Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Black powder
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,161 Posts
Default CVA Electra .50 cal.

Advertise Here

Does anyone have a CVA Electra .50 cal. ?
I just ordered one from Sportsman's Guide, and was wondering if anyone here has one. I have other black powder firearms, but this looked interesting because you don't need caps or 209 primers, it fires by electric spark from a 9v battery.
CVA has a great reputation, so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot for $170.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:21 AM
Target Shooter

Did you read any reviews? That's usually one of the first things I look at before buying anything sight unseen. The ones I read regarding the Electra were pretty favorable though, let us know how it works out for ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doughboyjones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Some states do not allow you to hunt with them in muzzle-loader only hunts due to the ignition mechanism.

I just picked up a Remington 700 ML .50 for $150.

You might want to look around, nothing wrong with the electra from what I have heard, just don't like the electronic part of it. My rifles are one of the few things that I have that are EMP proof.

Martin
The Following User Says Thank You to mbowman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,161 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
I received it today via UPS, looks good.
It will be awhile before I get out to shoot it, I don't think I want to freeze my ass off to send a few rounds downrange.
I have other BP weapons, Rugar Old Army, a couple other .44 cal revolvers, a BP 12 Ga., another .50 cal mountain rifle & a .32 squirrel rifle. So I am not worried about EMP happening.
And those are backup after the cartridges run out for the other guns.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts

There is one thing that bothers me about that gun. My local Classifieds. They always have someone selling a CVA electra. It seems the majority of other muzzleloaders are 15+ year old models. But that CVA comes up pretty often. Makes me wonder.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM

I have an electra and like it. I have settled on using Blackhorn 209 with either Barnes 250MZ or TC Shockwave 250. I have found a way to use Bkh 209 reliably and with no observed problems at all, but if you try this you do so at your own risk. Bkh 209 needs burning particles from the primer to effectively ignite the powder and the spark in the electra will not do it. The solution is to use a double(stacked) charge. I use 5gr by volume of American Pioneer Powder under 80gr. by volume(56gr. weighed) of Bkh209. This works very well and gives good to excellent accuracy. This is a pleasant load to shoot and should be good out to 150yrd. for deer. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muzzle Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 AM
camps in trees

Thanked 1,515 Times in 685 Posts

I've been a big CVA fan for years and have never had a problem with one. Right now I have the CVA wolf but plan on upgrading in the future. I'm still on the wall about the electric muzzleloaders but everybody I've talked to seems to like theirs.
The Following User Says Thank You to neo71665 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 06:48 AM

Sorry to bring up and old post, but
I own two of these and have used them since 2010 and totally love them. the problems people were having with them is they are not cleaning the electrode brushes well and they foul out. I got it because a few rechargable 9v batteries and a solar charger and the thing is ready to go. I can make blackpowder and cast bullets...

FYI: It is EMP proof, the only time an EMP effects electronics is when the electronics have an active charge on them and the emp happens.... if the rifle is stored with no battery in it and the capacitor is discharged then there is no fear of emp damage.