Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 PM
5.56 Addict

Default First time using my Mylar bags and my Food Saver.

Advertise Here

A couple weeks ago, I bought a 25 lb. bag of white granulated cane sugar and a smaller bag of brown sugar (can't remember the weight). Then I got busy and had to put them on the back burner for a while. I finally got to them tonight and wasn't sure how to separate them into smaller packages. I've read many posts on this topic and it seems most people like to just leave them in the 5 lb. packages and seal them up. I didn't want to go that route because we don't cook a lot of sweets in my house and the sugar gets used very slowly. With that in mind, I decided to separate them into 3 cup bags. This will give me more control over how much is opened at once and I can use them for bartering, if the need arises. I ended up having to cut my 1 gallon bags in half and resealing the new edges, then cutting off the short side to make a better opening to work with when sealing on the Food Saver. Boy.... that was a lot of extra work but I didn't want to wait for an order of smaller bags, so I made my own. I went the extra mile, too, and made double seals on all the new edges. It didn't seem necessary but I'm OCD on some things and keeping my preps sealed for maximum shelf life is very important to me. I reached for the 02 absorbers after I filled my first bag and had to put them out of sight after that so I didn't get the urge to use them.

** Side Note ** While I was working on this tonight, a friend of ours called. During our chat she asked what I was doing. She knows about my preps so there's no use lying to her, so I told her. She told me how she used to keep tons of extra food, TP and other stuff in the house when her kids were young. Now she's remarried, kids are grown and gone, and her husband doesn't like "Anything extra in the house, to clutter it up" and his opinion is that nothing's going to happen to necessitate the need for preps, but if it did, he'd just go to the store and buy whatever the family needed. I just laughed and commented how he'd be there with the other sheeple, fighting for what little the store had left and paying the huge mark up, too. She just sighed and agreed with me. He just happens to be a staunch Democrat, too. In his eye's, Nobama wears a halo and can do no wrong. We'll see if his opinion ever gets abruptly changed....
The Following User Says Thank You to Nvncibl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Yeh...thats right,and your point?
The Following User Says Thank You to CO-retired For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
5.56 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-retired View Post
Yeh...thats right,and your point?
ok.....

What's right? U lost me there.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Still here...

Thanked 1,439 Times in 632 Posts

I'm glad to hear it worked and that you double sealed the seams. I've heard the seams we do ourselves can fail. I haven't seen any signs of them failing on mine, but mine aren't that old. That OCD may pay off.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,801 Times in 3,393 Posts

So, you used just the sealing element of the Foodsaver or drew a vacuum on the bags too?

Nothing wrong with the former, much wrong with the latter.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 AM

whats wrong with drawing a vacum and sealing them?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,801 Times in 3,393 Posts

Mylar bags aren't designed for a vacuum. There are several threads here on just that. A couple in just the last week.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=156560
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=155773
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=151707
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=154485
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=155161
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
5.56 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
So, you used just the sealing element of the Foodsaver or drew a vacuum on the bags too?

Nothing wrong with the former, much wrong with the latter.

I only used the Foodsaver for sealing. I've read a few times, on these boards, that removing all of the air will eventually result in a solid block of sugar. I just forced most of the air out as I folded the lip over to seal it. Good enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nvncibl For This Useful Post: