Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 AM

Advertise Here

I am in Washington State and the concern level has risen enough over the Japan incident that they are monitoring radiation levels here. I've been trying to find (in stock) Thyrosafe with no luck. I've found other brands, but I am a bit hesitant about buying from companies I am unfamiliar with. Ugh! Definitely an eyeopener about the importance of being prepared!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:50 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendkeys View Post
I sold a bottle i had on ebay for 80 bucks. I see no reason it would do any good for someone living on the west coast.
Maybe it should be "Death, Taxes, and Capitalism"
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyjedi View Post
I am in Washington State and the concern level has risen enough over the Japan incident that they are monitoring radiation levels here. I've been trying to find (in stock) Thyrosafe with no luck. I've found other brands, but I am a bit hesitant about buying from companies I am unfamiliar with. Ugh! Definitely an eyeopener about the importance of being prepared!
Check health food stores and Sams Club & Costco. I wouldn't buy from Amazon & DEFINITELY NOT FROM EBAY. Some people will be making a small fortune selling fake stuff out there, get it off of a shelf.
Sources of natural Iodine such as Kelp and Dulse will help too. Also get liquid mineral supplements and take plenty.
The Following User Says Thank You to doc_jude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
I purchased my KI03 last year and Isostat 5 years ago but for all of you that cannot find it in I found some at this place: http://www.cpr-savers.com/disastersu...orps-ki03.html for a very reasonable price. Very close to what I paid last year.
Thanks.

Never heard of this site before. Is it legit? Are the stuff they sell real or fake?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Hiker

Here is another source of Potassium Iodide that is in stock. You can get it faster if you select faster shipping too.

http://www.nutricity.com/n/pc/showse...30&submit.y=25
Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 AM
This is my real name.

I'm a little confused on this;

the directions say to use 1-4 daily but no for no longer than 10 days. Can anyone school me on how many to use exactly (I'm approximately 160 lbs in good health), and does it do harm to take for more than 10 days? I've been reading up on this and some people plan to use this product for weeks at a time.

Someone please help clear this up, thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Piotrowski View Post

the directions say to use 1-4 daily but no for no longer than 10 days. Can anyone school me on how many to use exactly (I'm approximately 160 lbs in good health), and does it do harm to take for more than 10 days? I've been reading up on this and some people plan to use this product for weeks at a time.

Im on a cell so i cant get you the numbets butcheck wiki for the required mg . You can not take it for more than 10 days this is one of the reasons ots worthless for people on the west coast. If youre in japan it would be worth it as after 10 days the rads should lower or it would give them time to move to another area. Again people if youre in the US wait three weeks and buy it when its cheaper. Iv the nukes start flying you can use normaldrugstore iodine on your arm.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiway 12 View Post
Thanks.

Never heard of this site before. Is it legit? Are the stuff they sell real or fake?
I just ordered 3 bottles for $52.25 which includes shipping and tax. After reviewing their web site and reading the "about us" section I have no reason to think that this company is a fraud.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Default The Nerve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
www.nukepills.com has liquid from $10 yesterday and "out of stock" to "instock" today and $25..Now that is inflation.
I was on Ebay last nite and saw: 1 package Iosat Potassium Pills (14 pills total) for $350.00 NO JOKE
Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 AM

Default A Natural iodine

U can buy bladderwrack, kelp. which is a cool-water vegetable.. containing significant levels of iodine -----
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,116 Times in 4,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyjedi View Post
espesially with meds. be careful. lots of companies use substandard items to make their products and claim them to be just as good. this happens all the time with meds made in mexico, and often times with the stuff you buy online from canada.

btw- welcome to the boards
Old 03-15-2011, 12:26 PM

I have enough Iostat for my family, already prepped. I went yesterday morning (Monday) to a huge CVS here in Santa Monica (Los Angeles). The pharmacy there has 4-6 pharmacists on staff all the time. I thought I would stockpile some more for the families and singles that live right next door to us.

They were completely out- I spoke with the head pharmacist and he said they had received over 200 calls that morning with requests for the drug. He has looked into it and says that it will take 3-4 weeks before they can obtain any more.

This is why we prep ahead of time. Assume that what you need will not be available when crisis comes.

One good thing, personally, to come of the Japan earthquake is my wide is now completely onboard. Before she was kind of there... but a bit hesitant. Now she has no issues with the prepping and has been thanking me for what I've been doing.

Here in LA- that could have easily been us and not Japan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleLeadMen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM
just your average nobody

I noticed Walgreens and CVS totally pulled anything to do with it off of their websites as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarkingdom View Post
What this thread really makes me ask is, why so many of you need to order any at all I mean this was one of the first preps I bought, 400 tablets I.A.A.A.M Potassium Iodide USP 65mg each and that was back in 2007. I just wonder how many tablets Jerry D. Young or James Wesley Rawles have in their provisions, probably far more than me! This should be a wake up call people, when the ball drops (no I am not worried this will be the one I need to crack open my bottles of P.I. for but that might have to do with them being in my posession allready) if you ae not allready prepared then you are a have not, literally and the way we as preppers aspire not to be.
Umm I think thats why people are asking. It is a wake up call. I walk with in 3 feet of a reactor Everyday for the last 15 years! Never thought about it. If Japan was a wake up call for me which I admit was complacent of me, then I can only imagine what people are thinking when they arent use to it. at least they see it happening and are taken action before it is too late. Far better then the ones that say it won't happen here(said at work today).
Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 8,516 Times in 3,582 Posts

According to our local health foods store if you can't get the potassium iodide seaweed has high levels of potassium iodide and was shown to help in those that were exposed to radioactive material.

My local Health foods store has 60 pills for $9.00....he said he refuses to jack up the prices

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaweed

http://www.seagateproducts.com/seaweed-supplement.html

Quote:
Iodine is an important trace mineral found in seaweed. One serving of seaweed powder (10 grams) contains 0.12 mgs of iodine or 59% of the suggested daily value. For most people, iodine is an essential mineral helping to regulate the thyroid. However, persons with a thyroid condition should first consult with their health care professional to determine their limit of iodine consumption. Iodine has show to be a very important nutrient to take in case of exposure to high doses or radiation, interfering with the absorption of radioactive isotopes by the thyroid.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 PM

For my first post I offer this. Unbelievable 14 pills for $500:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00006NT3A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1300215621&sr=1-1-spell&condition=new

Edit: they took that down in the last hour and now it shows $98. Click below.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,116 Times in 4,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLeadMen View Post
I have enough Iostat for my family, already prepped. I went yesterday morning (Monday) to a huge CVS here in Santa Monica (Los Angeles). The pharmacy there has 4-6 pharmacists on staff all the time. I thought I would stockpile some more for the families and singles that live right next door to us.

They were completely out- I spoke with the head pharmacist and he said they had received over 200 calls that morning with requests for the drug. He has looked into it and says that it will take 3-4 weeks before they can obtain any more.

This is why we prep ahead of time. Assume that what you need will not be available when crisis comes.

One good thing, personally, to come of the Japan earthquake is my wife is now completely onboard. Before she was kind of there... but a bit hesitant. Now she has no issues with the prepping and has been thanking me for what I've been doing.

Here in LA- that could have easily been us and not Japan.

im sure there is alot of wifes and husbands having their eyes opened for them
Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

Thanked 1,541 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Piotrowski View Post

Ten days. What I wonder is if that's all you're supposed to take per emergency? Or is a person supposed to take it for 10 days, skip a day, and then another ten days etc....

From looking around online at various sites selling it, it appears that 130 mg daily is the adult dosage. The pills often come in 65 mg doses, so then obviously, two pills a day per adult. Some come in full 130 mg doses, but are scored for easy splitting in half for lower dosages as needed. Google around or proper dosages.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,167 Times in 605 Posts

Already stocked up. No worries. I live near a nuke plant. Everyone within 10 miles of it was issued KI tablets a couple of years ago. I am outside that range, so I bought my own.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Professional Amateur

I'm going to stock up in a month or two, after this buying frenzy dies down a bit.

Does anyone know what the shelf life of this stuff is?

D