Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Hand Pump for a 230 Ft. Well? RichardinColorado Food and water 32 12-23-2015 03:08 PM
Well with a hand pump AND electric pump marysia Food and water 12 12-25-2014 12:28 PM
Hand Pump for Water Pump HenrySlick Food and water 5 09-13-2014 09:03 PM
Hand Pump ??????? surfcast Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 08-04-2014 05:40 AM
EZ Well Hand Pump.. ImbriD Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 04-24-2013 07:02 AM
Well w/ hand pump Jthompson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 11-19-2012 06:43 PM
DIY PVC hand pump Numbers88 DIY - Do It Yourself 5 08-29-2012 01:12 PM
Hand Pump Harv Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-24-2011 02:55 PM
Deep well hand pump in the house? jonathan101514119 DIY - Do It Yourself 10 07-04-2011 10:47 AM

Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Rabbit Junky

Default Hand Pump Inside the House

Advertise Here

Hey, all. Wanted to get this thing hooked up to see if it would work like the guys at Bison Pumps said it would.

I live in the country and have a well, fairly shallow, with a submerged pump that supplies my pressure tank system. Anyways, I picked up a Bison shallow well pump and hooked it up to the feed inside the house that comes from the well. I just cut into the 1" plastic pipe in the house and ran a tee off it to supply the hand pump. I've got two ball valves on it so that EITHER the hand pump is on OR the electric system.

Anyways, it works like a charm. When the power goes off (it does a lot here in Nova Scotia), I just close the ball valve to the pressure tank and open the one to the hand pump...presto, fresh well water and lots per pump. Man, this is a great pump!!! Oh, in case you're wondering, the hand pump just pumps water right through the submersed pump with no issues to the pump at all.

This is a great way to QUIETLY have a supply of water in a SHTF scenario without having to expose myself at an exterior pump.

Anyways, here's a pic. It's a crappy pic but to the right of the pump is the inlet pipe with the tee and the feed to the pump out the vertical part of the tee. Following the tee on both lines are the ball valves to isolate each system. Pretty easy setup woth flexible plastic pipe between the fittings.

Oh, and get this....with this pump, I can run a heavy duty hose from the outlet of the hand pump to the faucet on the pressure system and actually pressurize my system by hand! Dang.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Fly it Northward

Nice!

How deep is your well?
The Following User Says Thank You to northernguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Rabbit Junky

The well is about 100 feet deep but the top of the water table in my area is only 12 feet below the surface of my front yard. The pump pulls the water about 40 feet horizontally as well.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Anarchist/Animist Primate

Thanked 10,599 Times in 3,729 Posts

We have a Bison pump. They are excellent!
The Following User Says Thank You to Horned One For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Road Trip!!!

Could you perhaps make a diagram showing how it is hooked up.
Thanks
BIH
Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Rabbit Junky

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words so here's 3000 words.

Of note, the oreder of my fittings from the inlet hose (1" plastic) is as follows:

adapter 1" plastic to 1" threaded male; 1" galvanized tee; 1" plastic nipple (you should never directly attach galvanized to brass fittings); 1" brass ball valve (a plastic one should work but I went overboard); 1" adapter male threaded to plastic pipe; then back into the existing inlet pipe.

On the tee to the hand pump I have... 1" adapter threaded male to plastic; length of plastic pipe to turn the corner; same brass ball valve with plastic pipe adapters on each end; then plastic pipe to take it to the Bison pump. Oh, out of the bottom of the Bison pump I had to attach an adapter to go from the female 1 1/4" bottom of the pump to the plastic pipe. The 1" plastic pipe seems to feed the pump very well so I'm happy as a clam.

Hope this helps.

By canukatc at 2011-03-03

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to canukatc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Shuriken snowflake

Thanked 18,414 Times in 7,732 Posts

I've also been thinking about pumps (Have a thread here too) but right now I managed to confuse myself more than clearing things up. I think there is something about applied laws of physics that doesn't add up in my brain.

I think I need "Pumps for dummies".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to speedofl33t For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 04:55 PM
human

Thanked 4,298 Times in 2,063 Posts

Some of that looks like lead or galvanized pipe?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Target Shooter

I love your setup! That is one option I have been trying to figure out. But it doesn't look like it will work for me. My static level is about 50'.

And I have figured out that no matter what I do, a backup system for the well isn't going to be cheap.

My first thought is to have a backup pump that is solar capable. But I don't have the solar system yet either. So the manual option would be faster (could afford it sooner) and I love the idea of being able to pressurize the system and use it. Willing to bet the girls would take shorter showers if they had to get the other to pump for them. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Tigers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Rabbit Junky

Speed, it's easier than you think. Just a matter of tapping off the existing inlet pipe for your pump. The ball valves let you isolate each system, the electric or the hand pump system. Too easy.

6556, Yep, some of my system near the pressure tank is galvanized. About a foot in total. All the rest in the house is copper. I'm not too concerned with the small amount of galvanized...I grew up with galvanized pipe and it didn't affect me....much. I've ensured that in my additions galvanized fittings are not attached to the brass ball valves. There are plastic fittings or plastic pipe between them.

Tigers, Bison makes a pump that's good for longer pulls, that is more than 25' vertical, I think. My pump was around 800 bucks and I don't think the deep well version is that much more. From my perspective, with the electricity so fragile here in rural Nova Scotia, and the real potential for a SHTF thang coming down the pike, I've no regrets having doled out the cash for the 100% water solution for my house. It lets me get on with the other priorities with no worries about water storage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canukatc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 PM

You have given me a great option for the old well in my back yard.Especially during hurricane season for a back up water source when the power is lost.
During Ike we lost power for nearly a week.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canukatc View Post
Hey, all. Wanted to get this thing hooked up to see if it would work like the guys at Bison Pumps said it would.

I live in the country and have a well, fairly shallow, with a submerged pump that supplies my pressure tank system. Anyways, I picked up a Bison shallow well pump and hooked it up to the feed inside the house that comes from the well. I just cut into the 1" plastic pipe in the house and ran a tee off it to supply the hand pump. I've got two ball valves on it so that EITHER the hand pump is on OR the electric system.

Anyways, it works like a charm. When the power goes off (it does a lot here in Nova Scotia), I just close the ball valve to the pressure tank and open the one to the hand pump...presto, fresh well water and lots per pump. Man, this is a great pump!!! Oh, in case you're wondering, the hand pump just pumps water right through the submersed pump with no issues to the pump at all.

This is a great way to QUIETLY have a supply of water in a SHTF scenario without having to expose myself at an exterior pump.

Anyways, here's a pic. It's a crappy pic but to the right of the pump is the inlet pipe with the tee and the feed to the pump out the vertical part of the tee. Following the tee on both lines are the ball valves to isolate each system. Pretty easy setup woth flexible plastic pipe between the fittings.

Oh, and get this....with this pump, I can run a heavy duty hose from the outlet of the hand pump to the faucet on the pressure system and actually pressurize my system by hand! Dang.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I live in Nova Scotia As well where did you pick that up at?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Rabbit Junky

The Bison guys make em right across the US border from NB in Houlton Maine. Well worth the drive From NS. Heck, you can pick up some cheap ammo on the same trip!!
Here's a link to the website. I'm sure that there are other great pumps out there but after lots of research on my own, these seemed to be the cat's meow!!

http://www.bisonpumps.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canukatc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Road Trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canukatc View Post
The Bison guys make em right across the US border from NB in Houlton Maine. Well worth the drive From NS. Heck, you can pick up some cheap ammo on the same trip!!
Here's a link to the website. I'm sure that there are other great pumps out there but after lots of research on my own, these seemed to be the cat's meow!!

http://www.bisonpumps.com/

Any estimate how much a plumber would charge to install one of these?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,838 Times in 1,924 Posts

I have my well in my basement and am looking at adding a Bison Pump also. It should be very easy and very efficient to create a standby water system.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Rabbit Junky

Big Island, you can do it yourself with a hack saw, plumber's tape and the fittings. Oh, don't forget a couple of clamps for every joint from a fitting to the plastic pipe. I grew up in a plumbing home but those lessons were loooong ago. Once I came up with the plan and had the pipe, clamps, and fittings on hand, I did the deed in about 30 minutes. I'd estimate a plumber would charge an hour for the whole thing if you had the pump already mounted in a sink.
The Following User Says Thank You to canukatc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Just so I'm clear... The way you have this pump installed allows for pumping the water direclty out of the pump only, and not into the pressure tank... Correct?

In other words, you are NOT able to recharge your pressure tank so that water can be supplied to the toilet/shower/sink/etc... fixtures in your house.

?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Trapper

How can you siphon past an electric pump, are you taking water from you holding tank?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Rabbit Junky

Good questions.

River. This pump has the ability to charge my system if I want. If you look at the galvanized pipe in front of the pressure tank, (best pic is the third in the series) there is a check valve that stops water from flowing backwards down the well once it's been pumped to the tank. When I shut off the electric pump and switch to my hand pump, I go around this check valve...so, if I hook a hose (one that can take 50 or so PSI) from the output on the hand pump and run it to the faucet at the base of the pressure tank, (pretty sure that the faucet is used to drain the system) I charge the tank with my hand pump. Now here's the thing to remember: once I open this faucet, the hand pump is now part of the pressure system. If there is lots of pressure in the tank, it will put back pressure on the hand pump. Fortunately, there is a check valve at the base of the hand pump (it came with the pump) that would prevent the pressure system from pushing water backwards to the well. In short, the hand pump is doing the same job as the in-well pump, that being the increase of pressure in the system of the house.

Necred, the submersed pump that's in my well allows the water to be drawn right through it. There are vents on the pump that allow water into the pipe if there is a draw. When the electric pump is on, it just forces water up into the pipe and then the foot valve stops it from coming out when the pump is done. Apparently most of the in-well pumps are designed this way. My brother, a very experienced plumber, corroborated the story that the Bison Pumps guys told me about this functionality of the in-well pumps.

Hope this helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canukatc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Trapper

Xlent, i need one,,im gonna email them....
thanx