Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 02-19-2011, 10:16 AM
nothing

Default Norinco SKS

Advertise Here

I stopped at a gun shop on the way home form a road trip this week once back in VT and found a nice Norinco SKS (synthetic with folding stock). Now I don't really know much about an SKS. I have a mini 30 and an WASR AK but am always looking for more assault rifles for when the zombies come. Can anyone tell me anyhting about these sks's? From the research I've done so far it seems Norinco makes one of the best is that true? It is in excellent condition and comes with a 30 round mag for $350, worth it or no? Also how accurate are these things?

This is not the actual gun but looks just like it minus the bayonet.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Bite 'em back.

I had a Norinco SKS, until I sold it (because I was thinning the herd).

It was a great little carbine, and never had a single problem. Had a chrome lined barrel, too.

I like them totally stock, but its just a style preference. I've heard that the extended mags can jam, but have zero experience with them.

If you already have a WASR and Mini-30, I say go for it!
The Following User Says Thank You to lowercase For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,384 Times in 32,603 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

No SKS is going to be a target gun, but for their intended purpose, they're plenty accurate enough.

I'd consider ditching the 30 round mag though. Aftermarket mags are notoriously unreliable in SKSes. Even if it works fine in the beginning, they don't last long generally. Tapco makes the only aftermarket mag that has shown itself to be reliable and long lasting. Maybe get a few Tapcos for serious purposes and keep the 30 rounder (if it works) as a range mag. Or just go back to the 10 round fixed mag and load it with strippers. With a little practice you can get fast at it. The benefit is that you don't have a fortune tied up in mags, and you can carry a lot more ammo on strippers than you can in mags anyway because they're so light and small.

You did get a good deal by today's prices. That's about what the standard wood stocked models are selling for. The folding stock alone would have been $60 or so.

The Norincos were generally very good. But the good thing about SKSes is that if they function well, they will pretty much continue to do so for a very very long time. They're a rugged and reliable gun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,753 Posts

I would learn how to take apart the rifle before buying. Check out some indicators on wear. Like the lower bolt. Check the chamber and gas piston for corrosion. Bring a cleaning rod and check for bore wear and crown damage.

A used gun is a gamble.

I'd convert the gun back to stock configuration. You could Get about $75 for the stock and magazine. I have several SKS rifles. I prefer them in stock form. I live in NY, so I can;t bubba them up anyways. I doubt I would though. Go on SKS boards, you can find a magazine for $20 and a factory stock for another $20.

I hear there are some problems with those stocks. The stock doesn't stayed locked in the unfolded position and durability issues too. IF replacing it, make sure you buy the right kind of chinese stock. There's threaded and pinned barrel stocks. They don't mix too well.

If it's a type 26, I'd jump all over it. It's the only non yugo 59/66A1 SKS I still own. It's my first SKS and possibly my best shooting one. Stock magazine, factory stock, scout mounts scope mount, 4x Leupold M6 scout scope. Some days I can push towards 1 MOA with handloads. Roughly 2 MOA with good import ammo. Extremely reliable. ONly had problems with it when I tried to put a reduced strength firing pin spring in it. Converted it back to the factory spring and just clean up the sear face instead.

I personally think you're mixing up the herd too much. Pick one or two types of 7.62x39 rifles. Remember, you only got two hands. It's best to have a well setup rifle. Know it inside and out. It's OK to own others, but focus on the main one before venturing into buying others. I have a good rule. Don't buy a new gun until all your guns are working good. Found good loads, sights are dialed in, any problems are solved. IF you have a gun that needs more work, your not going to get it done by getting another one. I know too many folks who have unfinish projects, unfired guns, guns that don't shoot straight because they need range work. Get the fleet in shape before buying another.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Boolit Master

Thanked 1,010 Times in 555 Posts

Dropped by the GS here in NC yesterday and was checking out some of the rifles on the rack. JR had what either appeared to be a never fired or fired a very few times Norinco for $225. Rifle appeared to be in factory new condition all matching # Factory code was the rectangle with four digit #.

Wish I would have had some money to put down on it,like I need another rifle.
The Following User Says Thank You to res45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 AM
nothing

Thanks for all the info and input guys I appreciate it!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM

hate me now but if its not a stock SKS you will have a bad time at the wronge time. Dump the mini and get another ak .Same spare parts and mags plus the mini 30 likes the us ammo and the steel case stuff will bite you in the butt when you need the gun most. $.02
The Following User Says Thank You to strikerc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Boolit Master

Thanked 1,010 Times in 555 Posts

Since you already 922 compliant with the stock,hand guard and mag being replaces and wanted to stay that way but have a more reliable mag the Tapco 20 would be the way to go. I have several set up for SHTF purposes and they work flawlessly.
The Following User Says Thank You to res45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 AM
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikerc View Post
hate me now but if its not a stock SKS you will have a bad time at the wronge time. Dump the mini and get another ak .Same spare parts and mags plus the mini 30 likes the us ammo and the steel case stuff will bite you in the butt when you need the gun most. $.02
Never. I will never dump the mini-30. It's a new 580 series and has been flawless for thousands of rounds. I love ak's to but I shoot them both quite often and the Mini-30 out performs the AK in just about every way. There both extremely reliable and the mini is more accurate, at least for me.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,753 Posts

Get a mini-30 for every capable person in the house. After that, then get a SKS or two.

What I do like about the SKS is spare part prices. I virtually have every part minus a reciever for the SKS for under $200 at SARCO inc. For that price, I have triplicates of some parts like small springs and firing pins. Ruger ain't going to be that friendly to you.

Take a look at getting some parts. Atleast a spare firing pin, a few srpings, and some parts that could be lost easily. Like mounting bolts or retaining pins. For about $100-150, you can be well set in spare parts. Check out midway usa, they have a good selection for most guns. Their prices are a bit on the steep side, but you can probably get everything in one place.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,100 Posts

$350 is way too much for that SKS, at least in my region (Ohio). I'd consider that for sub $200 (180ish) and put it back into its original wood.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 AM
nothing

^ yea I'm kind of thinking the same. I do want something with a foldable stock though for tight spaces I think I may just get that Yugo m70 under folder I've been wanting.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,498 Posts

That's too much money for an SKS. I'd pick up another AK before I bought that SKS.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM

I think Norinco being the best is a matter of opinion, and from what I gathered on many of the SKS boards that they are just like anything else the Chinese make...cheap and unreliable. I'm no expert and only last week bought my first SKS (Yugoslavian), but have shot a few other Yugo's with no issues.

The SKS model has been around for 50 plus years, so it's a proven, dependable rifle. Accuracy varies to a degree, but I've had no problem putting together nice groupings at 50 yards with the iron sights. Have fun with it!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTguy View Post
^ yea I'm kind of thinking the same. I do want something with a foldable stock though for tight spaces I think I may just get that Yugo m70 under folder I've been wanting.

Or get a bulpup stock for it. S&G Works makes a nice one, but they are backordered 6+ months right now! So rather than making my own might just get a Century International AK bulpup!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Prepper for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
I think Norinco being the best is a matter of opinion, and from what I gathered on many of the SKS boards that they are just like anything else the Chinese make...cheap and unreliable. I'm no expert and only last week bought my first SKS (Yugoslavian), but have shot a few other Yugo's with no issues.

The SKS model has been around for 50 plus years, so it's a proven, dependable rifle. Accuracy varies to a degree, but I've had no problem putting together nice groupings at 50 yards with the iron sights. Have fun with it!
Ill put my nasty super pitted norinco against your yugo any day of the week

Most of the Chinese sks seem very good but the ones to look for are the /26\ models
Old 02-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,100 Posts

Chinese SKS are not unreliable (all SKS were "cheaply made" using unlimited commie labor), if anything the Yugo SKS has proved to be the "most" unreliable of the SKS family due to the gas valve and corrosion issues related to that, your assumption is wrong.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks for correcting me panoz, I guess then maybe it really is a matter of preference and what the end users intent is for the gun.

In regards to the chromed barrel, it really shouldn't be an issue regarding unreliability unless one is shooting 1000's of rounds of ammo through it in a very short period of time. My understanding is that the chroming helps to reduce the effects of wear that occur over time to the barrel due to excessive heat, which is most noted when firing lots of rounds through it. This eventually leads more to a loss of accuracy, but this effect can be minimized by allowing the barrel to cool between magazine reloads.

Likewise, a thorough cleaning should be done on any gun, which will minimize corrosion as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Prepared

I had a norinco sks with the same folding stock that you show in the picture. I say pass on the stock, that folder looks cool and all but it's cheap and can break. Even when its folded out the butt will move around on ya. The norinco i had had a shot out barrel in it so i can not comment on the accuracy. If you want a folder that spit 7.62x39 get an ak under folder.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Immortal

Thanked 1,521 Times in 632 Posts

SKS is a great little carbine - reliable and accurate enough for clean hunting.
What you have (functionally) is an AK without the AK name. $350 is a little high but not much IF the after market add ons function well. Sometimes after market magazines don't feed well. Test it before you rely on it.