Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Manmade and Natural Disasters
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Dust of the Earth

Default Radiation Network

Advertise Here

Not sure if this has ever been posted, but with all the chatter and concern I thought some of you might find it useful. It's a grass roots network of people monitoring radiation levels across the USA.

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/
Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 AM
+

Thanked 2,940 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf911 View Post
Not sure if this has ever been posted, but with all the chatter and concern I thought some of you might find it useful. It's a grass roots network of people monitoring radiation levels across the USA.

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/RadiationNetwork.htm
The EPA has an extensive monitoring system. But the results aren't available to the public at large. Seems they want to decide how much we know and don't know. So it's nice to hear there's some private citizens keeping an eye on things.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,300 Posts

Wish there was a Canadian network doing this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Reluctor of dominatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
The EPA has an extensive monitoring system. But the results aren't available to the public at large. Seems they want to decide how much we know and don't know. So it's nice to hear there's some private citizens keeping an eye on things.
No doubt about that, by the time they get around to telling us most of them will be in a secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Santino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 10:16 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 8,474 Times in 2,281 Posts

130 CPM, good basic level. We used to use 100 CPM to warrant a better frisk at the nuke plants. Warning: Some areas may show high levels during temperature inversions due to build up of natural radon decay products. We used to get false positives about once a month out in the lava flats around the nuclear prototypes in Idaho. We would then do a decay on the levels and if it mapped out to a 30 minute half life we knew it was natural and not from one of the prototype nuclear plants. Any area with lots of pitchblende, granite or basalt that is subject to temperature inversions can have temporary spikes above this level.

If anythng comes from the Japan incident (and I seriously doubt it will) the sites in Washington should be hit first with high readings (assuming the jetstream carries the plume, which there isn't a plume yet and probably won't be) and it will spread down the coast.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 AM

I'm afraid is alittle bit too accessed, best of cases, or obscured, worst. I started to follow that site yesterday night, from Italy, with the idea to monitor the situation on USA, in order to be informed, do you know in italy media are not so "trustable", but now it does'nt not responds, and google suggest the cache copy.. very useful!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umberto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM

And 9mmMike, I'm not so sure that you will not get some fall out, it just depends from wind direction, but if you consider that in chernobyl just one reactor was the problem, and here we have 4 reactors exploded, and more plant in emergency, if I were in your shoes I would start to get some niacine and C vitamine in my home, and when I say some, I say that way to don't be exagerate. Actually the japan tv is talking about hidrogen explosion inside the reactors. That is definitely not something you may handle with a 9mm, even if a 9mm may be useful in a lot of situations.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,093 Times in 396 Posts

This site was working last night and is not working this morning. What gives????
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to optimist45 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Civilian Intelligence

Thanked 2,372 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist45 View Post
This site was working last night and is not working this morning. What gives????
They pulled the HTML file.

What might have been happening was someone was leeching the constantly updating image and they didn't know how to do an anti-leeching script in htaccess.
The Following User Says Thank You to lonesurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
VIP Member

Umberto,

4 reactors didn't explode. Hydrogen gas leaked into flimsy steel buildings (like you put a tractor on a farm into) ignited and blew the thin steel siding off the tops and sides of the external buildings. The reactor containment and reactor vessels that are the primary barriers to a massive Chernobyl like disaster are still intact. Chernobyl had no containment and only a relatively flimsy reactor vessel. I suggest going to WIKI and reading about the Chernobyl accident there as their coverage is excellent. Then read about a BWR reactor and you will see the differences.

No, we will not get fallout in California or Georgia.

I worked for 6 years in the USN as a Nuclear Machinest Mate/Engineering Laboratory Technician, MM1/ELT and then for 10 years in the civilian nuclear field as a primary chemist at 4 different nuclear plants. I think I probably know a little bit about what is going on here.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Now , checked few minutes ago, it's restarted. Probably a not intentional "flood attack" caused by the news spreaded from Japan tv, about the reactor 4 explosion, the new settlement tremour and the increase of the accident to level 6. Would be very interesting, if possible, to contact the monitoring stations, to create a mirror of the info, even if a bit arranged with may be an open google group that shares a calc sheet kept updated with the values, this can be done in minutes, but is something that must be done in USA country, is very difficoult to do it from europe, due to time shift, first, and several other reasons. If that situation became worst, and we can't exclude a domino effect, there is still three or four other plants in emergency and more the number of skilled people to handle with situation like this is not excessive, and they are probably concentrated in fukushima plant, where there is the worst situation. Would be very important to keep a free monitoring of the contamination level, since is very likely that "official" medias will try to cheat to avoid panic.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

What is up is a cached page, note the date on the bottom of the map, 5/6/09.

Ok, refreshed the page, it is back now. Everything normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM

Sorry for my english, I normally use it for informatic technical manuals, so it's very limited. What I intend to say is that inside the reactor 4 there have been an explosion, medias says caused from gas of hydrogen, not that the reactor is exploded, but i've seen a satellite image of the plants, and it really seems surgically bombed. The news about fukushima plant are always worst, and I hope you are right, Mike, I really hope it, but I'm afraid the situation is very bad. It depends from a long list of factors, basically actually in tokyo the have a radiation level ten times normal, and it will likely increase again,I base this evaluation on the new recently heard in tv that your governement as given the limited activity order to your troops based in Japan (TV says, please confirm) that means to keep inside building as more as possible and to secure air consitioning systems.
this is an independent measurement link of tokyo radiation level
http://gadget.wired.it/blog/otaku_ne...u-ustream.html
Do you need to register to wired and ustream, at least in Italy, but is free.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 AM

Default radiation network

okay but why is the site off line NOW?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedidiahhh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 AM

Why is the site now off line?
The Following User Says Thank You to jedidiahhh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I love this forum

link changed go to the main site
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Dust of the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendkeys View Post
link changed go to the main site
Thank you. I updated the original post with this link.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackwolf911 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 2,762 Times in 784 Posts

EPA does put out an interactive map. How accurate/truthful it is I cant say.

https://cdxnode64.epa.gov/radnet-public/showMap.do
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,014 Times in 3,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
EPA does put out an interactive map. How accurate/truthful it is I cant say.

https://cdxnode64.epa.gov/radnet-public/showMap.do
Its nice they did that but the best part is they hastily put these maps up (because their bosses told them to) and don't explain anything to anyone. I remember talking to a former director of the Employment Standards Branch of BC a while back and he said the average person has the reading capacity of a person in grade 10. They have to dumb down the complaint booklets they pass out so that a person can understand how to make a complaint. So throwing a map with a bunch of numbers and readings is not gonna help people who look at headlines in the news at all.

Some radiation has already come here and more will come. Just that the levels will not be concentrated to affect human life at all. Very minuscule.

But I would stay away from the Pacific Fish for the next 30 years...unless you take your hand held Dosimeter to your local Sushi Restaurant....

Just think of all that water they are pumping onto the reactor to keep it cool flowing back into the ocean to be carried out by the currents..plus all the rads in the air blowing out into the pacific falling down from rain etc....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackkitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM

This site is up and running for monitoring radiation levels

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/RadMap/map.html

I pulled out my electronic Geiger counter equipment that I got from Black Cat Systems and decided to upload it onto their site just to calm the hysteria that was being stirred up in the media. I have not seen any measurable increase levels on my reading since the disaster in Japan. Though I do have to tell you it has motivated me to get my 72HR Bug Out Bag and put my food storage into order. Living on the California coast watching that tsunami has diffidently caused me to rethink what I would do in an earthquake. Get the hell to high ground first ask questions later.

Take care
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drillerusa For This Useful Post: