Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 03-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Advertise Here

If you have a triangle front sight, you can get a magpul flip up sight for $60 if you decide to go that route. They have a front sight too if you need it but it is another $60.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 31,360 Times in 7,781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachai View Post
You get what you pay for with optics. Save up a little more and buy something decent.
The Bushnell Elite series IS decent. If you don't know what you're talking about, nor have any useful suggestions for the OP, then why even bother posting?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Propagator

I am digging the Bushnell Elite, seems to fit the bill for what I am looking for. I already have some yankee hill flip ups, but it sure would be nice to not have to strain the eyes so much for long range shots. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Trapper

I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned redfield. I just bought a 3-9x40mm for 149.99$. They are made in the leupold plant in Oregon. You can't find a bad review anywhere on one. From now on its the only scope I will buy. Its affordable, and American.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,656 Times in 3,471 Posts

I would save up. YOu have received some good advice here.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Ding... Thanks for playin

Thanked 7,363 Times in 2,070 Posts
Thumbs up Sigsauer CP1 Prismatic Scope

http://sigsauer.com/SigStore/ShowProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=104&productid=3 95

CP1 Prismatic Scope

Price: $129.95

The CP1 Prismatic Scope is a lightweight solution for fast target acquisition. This rugged and reliable scope provides assured accuracy from a 3X fixed magnification reticle, graduated to 600 meters. It features three reticle modes non-illuminated black, illuminated green and illuminated red, with each illuminated mode offering 5 brightness settings. Anodized aluminum construction ensures optimal
performance in the most extreme conditions.

FEATURES

3 reticle modes non-illuminated black, illuminated green and red.
5 brightness settings for each illuminated mode (green and red)
3X fixed magnification ranging reticle
Windage & elevation adjustments
Anti-reflex & multilayer band pass optical coating
M1913/Weaver rail mount

CP1 PRISMATIC SCOPE SPECIFICATIONS
Reticle type - Reflective prism ranging reticle
Reticle color - Illuminated red, green or non-illuminated black
Magnification - 3X
Eye Relief - 5.9 / 82mm
Exit Pupil - .4 / 10.6mm
Parallax setting - 100 yds
Optical coating - Anti-reflect & multilayer band pass
Power/Obj. lens - 1.3 / 32mm
Field of view - 6 degrees, 10.5m@100m
Adjustment range - 2 degrees
Windage/elevation - 1/4@100 yds
Mounting - M1913 / Weaver
Temp range -5 degrees F to +130 degrees F
Water resistance - 0.5m for 20 minutes
Length/diameter - 5.8 x 1.2 (146mm x 30mm)
Weight - 13.9 oz / 390g
Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,876 Times in 6,756 Posts

Uhhh. Nobody asked what caliber of AR you're shooting. I think that everybody here is assuming that your rifle is using the .223/5.56 caliber ammo. That is understandable but if you are shooting something different like 6.8 SPC or the 6.5 Grendel then local gun store employees might be able to better guide you to a scope that is more effective. Take your rifle with you when you go to the store just in case they notice something about your rifle which would require something extra. Some of these scopes that people are suggesting are really good scopes but some scopes have special ballistic cams in them that might not work that well on your particular rifle because of one reason or another. Mounting a scope is something that requires a little thought to it. Just slapping on any old scope really is not a good idea. When you talk to your gun store employee make sure that they know what they're talking about and/or that they are a rifle shooter or hunter. You don't want the pimply faced 17 year old kid who still hasn't graduated from high school trying to tell you what you need for your rifle.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InRevie...ticalScope.asp

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...23-10/Appb.htm

http://snipertraining.killerdillard....-weapon-system

The original cam systems were set up by caliber used by the shooter. A rifle shooting a .223 caliber round took a different cam than a rifle shooting .308 ammo. And this is the little stuff that an experienced rifle shooter in a store can help you figure out for your shooting needs and rifle.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner-Fisherman View Post

http://sigsauer.com/SigStore/ShowProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=104&productid=3 95

CP1 Prismatic Scope

Price: $129.95

The CP1 Prismatic Scope is a lightweight solution for fast target acquisition. This rugged and reliable scope provides assured accuracy from a 3X fixed magnification reticle, graduated to 600 meters. It features three reticle modes non-illuminated black, illuminated green and illuminated red, with each illuminated mode offering 5 brightness settings. Anodized aluminum construction ensures optimal
performance in the most extreme conditions.

FEATURES

3 reticle modes non-illuminated black, illuminated green and red.
5 brightness settings for each illuminated mode (green and red)
3X fixed magnification ranging reticle
Windage & elevation adjustments
Anti-reflex & multilayer band pass optical coating
M1913/Weaver rail mount

CP1 PRISMATIC SCOPE SPECIFICATIONS
Reticle type - Reflective prism ranging reticle
Reticle color - Illuminated red, green or non-illuminated black
Magnification - 3X
Eye Relief - 5.9 / 82mm
Exit Pupil - .4 / 10.6mm
Parallax setting - 100 yds
Optical coating - Anti-reflect & multilayer band pass
Power/Obj. lens - 1.3 / 32mm
Field of view - 6 degrees, 10.5m@100m
Adjustment range - 2 degrees
Windage/elevation - 1/4@100 yds
Mounting - M1913 / Weaver
Temp range -5 degrees F to +130 degrees F
Water resistance - 0.5m for 20 minutes
Length/diameter - 5.8 x 1.2 (146mm x 30mm)
Weight - 13.9 oz / 390g
Do you have one? Seems like a decent scope
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
huh......what?

Thanked 31,360 Times in 7,781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacMedMD View Post
Do you have one? Seems like a decent scope
yeah, I'm wondering,too. This looks cool, but seems suspiciously inexpensive for something with these features and the SIG name on it. No way this is made in Germany or the states. China ? Phillipines ? Gunner, you have any more info on these ?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,682 Posts

Kalinka Optics has some good stuff imported from Russia, can find them on the net
Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,776 Posts

When I was in Afghanistan and still making good money I bought 10 older Redfields of varying powers. I even bought some damaged cheap and had rebuilt by Iron Mikes in Tulsa. I am pretty much scope ready.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Propagator

My rifle is chambered in .223/5.56. I shoot 55 grain mostly because of its price, but sometimes will shoot 62 or 68 grain as $$ allow. I have seen alot of scopes that claim to be spec'd for the 55 grain round. Is there any real advantage to using these specialized scopes or is it just a sales tactic?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Philosoprepper

Thanked 5,404 Times in 1,724 Posts

I admit I trend against the herd on many things, optics being one of them. Why do you feel you need a scope? Are you of advancing age and your eyes are failing? I know many folks turn to optics later on in life. If not, are you planning longer shots than you are capable now? You'll need a bipod as well.

Scopes raise your maintenance requirements, require good field time to zero, and can/will rapidly lose zero depending on how you treat the platform. Illuminated will most likely require batteries as well if you're on a budget. If this is a field gun as opposed to a range gun, consider better irons with higher visibility, and hold off on the optics.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Propagator

All good points to consider Chapnelson. My eyesight is not the best, I just feel that I can be more proficient at a longer range with an optic. Another option I had considered is to find a tritium sight post that will fit my flip up front sight. That may help in target acquisition and low-light conditions.
It seems that the consensus is that $150 will not buy much in the way of quality. What then should my budget be for a quality, albeit entry level, optic that will be suitable for my needs?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Hunter

Didn't the op say smoething about 100-300 yards shots, and shooting ground hogs? Optics only make sense when varmint hunting...or any hunting actually. When you talking varmint hunting and paper punching any old scope will do, if it fails you buy an new one call it lesson learned.

I put a cheap barska "huntmaster pro" 3x12x50 on the wifes AR.

If your budget is 150 bucks go to optics planet and select 150 bucks max. Find what you think you may want and google that model for the best price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ritepath For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,628 Times in 832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Good choice but this week Dicck's (filter doesn't like it with one c) Sporting Goods has the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on sale for $100. I picked one up yesterday at the local store and am impressed with the quality. It is not a BDC reticle but there are models with that for about $50 more online. I saw one in the store but decided it wasn't worth the extra. Of course 1" mounts are necessary.

Actually I was suggeting the 2-7x35 because it was a wider FOV at close range and would be a on a gun that perhaps would be used in such a way.

I have a 3-9x40 prostaff on my savage edge .30-06 and it gets great groups of about .5" in. I feel the 3-9 fits a bolt gun a little better. It handles the recoil of the .30-06 just fine.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
www.GuerillaTactical.com

Thanked 1,208 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
If you buy a cheap scope, you will buy something better later and wind up with a cheap scope tossed in a drawer wasting your money. That is unless you dont shoot enough to notice the problems with cheap scopes.

NCStar is complete garbage made by China to get American mall ninja's weekly allowance money.

Do yourself a favor, buy quality fixed sights and learn to use them. I'm sorry if I come across as a jerk, but I'm tired of folks buying a $900 rifle and put a $99 POS scope on it.
That tells me:
1. They do not have enough experience to realize the importance of good equipment.
2. They think a cheap scope can perform as a quality optic.
3. They don't know how to use iron sights since 100 to 300 yards is not a problem with them.

The problem I see is that the AR with a POS scope really is more accurate than most shooters. America needs more Riflemen.
So true!!!! I have a drawer full of crappy optics.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco d'Anconia View Post
Good, or even decent, optics are not cheap. My standard recommendation for a budget scope is a Weaver 3-10x Grand Slam Tactical when it's on sale from Midway for $300 (which tends to be every other month). But even that is double your desired budget. I've heard some good things about Primary Arms optics for the price, but I've never used one myself.
Friend of mine has 2 of those Primary arms one on his converted Saiga12 and the other on an AR they may have been $100 a piece and I dont know much about reddots but they seem quality I wouldnt know they were knockoffs. I plan on buying in the near future for my dreaded hipoint carbine.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Ding... Thanks for playin

Thanked 7,363 Times in 2,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
yeah, I'm wondering,too. This looks cool, but seems suspiciously inexpensive for something with these features and the SIG name on it. No way this is made in Germany or the states. China ? Phillipines ? Gunner, you have any more info on these ?
I do not have one yet, but I have heard nothing but great things about it... I have a bunch of stuff coming from Sig but not until June...( )

Now is a 900 Trij? No but it will be better then most scopes of this type for double the price... So you are doing good with this as it will be as good or better then most in the 300 dollar range...

Sig would not put there name on just anything.... Would they?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,876 Times in 6,756 Posts

My rifle is chambered in .223/5.56. I shoot 55 grain mostly because of its price, but sometimes will shoot 62 or 68 grain as $$ allow. That is always good info to add when talking about scoping any rifle. It does help determine your situation a little bit better than trying to guess wrong as to which caliber a guy might opt to use.

I have seen alot of scopes that claim to be spec'd for the 55 grain round. Is there any real advantage to using these specialized scopes or is it just a sales tactic? Some scope manufacturers make scopes that are caliber specific. Some take it even further and make scopes that work better with specific grains of bullets within some calibers. For extreme long range shooting, as in long distance varmint shooting or Olympic competition rifle shooting then you would want the best that money can buy for such shooting events and that would mean a special scope that is suited to your caliber and weight of bullet. For most shooting needs, say hunting or silhouette shooting where splitting hairs is not really needed, I would go with a scope set up for my caliber of ammo or a general purpose scope. Since you are going to be shooting out to about 300 meters or so and doing general purpose shooting with a .223/5.56 caliber rifle, I would go with a 4 by 12 variable power Redfield or Burris scope. You will probably need rings and a riser platform. Now this system will probably let you have decent accuracy for things about the size of a paper plate or 8.5 by 11 inch piece of typing paper once you get everything zeroed right. Since you're planning to shoot out to about 300 meters I would consider zeroing my rifle at a distance of 150 to 200 meters for a median starting point. I think what you're considering is something akin to what the Filipino Marine Scout/Snipers are now doing. Those guys are using a Tasco 3 by 9 variable scope for their shooting needs and what they're doing works well for them. Take a look below at what I'm referring to and see if that isn't what you're sort of thinking of doing. The only difference I suggest is a 4 by 12 scope instead of the 3 by 9 variable.

http://www.snipercentral.com/mssr.htm

http://users.belgacom.net/gc378379/s...ino%20MSSR.htm

http://www.videos.es/reproductor/phi...%28UqY-HZ3YA3w

And, yes, a Tasco scope would work for your needs too.