Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM
audentes fortuna iuvat

Thanked 1,009 Times in 383 Posts
Default Seasoning a large cast iron wash pot.

Advertise Here

I have a nice collection of cast iron pots, skillets, dutch ovens, etc. The smaller stuff is easy to season since it fits into the oven but wash pots are to big to fit in the oven so I decided to try my hand at seasoning one of my big boys. I had collected three over the years looking only for ones that had no cracks or holes and had not been repaired by welding. Plenty of sheeple use these pots for flowerpots and knock a hole in the bottom for water to drain which makes me throw up in my mouth a little LOL. Since I had several and you really only need one I picked out the one I thought would suit my needs best and decided to sell the others to convert into other preps. I initially paid $100 apiece for these when I got em back in the 90’s but was able to sell the others on Craigslist for $250 apiece. I initially tried grinding the rust off with my wire brush in the grinder but that didn’t work very well because of the texture of the cast iron. You can see in a few of the before pics where there is a shiny spot from the grinder. I also tried my 2700 psi pressure washer but that didn’t work very well either. You can see the pressure washer trails on the pot also in the pics. So I got a buddy to sandblast the one I kept to prepare it for seasoning. It still had a fine dusting of the abrasive media on it when I brought it home so my wife thought we should wipe it down with a damp cloth. As soon as she started wiping it, that sucker started rusting like you would not believe. I was amazed at how fast the rust jumped on that bare cast iron. I ran inside and got my Crisco and dove into coating the pot with it. That stopped the rust. Next time I will have it ready and in hand before wiping bare cast iron down with anything wet. Since it was to big to fit in my stove, I was hoping to bring it into work over the weekend and use the large Vulcan commercial oven but it was to tall to fit into it either. So I decided to try my propane cooker. I hoped the cast iron would heat up to the 350 degrees I needed to season the wash pot. Unfortunately with the burner under the bottom the upper sides of the pot only hit about 150. So after the bottom was done, I resorted to hanging the pot sideways over the burner and rotating it all along. I started at about 9:00am and finished about dark. This project ate up my whole Saturday. This method worked but was less than perfect. I could have built a big ring of fire around the pot but I think I will build a solar oven and see how that will work to season the pot. Then I would have the oven for when I wanted to cook with the pot also. I was using my wife’s camera to take the pictures and about halfway thru I tried to take a video. I only succeeded in changing the size of the picture. That’s why the end photos are smaller. I did take some video with my video camera though. Maybe I’ll post a clip of that sometime. My wife thought I was crazy preparing a pot that big and said we would only use it to feed an army but I told her if we had several family’s bugged in with us then it would be nice to have. Plus it will be a valuable barter item in an EOTWAWKI situation. Here are some pics of the process.

Here are the three I originally had. You can see from the picture the one I kept had much thicker walls.

The cat we adopted knows that cast iron really holds heat well LOL

Some before shots of the rusty pot.

Here it is after sandblasting.

Here it is greased up and ready to start seasoning.

The setup I used

Doing the sides after the bottom finished.

Checking the temp to make sure I’m not too hot.

Here is the finished product. I normally do my pots twice so eventually I will season it again. Hopefully the solar oven idea will work.

It’s hard to tell from the pic but the seasoning came out pretty well. It’s a lot better than it was when I started.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Thedishdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,763 Times in 4,217 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,645 Times in 6,104 Posts

Electrolysis is the way to go but how are you going to find a barrel big enough to fit that monster pot? LOL
Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,298 Posts

What an awesome treasure to find. You've definitely got the right idea.
Sand - heat - oil - heat till it smokes - wipe excess oil........and you're good to go!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM
audentes fortuna iuvat

Thanked 1,009 Times in 383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Electrolysis is the way to go but how are you going to find a barrel big enough to fit that monster pot? LOL

I'm interested to try the electrolysis. I guess I can dig a hole and line it with plastic. That will work.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Interesting info thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Reverse it. Put the electrolite in the pot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,791 Times in 2,685 Posts

nice work would love to have one of those big wash pots
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Target Shooter

got a nice pot like that from my dad he used it killing hogs. I need to season it thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
American Dreamer

Have you thought of getting them enamel coated that would take care of the rust.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Prepared

Nice work that' great I love cast iron.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZombieHunter View Post
Have you thought of getting them enamel coated that would take care of the rust.
The problem with enamel is that it chips and you get rust anyways because it is hard to season a chipped spot.

Tea pots that are enameled in side are practical beause they only have water put in them and no utensils, and no outside fire et cetera. If the pot is going to seen an use beyound a genteel kitchen enamel doesn't work well.