Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Porch Captain

Default Chickens and Rabbits

Advertise Here

I'm in the process of converting an 8'x12' shed into a hen house. Today I was taking a break from setting posts for the fence and got to thinking about making the most of the space and money I have. I'm getting some rabbits also, but had planned on building hutches next to the hen house. Now I'm thinking about hanging wire cages inside the coop. Is it okay to house chickens and rabbits together, or should I keep them separate?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Anarchist/Animist Primate

Thanked 10,526 Times in 3,717 Posts

We have ours together and they're fine. In fact, the chickens will eat the bugs off the ground that gather around the bunny poop.

We actually stopped using individual cages and set up a rabbit colony with the bucks and does separated. It makes for easier cleaning, watering and feeding. Plus the rabbits have more space to move, and they are more sociable.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Horned One For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 08:20 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 1,715 Times in 635 Posts

I would build the rabbit hutch on the outside. The reason being is once you get chickens, more than likely, you'll want some more. If the rabbits are sharing the house with the chickens, that would limit the number of chickens you can have. IMHO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,017 Posts

They work very well together. Not only will the chickens eat the bugs, they'll also eat the feed that drops from the rabbit pens and any feed that is undigested in the poop.

You just have to mount the rabbit cages so that the chickens can't get on top of them and poop on the rabbits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tyusclan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,233 Times in 1,573 Posts

almost everyone I know who has the two are housing them together. Some are mounting the rabbits in the penned area, some with the space are mounting the rabbits inside. I think the two are a perfect fit for the small animal type of homestead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herbalpagan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 1,715 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalpagan View Post
almost everyone I know who has the two are housing them together. Some are mounting the rabbits in the penned area, some with the space are mounting the rabbits inside. I think the two are a perfect fit for the small animal type of homestead.
I think it would get too hot for the rabbits being in an enclosed coop. They are more likely to die from the heat rather than the cold. Our rabbit hutch is near our chicken coop and it works out good for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Hunter

I know my chickens love eating rabbit poop. When I take stuff down to the compost heap, the chickens dont leave until they are filled. Talk about recycling.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicktide For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Anarchist/Animist Primate

Thanked 10,526 Times in 3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
I think it would get too hot for the rabbits being in an enclosed coop. They are more likely to die from the heat rather than the cold. Our rabbit hutch is near our chicken coop and it works out good for us.
It's definitely important to have good ventilation in the summer for the rabbits.

In addition to the ventilation, our rabbit/chicken barn has a sod roof which keeps things fairly cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horned One For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,537 Times in 4,846 Posts

This Thread is awesome! I want to do it too now!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Porch Captain

Thanks for the replies. For now at least, I'm going to hang the rabbit cages inside the coop. Should have everything built by this weekend, and I'm getting excited! Now I just have to decide on which breeds to get.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Me before coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotPoke View Post
Should have everything built by this weekend...
Post some pics if you would please.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 4,680 Times in 1,660 Posts
Default ok -so - predators?

been thinking about adding rabbits/chickens...but we have a strong poplation of red and gray foxes out here along with the barred owls and hawks they tend to keep the wild bunnies and squirrels alert...then we have coyotes to keep the foxes on their toes and at least 3 bobcats...we have trail critter cams so we know our local furry neighbors well.

I have an old aluminum shed I was thinking of modifying..big enough for bunnies, but would only make a shelter house for the birds to come in at night...

I don't want to build my stock only to come in one morning and find things torn up by a determined fox.

experiences?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Dog Gone It.

Default Chickens can spread coccidiosis to rabbits

I would be very cautious about housing chickens and rabbits in the same area because chickens can carry coccidiosis and spread it to the rabbits. While coccidiosis doesn't usually kill the chickens it will kill the rabbits. My sister raised her meat rabbits in the same building with her chickens. Everything was fine for about a year and then the majority of her rabbits starting dying. She had the vet out and he told her they had gotten coccidiosis from the chickens. The vet said never to house chickens and rabbits in close proximity to each other.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kayso For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,017 Posts

When we had our commercial rabbitry we would add a pint of apple cider vinegar to the automatic waterer tank once a week to help prevent coccidiosis.

I don't remember exactly where I learned that, and I haven't been able to find anything scientific about it one way or another, but we never lost one to coccidiosis.
The Following User Says Thank You to tyusclan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Rabbit Junky

Seems to me that this is an AWESOME idea for the winter months. The chickens and the rabbits can share their heat and it's one cleanout vice two. I've got the hutches for the bunnies in the "natural food" months and they love being outside. Great thread idea, PatriotPoke. You've inspired me to do a little more building in the coop.
The Following User Says Thank You to canukatc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Porch Captain

Well, the hen/rabbit house has a few new residents. Found a farm not too far away and bought 2 New Zealand Whites and 3 Araucana pullets. Wanted to get more chickens, but that was all they had. Looking to add some Buff Orphingtons and Barred Rocks soon. The Araucanas (my neighbor gave me a hen, also) are mainly for the niece and nephews--they wanted "the chickens that lay easter eggs". It's just a small start, but I'm pretty excited. I'll be building more rabbit cages this week, and tomorrow fence starts going up for some goats! Here are a few pics--not the greatest, but I'll have better ones soon. Now I just have to figure out how to post them...
Attached Thumbnails
coop1.jpg   coop2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,022 Times in 598 Posts
Default Just an idea

for rabbits, years ago when I was a kid I see a guys operation where he had trays under the hutches to catch the poop an raised worms in it. This breaks down the poop better an makes it more usable plus the worms can be sold for bait or used by you to catch fish.
The Following User Says Thank You to airdrop For This Useful Post: