefs and their helping hand something emmensily.
We have non Christians in our group and they are just like you. Mature and respectful to other peoples beliefs.

At the beginning the LDS people did say a prayer. Everyone either prays or respectfully waits for them to finish. Other then that, not one word on their beliefs.

To be honest, I wouldn't of minded if they did. Maybe in their own way they did? Through actions and life style. Better to show someone you are good by living it. Then maybe through curiosity, we ask them what makes them different.

Oh, Remember to not only buy #10 canned foods, but also the large 40lb bags. That way you have something to rotate, and work out your recipes before the SHTF. No one can compete with the LDS on food prices. They aren't making a profit so consider leaving a donation. Our group did, including the athiests and non believers. After all, we plan on coming back.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,539 Times in 2,774 Posts

I surely will. I need to go back there today and pick up some more cans and ask a few other questions. One maybe you can answer. Can you can salt with O2 absorbers or will that clump the salt like sugar?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM

Went to the one close to my home great people
The Following User Says Thank You to Philburr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 AM

I am still waiting for a call back from my local LDS. If they have what I need, it will be worth the hour drive!

Edited because after I posted this, I called the Bishop's storehouse. The cannery is closed until Saturday or next week because of a family issue.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,322 Times in 31,240 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I surely will. I need to go back there today and pick up some more cans and ask a few other questions. One maybe you can answer. Can you can salt with O2 absorbers or will that clump the salt like sugar?
Neither salt nor sugar need an O2 absorber. O2 doesn't bother it, and it will clump it up. It just needs to be kept dry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Neither salt nor sugar need an O2 absorber. O2 doesn't bother it, and it will clump it up. It just needs to be kept dry.
Exactly. It still needs to be canned, but in 50 years, it will be just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie View Post
I am still waiting for a call back from my local LDS. If they have what I need, it will be worth the hour drive!

Edited because after I posted this, I called the Bishop's storehouse. The cannery is closed until Saturday or next week because of a family issue.
We had to also make arrangments as to when we could attend. It's best to be in a group to do so... if you are interested I know of an AMAZING Florida Survivalist group. I think in the Tampa Area. The leader of it is a good friend of mine, I could put in a good word for you.

If the SHTF we plan on staying in contact Via Ham Radio. Networking FTW.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Our Local LDS became rather close with our group. The Bishop was really nice, and as I said, all of us showed them the UPMOST respect.

They actually lent us their Canner. (those things cost $5,000!) We were then able to Can up all the store bought stuff we had. Sucks that I wasted so much money on things they carry, but then again the things the LDS doesn't carry also got canned.

I have everything from Pancake mix, to Organic Flour.

One of the many benefits of being in a local survivalist network/group.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

Thanked 1,665 Times in 699 Posts

I'm confused as to what to expect from one of these sites. At the LDS website, they have links that include the Bishops' Storehouses, and Home Storage Centers. In my area, its the same location. Does one serve as a cannery and one serve as a store? So, is this right - you can food that you buy from them, as well as buy in bulk cheaper than at Sam's / Costco?

One more question, is it seasonal dependent on when you can go can? One of their sites appeared to advertise pick your own, and it isn't exactly harvest time in the great white north. Oh, and one more... is it better to have a group just from an efficiency standpoint?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
I'm confused as to what to expect from one of these sites. At the LDS website, they have links that include the Bishops' Storehouses, and Home Storage Centers. In my area, its the same location. Does one serve as a cannery and one serve as a store? So, is this right - you can food that you buy from them, as well as buy in bulk cheaper than at Sam's / Costco?

One more question, is it seasonal dependent on when you can go can? One of their sites appeared to advertise pick your own, and it isn't exactly harvest time in the great white north. Oh, and one more... is it better to have a group just from an efficiency standpoint?
Excellent questions.

First, this isn't a store. If you are allowed inside, you should count yourself lucky or blessed.

They aren't selling anything. This is a kitchen.

When you show up (ON TIME) you will be instructed on what you will be doing. They will go over safety, provide you gloves, and the rules. Once you are properly equipped you will be stationed at one of the many processing stations.

Here you will either load the food into #10 Cans, apply oxygen absorbers, Label them, or keep inventory.

The Bishop and I got along really well, so he worked the crap out of me. I had to go to the store house, grab hug boxes of foods and bring them to the kitchen. After all orders are completed they would total up the costs and each person pays. The Church doesn't make one penny. In fact if you count their equipment, supplies and upkeep, they are loosing money.

You don't have to Mylar or #10 can everything. Some do because it's so cheap, why wouldn't you? You can buy bulk 40 lb bags of food which require no processing.

Call up the LDS and ask them if they will allow you an appointment. Me and the Bishop got along so well, he offered me a Bible. I didn't refuse it.

The NC LDS are some of the nicest people I have ever met. However, if you aren't going to be respectful, or work, I suggest you buy your preps online.

Oh and if your hygiene isn't good, don't show up, because unlike those nice priests, I will embarrass you.

I am not the cleanest person, but when it comes to LDS day, I shave both my head and face, scrub my arms, and take this very seriously.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

So - a group goes and checks out all the bulk foods they have on hand, and each decides how much they want of whatever. Then you all work together to put all those orders together, and then pay them only cost (plus a donation if so inclined). How big of a group would you recommend, and are we talkin about all day or a few hours? (I suppose that depends on the size of the group and the amount of food). Respect or disrespect wouldn't be an issue that even crossed my mind. I would expect to treat them like I do anybody I meet in an everyday situation, which is to say, friendly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
So - a group goes and checks out all the bulk foods they have on hand, and each decides how much they want of whatever. Then you all work together to put all those orders together, and then pay them only cost (plus a donation if so inclined). How big of a group would you recommend, and are we talkin about all day or a few hours? (I suppose that depends on the size of the group and the amount of food). Respect or disrespect wouldn't be an issue that even crossed my mind. I would expect to treat them like I do anybody I meet in an everyday situation, which is to say, friendly.
The amount of time you spend does depend on the orders.

For instance, I buy bulk 40lb bags of foods that require no canning to long term storage.

I might buy a few #10 Cans, but most of the things I buy now is just me cycling my food supply.

I open a 40lb bag, divide it up in old #10 cans, use those cheap plastic lids to keep them sealed and in a year or so I will have eaten through it all.

Sadly the Kitchens don't have much diversity when it comes to the foods. You wont see powdered cheese, or dehydrated meats, so I suggest you go through the online promoters of this site.

The prices are fair and actually what the Mormons should be charging. Adding bacon to beans makes a huge difference. Be sure and Diversify.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,097 Times in 449 Posts

My late older brother is/was married to a fine LDS lady, and had his sons. We are close, and they extend us every courtesy as Christians. They even asked me to speak at his funeral service in the temple. They honored me as if I were LDS. Good people!

ISS
The Following User Says Thank You to ISS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

I didn't realize at first that this was all tin canning rather than pressure or water canning. Or at least that's the way it appears to me. Many different sites offer different options.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 PM

Can someone give me a URL that will tell me the closest location of a Bishops House?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ

Thanked 8,593 Times in 3,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarky View Post
Can someone give me a URL that will tell me the closest location of a Bishops House?

Here you go.
1063 Detroit Ave
Concord, California 94518
(925) 798-1763
Old 07-08-2011, 02:12 PM
audentes fortuna iuvat

Thanked 1,010 Times in 384 Posts

Is there a Bishops House in the Florida Panhandle?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Isaiah 40:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedishdoc View Post
I don't know about a Bishop's Storehouse, but I know there are not any of their Provident Living centers in the Panhandle. The closest would probably be the one in Jacksonville. I also want to echo what Crutch said. I have LDS friends and I know that the Bishop's Storehouse is not considered open to the public. It's a community outreach program for the poor and an emergency/welfare system typically reserved for LDS church members. Provident Living centers are a little different. Those are typically available even to non-members of the church, but the Bishop's Storehouse is usually only open to the public in a time of emergency, like a natural disaster.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ

Thanked 8,593 Times in 3,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedishdoc View Post

5000 SW 52nd St #512
Davie, Florida 33314
954) 581-2165

5100 Firestone Road
PO Box 14664
Jacksonville, Florida 32210
904) 772-8897

10502 Satellite Blvd Ste A
Orlando, Florida 32837
407) 857-1863

802 Hitchcock Street
PO Box GGG