Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Getting There !!!!

Thanked 1,236 Times in 690 Posts
Default 275 gallon IBC Totes ( St Louis )

Advertise Here

I Found some totes on Graiglist and got 2 of them.. I Have the Guys E-mail and he says he gets four a week if anyone needs them... $75.00 each and He delivered them... Shoot me a PM
They are food grade and contained flavoring for RUM....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lildrestl3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,328 Times in 28,565 Posts

I hope you made sure that they had held food ingredients. It's always wise to make sure of that. Sometimes those things carried chemicals, lubricants, etc.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

Thanked 1,543 Times in 653 Posts

Have considered those as well. Didn't think about food grade for some reason. A guy could still treat/filter/purify the water just like from any other source, no? One drawback is that you can't move them without some heavy equipment when they are full if you had a need to. A guy or two could manhandle a 55 gallon drum with a dolly or roll. But a big tote, not so much. If things went bad, you might wish to relocate your stored water to a more hidden location.
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Getting There !!!!

Yes they are food grade and contained flavoring for rum... I got them for the BOL... If things are bad I could'nt roll a barrel 45 miles anyway....
The Following User Says Thank You to lildrestl3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,328 Times in 28,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
Have considered those as well. Didn't think about food grade for some reason. A guy could still treat/filter/purify the water just like from any other source, no?
It depends on what was in it before. You could treat it with a charcoal filter. But that's something I wouldn't want to take a chance on. A lot of the charcoal filters only reduce the chemical contamination rather than eliminating it and many of them seem to be limited to a 6 month lifespan before the charcoal is no longer effective. It's just not worth it.

If you have some that held unknown liquids, maybe resell them and buy some that had held food grade ones?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Recent Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I hope you made sure that they had held food ingredients. It's always wise to make sure of that. Sometimes those things carried chemicals, lubricants, etc.
Back when I was preparing for Y2K I found a source for 55 gal. barrels that had held vinegar. I was told by the guy that owned the place that by federal law food containers can only be used once. Hence his stock of blue barrels up the ceiling of his condiments factory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesertDave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

I had in mind to have food grade 55 gal barrels for drink water and totes for cleaning/bathing water, so I was thinking it wasn't as important (for my case) to require the totes to be food grade. But I guess it would be better, now that I think about it.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

To clarify my initial point. Not in everyone's case, but I still think portability is something to consider. Some of us live in urban/suburban areas. If there is a real water shortage, I don't think water in totes is very secure. (I assume totes, for the most part, are just a big plastic jug with a valve on it.) I'd rather be able to relocate at least some of the water to a shed or inside the house/garage. I suppose that could be done with several small containers or 5 gal. buckets, but moving one barrel would be more convenient most situations I'd think.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Could you send me a PM with his email? I joined to contact you about his contact but I can not send PMs till I make X amount of posts.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 AM

hey I'm need of a couple of them totes . ASAP if your still able.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
To clarify my initial point. Not in everyone's case, but I still think portability is something to consider. Some of us live in urban/suburban areas. If there is a real water shortage, I don't think water in totes is very secure. (I assume totes, for the most part, are just a big plastic jug with a valve on it.) I'd rather be able to relocate at least some of the water to a shed or inside the house/garage. I suppose that could be done with several small containers or 5 gal. buckets, but moving one barrel would be more convenient most situations I'd think.
If they're the totes that I'm thinking about, they're about 3.5' or so square and about the same in height. They have a metal/aluminum frame around them to give rigidity in transport. They often have a large opening at top and a spigot on one of the sides at the bottom.

You have to buy your preps according to your preparedness plans. If you live in town and plan to go to a BOL, then obviously, you'll have a limited amount of preps, water, etc. on hand and preposition most of your stuff at your BOL.

I plan to bug in, so the large totes would work well for us. But if I have to bugout, I have smaller water containers that would go w/ us - assuming it's a longer bugout and not what I call a five minute or less bugout.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 4,934 Times in 2,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacinok View Post
If they're the totes that I'm thinking about, they're about 3.5' or so square and about the same in height. They have a metal/aluminum frame around them to give rigidity in transport. They often have a large opening at top and a spigot on one of the sides at the bottom.

You have to buy your preps according to your preparedness plans. If you live in town and plan to go to a BOL, then obviously, you'll have a limited amount of preps, water, etc. on hand and preposition most of your stuff at your BOL.

I plan to bug in, so the large totes would work well for us. But if I have to bugout, I have smaller water containers that would go w/ us - assuming it's a longer bugout and not what I call a five minute or less bugout.
And how is this relevant to someone posting a tip on an item many of us are searching for?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Afraid for my country

I've bought from this guy http://stlouis.craigslist.org/fod/3070119648.html before. honest, straight deal. .he is kinda in the hood but no issues at all with the transaction.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
I love this forum

Good price for food grade.
I have some that are not food grade for $40.
Can be cleaned out and use for fuel.
I`m located near Lubbock, Tx.
I will be listing them on CL.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Getting There !!!!

Yea I sold a cpl last month to a guy for rain barrels
Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamakee County View Post
And how is this relevant to someone posting a tip on an item many of us are searching for?
Did you even read the post I was responding to? My post was 100% relevant to Velvet Elvis' post. He assumed that the tote was a big plastic jug - I explained specifically what the tote was. He said he lived in an urban environment and thought the tote would be too big b/c it wasn't portable. I explained that you buy according to your bug out plan and AO.

Clear enough?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Hiker

For those that don't know what an IBC is, pics here:
http://containerreclaimer.com/productsprices.html

275gallons*waterdensity = 2294.9862 pounds
+empty weight around 130lbs.
For comparison:
55gallons*waterdensity = 458.99724 pounds
275 gallons = 5 * 55gallons

It will also hold about 1772 lbs of wheat.

This is more than many small trucks and trailers are rated for. This is live weight and more dangerous to carry than dead weight. Decks and floors may need reinforcing.
275 or even 55 gallons can make a big mess if you spring a leak. 275gallons in a 20x30ft basement is 3/4 inch of water.

If you don't have heavy lifting equipment, you can load an empty and pump the water from a full container into it after loading, assuming you have a pump and means to power it or use gravity from an elevated full container.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 AM

Hi, I've been looking for a 275 tote and live in Florissant, mo. Could I have that guys # so I can see if he still gets them. Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 02:27 PM

I am in St. Louis, do you still have a source for these totes?
Thanks,
Bret
Closed Thread