Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,134 Times in 352 Posts
Default I wish someone made shock collars for roosters

Advertise Here

I love my roosters, really I do. But geez! Is is necessary to crow every hour since 2 am?? It might be time for a couple of them to go to freezer camp
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WrathofWoman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Totally Un-Hip

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathofWoman View Post
I love my roosters, really I do. But geez! Is is necessary to crow every hour since 2 am?? It might be time for a couple of them to go to freezer camp
Thank you. That made my morning.

Put a couple in the freezer.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,183 Times in 549 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

We had an especially bad rooster so we had to make an important decision for him last week. Rather than freezer camp, he went straight to Crockpotopolis
The Following User Says Thank You to XS29L For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmattdaddywack View Post
Thank you. That made my morning.

Put a couple in the freezer.
While I am at it, I might make gumbo out of the guineas! It's breeding season, so I just have to keep telling myself.. This too shall pass...this too shall pass.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS29L View Post
We had an especially bad rooster so we had to make an important decision for him last week. Rather than freezer camp, he went straight to Crockpotopolis
I have one banty Sebright rooster that will sneak up behind me and flog me every time I go to the coop. Drives me crazy. The one little turd that I wish the coons or stray dogs would get, is the same one that always makes it out alive. I have heard that Sebrights taste terrible, it's time I find out if it is true. The crock pot would be the perfect place to cook his sorry little carcas!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,573 Posts

three of ours made "the hit list" a couple of weeks ago...sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. We kept two that have been with us for a while, mostly because they are real good at protecting the girls.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Hunter/Farmer

Thanked 1,695 Times in 769 Posts

Here's a link to a classic chicken hatin thread.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...hlight=rooster
Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,513 Times in 1,801 Posts

Great thread..............last time a roo flogged me I had the 45 strapped on and he was a puff ball real quick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 53convert For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 AM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,318 Posts

Roosters make good chicken soup.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM
We will not go quietly

Thanked 1,034 Times in 193 Posts

Made me think of the meanest rooster we ever had. This was about 4 years ago. And he was a huge white rooster that we got as a peep with a whole bunch of peeps that were given to us. He somehow managed to survive the owl, the chopping block and everything else and then just got mean. He would attack anything that got near him, other chickens included and not just other roosters. He didn't have his own hens because none of the chickens would go near him. He was just downright mean. He once attacked our grandson and I chased him down and beat him and somehow he surrived that. I thought I had killed him at that time but no he was still too stubborn to die. I was butchering a lot of chickens to cook down for broth and we decided to butcher him too. We locked them all in the shed the night before and kept the ones we were going to butcher in and left the rest out.
When DH carried that mean rooster out to the chopping block I saw something I never have seen before in my life. There were a whole line of chickens following him. When he put him on the chopping block they all hid behind his legs and peeked around at the evil one. As soon as his head came off and he hit the ground the whole flock flew into him. Till they were done he had maybe 5 feathers left. I laughed so much and wished I had recorded the whole mess. There wasn't much to plucking him, but boy was he tough.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to besidethecreek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,111 Times in 4,292 Posts

I have a pellet gun, I call it the silencer.
from about 150' I can hit the remote control silencer and the crowing stops.
I may start with the air soft guns first, like a warning, on this next group of birds I'm getting ,just to be sure I have their undivided attention .
Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 1,766 Times in 649 Posts

This is a great thread! My wife refuses to let me get a rooster because of their crowing. A guy at church this morning was talking about loud roosters and he said you can have their vocal cord surgerically removed, but I'm sure it would be very expensive.
Personally, I would love to get a neighbor, but until I can find a quiet one I don't think my wife would let me.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,666 Times in 2,179 Posts

The title on this thread rocked my world this morning when I read it! Im glad they dont as I fear I would derive just a little too much pleasure from such a device. Maybe satisfaction is a better word than pleasure... Guess there would be a lot of quiet roosters or I would be eating a lot of chicken and dumplings. Just goes to show there is an up side to just about everything in life. I bet such an invention would sell like hot cakes!
The Following User Says Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Do you smell that?

Thanked 48,331 Times in 3,179 Posts

I have found het greatest way to deal with them. I have two roosters. One is a beautiful Rhode Island Red and the other is a Frizzle. I like Rusty the Red, but I hate the Frizzle. He was a late addition so none of the hens go to him and Rusty make damn sure he stays away.

One of their favorite places to crow from is my front porch. They get up and go at for hours, well use to. This is the greates fun, I go out the back door to the shop and get some bottle rockets and a pipe cut just for this. Then sneak around the side of the house and fire towards them. Over thier heads of course. Thats sends em fleeing in a hell of a racket. But it gets them away from porch.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Batoning Defender

You can put them in an area with no head room. A rooster won't crow if his neck is bent downward.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

the question I have is how do you keep em quiet post SHTF caus those things will attract hungry people like moths to a flame
Old 02-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,513 Times in 1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
This is a great thread! My wife refuses to let me get a rooster because of their crowing. A guy at church this morning was talking about loud roosters and he said you can have their vocal cord surgerically removed, but I'm sure it would be very expensive.
Personally, I would love to get a neighbor, but until I can find a quiet one I don't think my wife would let me.
most vets wont do it.......I know I hae asked.
its not an easy procedure like de-barking a dog
Old 02-27-2011, 11:27 PM

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53convert View Post
most vets wont do it.......I know I hae asked.
its not an easy procedure like de-barking a dog
why would you spend 200+ bucks on a 3 dollar rooster destined for the stew pot later anyway seams like a $$$$ way to eat your birds
Old 02-28-2011, 05:53 AM

Thanked 6,897 Times in 1,968 Posts

We bought our little flock last spring. My favorite bird was always Timmy. He got special attention from me from the start. Now he has turned into a rotten little roosty. He likes to play with me but with everyone else he means business. He flogs the kids and rolls our chihuahuas. They are afraid to go outside if he is on the steps.

Now he has found that rolling my customer's dogs is great fun. I have to be careful about letting them forage if I'm working. No one wants to have their freshly groomed dog rolled in the mud......by a 2 pound chicken.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,413 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

If you think roosters are bad, try peacocks! When I was a kid, some people near where I had to pass walking to school had peacocks...The FIRST time I heard those buggars scream was pretty unnerving (especially to a 7-year-old kid!) I finally got used to hearing them, but then the neighbors had HAD it, and the birds were gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post: