Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Wolf in a dog's world

Thanked 2,618 Times in 904 Posts
Post Jimenez Arms 9mm

Advertise Here

About a year and half ago, when I turned 21 and the only firearms I knew anything about was the M4/M16 family, I decided I wanted a handgun. I went into the first pawnshop I saw and bought The Jimenez Arms 9mm for $200. Remember I knew nothing about handguns. Nonetheless I got my concealled carry permit with it. It was a great firearm as far as I knew. Until I met the internet forums. Everything and everybody bashed this little gun, from its reliabilty to craftsmanship.

So as a previous owner of one. I AM HERE TO DEFEND IT!(sort of). Before you comment, dont compare it to you 1911s, Glocks, Springfields, or any other high end firearm. Its 400 dollars cheaper than any of them. I found the gun for its price to be decently reliable. I put about 400 rounds through it before I sold it and probably had 10 jams, ftf, etc. etc. Even for me it at 20 yards it was accurate. It had a fixed barrel and heavy as hell(30oz) but personally i actually like the gun. I felt so bad about having it, I tried to sell it a gun store and they wouldnt take it.

Heres what im talking about if you dont know.
http://jimenezarmsinc.com/janine.htm

Peer pressure led me to decide to get a different gun. I researched and got my springfield XDM 9mm. Thinking about it my xdm has feed ramp polished so well it looks like a mirror. I wonder how relaible the Jimenez would have been if I just bought a polishing cloth? I don't think i should have gotten rid of it. I think I want another one now!

Last edited by Antwan23; 03-06-2011 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: posted a link
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Antwan23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,637 Times in 2,471 Posts

Nothing wrong with the cheap firearms, Ive got a few myself…
The Following User Says Thank You to matt18920 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM

I have a Jimenez 9m, and i was in the same boat as you. Review after review scared me away from shooting it. But after 500+ rounds and no problems, i could care less. I wouldn't carry it but, Jimenez has a lifetime warranty on there products and you cant beat that! :P
The Following User Says Thank You to bswilliams For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 AM

I'd pay $200 for one.

IMHO cheap guns make good trainers. If you only train with a gun that only has one failure per case you have to spend a lot of money to gain experience clearing a jam. Sure you can load dummy rounds randomly in the mag, but you know you're going to have a failure, and will be mentally prepared. I'm not being sarcastic or knocking cheep guns.
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,157 Times in 801 Posts

Its still jimminez arms, amigo p o s ! ! ! ! ! !
Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,847 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I won't compare it to anything. Just mention that it's made by the same company that over the years has been Lorcin, Bryco, Jennings, Raven, etc.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,277 Times in 4,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I won't compare it to anything. Just mention that it's made by the same company that over the years has been Lorcin, Bryco, Jennings, Raven, etc.
I sold quite a few Raven .22 & .25 autos in the years I worked for Oshman's Sporting goods. Never had a complaint from the customers who bought them.

For what it was it was a pretty nice little self-defense pistol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lone Star For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Prepared

I've got the JA .380, very similar to that 9mm.

I actually like it a lot, for its purpose. Very small, very cheap, but works well enough.

The only thing I would really like would be an external hammer.

(Oh, and to change the fact that if you're not careful, the springs will send tiny parts flying across the room when you disassemble it for cleaning.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ocalhoun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,155 Times in 490 Posts

Looks like there wasnt anything wrong with that gun. The big thing to remember is to stick what your familar with and stay with it dont worry what others say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgoodman44 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
I sold quite a few Raven .22 & .25 autos in the years I worked for Oshman's Sporting goods. Never had a complaint from the customers who bought them.

For what it was it was a pretty nice little self-defense pistol.
Back when I was young and didn't know much better, I bought a Raven .25. It keyholed every brand of ammo I tried. Over the years I've heard that complaint about a number of them. I guess that doesn't much matter at the close ranges they were designed to be used at.

But the design is also prone to bent firing pins, which can be a problem if your life depends on it. It seemed to be worse with the Jennings .380s. Either that or there were just more of them on the market back then. We had a steady stream of them come through the shop for repair. The firing pin is also the ejector in that design. Being soft metal, it was easy to just bend it back into place, but it would soon fail again, especially after a few dry fires which are required to disassemble the gun for cleaning.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,522 Posts

Quote:
especially after a few dry fires which are required to disassemble the gun for cleaning.
Pull the slide halfway back and pull the trigger. Releases the striker without a dry fire. I thought everyone knew that.

rich
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Quote:
So as a previous owner of one
Never owned a Jimenez, but I have owned several Ravens, Jennings, Bryco's, Phoenix Arms' etc and never had a problem with any.

If it works for you, screw whatever the "experts" have to say. Remember the 95% rule.

Pleasure to meet you, Antwan!

rich
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
Pull the slide halfway back and pull the trigger. Releases the striker without a dry fire. I thought everyone knew that.

rich
Apparently not. We got a lot of them through the shop for bent firing pins. Less soft metal would have solved the problem. Hopefully they've wised up and improved the metal. I haven't handled one in years so I don't know.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

That's something I have to agree with, Mike. The aftermarket sale of firing pins was a bustling one. You can get good old steel ones these days, however.

rich
Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Get Lost! May I?

I picked up a Jimenez Arms JA380 at a gun show a couple of weekends ago. This thing is sweet. Accurate at about 25 yards, haven't had a chance to shoot it at any other distances yet.

Most of the people who bash it blindly follow the herd. " A friend of my cousin's, neighbor's, uncle's, roommate almost lost both his hands when it blew up!"

Through all of the research I have done on these guns, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple that came from the manufacturer a little risky and had accidents, but the majority of issues are likely from people who don't respect it.

There are also the cases of the "cocked" indicator going launching out of the back of the slide on some. Too much oil will make the glue/epoxy/whatever adhesive wear away and the indicator will separate from the firing pin.

Out of my first 100 rounds, I had 1 - one - FTE.

But, mine was made at the Las Vegas plant. Where they currently produce them. Came pre- fluffed and buffed. Easy to use, easy to maintain, fun and reliable to shoot.

People who say they change their name because they "get sued" all the time are mistaken. I've only found 1 lawsuit that was directed at Jennings. It bankrupted the company which was then bought out by Paul Jimenez.

The company has a long history and Jennings lost the business due to a minor shooting another minor while playing with it.

Also, these guns are a strikerfire type. This means that if you leave one in the pipe with it cocked, a bump or a slam can set it off. Keep it cocked and off safe without one in the pipe and it will be really easy to chamber a round to rock 'n roll.

-Edited to add-
Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post

rich
I don't own the JA Nine yet (not sure if I will), but this doesn't work on the JA380. There is a notch in the slide that disconnects the trigger if the slide is pulled back at all.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM

It sogg enough to keep home safe.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 12,724 Times in 4,585 Posts

Sorry, in that price range I'll buy a used S&W model 10 and know that it will work.

400 rounds? If you shot it in a day it might mean something.

But what do I know....
Old 01-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,314 Times in 3,901 Posts

sorry ... checked the price tag on my azz and I'm worth more than $200 ... a handgun is for defense .... if it isn't 100% reliable ... it's worth zippo
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,851 Times in 1,538 Posts

It is what it is, but when someone needs a firearm, I'd rather they were armed with a $200 pistol that works, than have $200 in the bank and saving for a better one.
Not saying that it'd be my first choice, but if it does what's needed, when needed, that's all that really matters.
But I think that's where the hesitation comes in, too. Will it?
I feel better with proven reliability, no matter what the brand.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,074 Posts

I would prefer Hipoint vs Jimenez, I love my Hipoints as much as any of my other firearms. If the firing pin breaks, it is just a phone call and a new one is in the mail free of charge, but I have never had a bent or broken firing pin yet.