Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Prepared

Default Need IV solution?

Advertise Here

if your in need of this and are not a doctor, http://www.atlanticmedsupply.com/sho...V+Solut%20ions not cheap, but also not easy to get
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kahuna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
if your in need of this and are not a doctor, http://www.atlanticmedsupply.com/sho...V+Solut%20ions not cheap, but also not easy to get
would people please not use IV fluids if they have no idea what they are for, what they do or have no training in their use. Worst case scenario, you kill the person your trying to help.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gunners99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners99 View Post
would people please not use IV fluids if they have no idea what they are for, what they do or have no training in their use. Worst case scenario, you kill the person your trying to help.

i guess i should of said for those that are qualified
The Following User Says Thank You to kahuna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Hiker

Quote:
i guess i should of said for those that are qualified
Those that are qualified have no problem getting the supplies.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedi Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,404 Times in 3,206 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Medic View Post
yup.....

just like antibiotics, if you don't know what you're doing you could kill someone. Instead of a vicious drug reaction you could experience infiltration, hematoma, phlebitis, extravascular drug administration, intraarterial injection or just kill them with an air embolism.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kahn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,167 Times in 2,472 Posts

Quote:
Well Not really, I have 9 years of experience as a Combat Medic in the Army National Guard - I have given 100's of IV's, tons of Antibiotics, asthma medicine, treated wounds cause by artillery shells, worked on folks with serious back injuries, shock, head injuries, lightening strikes, and have even done minor surgery and Stitches.

There is no easy place for me (That I have found) to get IV's or other meds that I would love to have if SHTF, now that I have retired from the military
Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,167 Times in 2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahn View Post
yup.....

just like antibiotics, if you don't know what you're doing you could kill someone. Instead of a vicious drug reaction you could experience infiltration, hematoma, phlebitis, extravascular drug administration, intraarterial injection or just kill them with an air embolism.
About 200 c.c. of air is required to kill a person by air embolism. I do not know how a person would accidentally inject that much through a syringe or IV.

Even well trained folks will cause a hematoma - It is a pretty minor things when discuss in terms of IV's
Old 02-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Recent Blog:

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

200 cc of air via an IV is REALLY bad news.

Problems in a average sized adult have occurred with a little as 15cc of air injected, as little as 0.5 cc of air in the left anterior descending coronary artery has been shown to lead to ventricular fibrillation .Of course the smaller the person the less air it takes to create a major issue.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Anyone know of where I can get some empty IV bags and items needed to complete my medical bag? I looking for empty, since I don't want to worry about expiration dates and weight. I want to be able to make my own solution when the time comes, and if necessary reuse it as needed. Can be lifesaving.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM

For what it's worth, during WWII coconut milk was used by medics in the Pacific in emergencies as an IV solution.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Hunter

You can buy IV solution for cattle pretty easily, but it s not a saline solution, it is for treatment of milk fever. I would give that if was an absolute last resort, but for nothing else. If somebody has to have an IV, then they are in a fragile state to begin with. Don't know what dumping magnesium and calcium in that quantity would do to someone who was going in to shock.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,149 Times in 799 Posts

WOW Youre gonna watch SHOOTER and get your salt/sugar solution and inject another peckerwood with it? I say PREP in advance, get the real deal (saline, dextrose, lactated ringers) and call it good- with the propper IV setup, also in advance; vs. a radiator hose and a turkey baster needle Really. If you are THAT good, and its what we got, I love you!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 PM

I.V. Fluids Drink water Please!! Making your own solution probaly can be done with the result of systemic infections that would kill yeah down the road anyway! In a survivalist mindset I would only use IVs in the case of Hypovolemic shock(Massive blood lose) resulting in the loss of the Radial pulse(wrist). Worry about plugging the holes and Herbal treatments for infection! So get your fluids in advance and use very sparingly and eat right and drink right!! and just to add it would take one hell of a screw up to give someone enough air though an IV to cause cardiac arrest!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DOC2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Recent Blog:

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRanger View Post
Anyone know of where I can get some empty IV bags and items needed to complete my medical bag? I looking for empty, since I don't want to worry about expiration dates and weight. I want to be able to make my own solution when the time comes, and if necessary reuse it as needed. Can be lifesaving.

Please tell me you're joking....
Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Recent Blog:

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersed View Post
Don't know what dumping magnesium and calcium in that quantity would do to someone who was going in to shock.
Cardiac arrhythmias followed by cardiac arrest.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRanger View Post
So your going to carry sterile water for injection, salt, potassium, magnesium and other electrolytes to mix in your empty IV bag ?

I don't see how this would save any weight or make anymore room in your kit.

Not to mention knowing how to mix the above solution properly so as not to cause more harm to yourself or someone unlucky enough to be hurt in your presence.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Hiker

Quote:
**** those are expensive!! You might want to try here first

http://www.mountainside-medical.com/...tion-Products/
The Following User Says Thank You to messiah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachson View Post
WOW Youre gonna watch SHOOTER and get your salt/sugar solution and inject another peckerwood with it? I say PREP in advance, get the real deal (saline, dextrose, lactated ringers) and call it good- with the propper IV setup, also in advance; vs. a radiator hose and a turkey baster needle Really. If you are THAT good, and its what we got, I love you!
sach: AGREE.

Lots of survivalist mythology here. mostly from Rambo (suturing) and Shooter (field IV).

All of it useless information.

I hope other preps weren't inspired by movies. I know I don't frequent another forum anymore because of the huge amounts of survival BS.

The above quoted post isn't too far off the mark. I would add that dextrose is used primarily for medication mixes and drips and isn't effective for treating hypovolemia and dehydration.

0.9 % sodium chloride solution aka: Normal Saline ("Normal" because it is the same sodium content as your blood) is far better at volume replacement and rehydrating people.

Lactated Ringers (or Ringers Lactate, aka Hartmann's solution) is better for hypovolemia. However, it is rich in potassium and can cause cardiac arrhythmias. Use of more than one liter in a dose requires constant cardiac monitoring and lab work on blood samples to prevent hyperkalemia.

A word of advice. Don't bother with learning anymore about these topics until you have had a basic first aid and CPR class. Be realistic. You weren't qualified to drive an 18 wheeler across the country when you were 16 years old and just testing for your first drivers license, were you ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah View Post
**** those are expensive!! You might want to try here first

http://www.mountainside-medical.com/...tion-Products/

Definitly better supplier here!!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
sach: AGREE.

Lots of survivalist mythology here. mostly from Rambo (suturing) and Shooter (field IV).

All of it useless information.

I hope other preps weren't inspired by movies. I know I don't frequent another forum anymore because of the huge amounts of survival BS.

The above quoted post isn't too far off the mark. I would add that dextrose is used primarily for medication mixes and drips and isn't effective for treating hypovolemia and dehydration.

0.9 % sodium chloride solution aka: Normal Saline ("Normal" because it is the same sodium content as your blood) is far better at volume replacement and rehydrating people.

Lactated Ringers (or Ringers Lactate, aka Hartmann's solution) is better for hypovolemia. However, it is rich in potassium and can cause cardiac arrhythmias. Use of more than one liter in a dose requires constant cardiac monitoring and lab work on blood samples to prevent hyperkalemia.

A word of advice. Don't bother with learning anymore about these topics until you have had a basic first aid and CPR class. Be realistic. You weren't qualified to drive an 18 wheeler across the country when you were 16 years old and just testing for your first drivers license, were you ?
I have used all the IV solutions you have list ,in the field as a medic , in an ambulance, if you have a cardiac pt you use D5w 500ml, I have infused 5 1000 ml bags of Ringers Lactate and have not gotten any cardiac arrymthias.
but several years as a medic you tell you what you use if you would have too.
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: