Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM
vigilance's Avatar
vigilance vigilance is offline
Insert Clever Phrase Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Someplace defendable
Posts: 526
Thanks: 379
Thanked 877 Times in 313 Posts
Default Best Overall Ammo Prices Online



Advertise Here

Hey Everybody,

My mind is turning to mush from comparing numbers, so I thought I'd give it a break and ask the experts here.

I always check out gun-deals.com for ammo deals, but I was wondering what your opinions were for what website out there has the best prices overall on ammo. Often it's better to buy from one place and pay a bit more but only get hit once for shipping rather than buying an ammo deal here and there and having to pay separate shipping.

So, where do you think has the best prices on ammo on the web, and reputable of course? I'm on the hunt for 223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, 12G 00 Buck, plus a few others, all preferably in bulk (250+ or more).

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
tdawg75's Avatar
tdawg75 tdawg75 is offline
first class white trash
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the southern of the 2 carolinas
Age: 39
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 1,315
Thanked 1,358 Times in 595 Posts
Default

i like aimsurplus.com, but youre not really gonna get a good deal on shotgun ammo there. im interested to see what gets recommended myself.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Polarisail's Avatar
Polarisail Polarisail is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Close to: 34-23'30'' N, 118-32'33'' W
Age: 56
Posts: 284
Thanks: 185
Thanked 235 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Cheaperthandirt.com is my source for ammo.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 PM
joe grizzly's Avatar
joe grizzly joe grizzly is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 122
Thanks: 72
Thanked 77 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Ammunitiontogo.com has my vote. I order from them a lot. Great prices on the ammo you've Listed.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 AM
embrachu's Avatar
embrachu embrachu is offline
Renaissance Survivalist
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Lower Michigan
Posts: 1,725
Thanks: 3,374
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,259 Posts
Default

A few good sites:

Natchez Shooters Supplies
http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?category=3

Lucky Gunner.com
http://www.luckygunner.com/#rid=10
Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 AM
stevetexas stevetexas is offline
Ranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 475
Thanks: 815
Thanked 899 Times in 267 Posts
Default

Ammoseek is a search engine that compiles prices and data about ammo from the net then lays it out for you...

http://ammoseek.com/view.now/about.html

http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=1...ds=&sortby=cpr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevetexas For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 AM
sandline sandline is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,309
Thanks: 2,642
Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,102 Posts
Default

AIM Surplus and J&G Sales are the two online sources I've used lately but I only buy online for select bulk deals on a couple of calibers, and that's not very often. Most of the bulk quantity ammo purchases I do are at the show or I reload. I used to get great deals from Sportsman's back in the day.

Wolf (Brenneke) 00 Power Buckshot online was at 75 bucks for 250 rds (+ freight) but that was years ago. From what I see most 00 shotgun ammo is over a buck a round everywhere now.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:30 AM
PrimitiveBeasty's Avatar
PrimitiveBeasty PrimitiveBeasty is offline
Possibly Human
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 98
Thanks: 120
Thanked 183 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Another vote for ammunitiontogo. Pretty good prices, good variety in stock, and they don't gouge for shipping like I've seen some places do.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 AM
tdawg75's Avatar
tdawg75 tdawg75 is offline
first class white trash
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the southern of the 2 carolinas
Age: 39
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 1,315
Thanked 1,358 Times in 595 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetexas View Post
Ammoseek is a search engine that compiles prices and data about ammo from the net then lays it out for you...

http://ammoseek.com/view.now/about.html

http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=1...ds=&sortby=cpr
holy smokes, dude!!!! i didnt even know a search engine like that existed. thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to tdawg75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 AM
vigilance's Avatar
vigilance vigilance is offline
Insert Clever Phrase Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Someplace defendable
Posts: 526
Thanks: 379
Thanked 877 Times in 313 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg75 View Post
holy smokes, dude!!!! i didnt even know a search engine like that existed. thanks!
Neither did I. Big thanks for that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to vigilance For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 AM
embrachu's Avatar
embrachu embrachu is offline
Renaissance Survivalist
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Lower Michigan
Posts: 1,725
Thanks: 3,374
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,259 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetexas View Post
Ammoseek is a search engine that compiles prices and data about ammo from the net then lays it out for you...

http://ammoseek.com/view.now/about.html

http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=1...ds=&sortby=cpr
FROM THE AMMOSEEK FAQ:
Q: Why don't you show the ammo prices along with retailers' shipping rates so seekers can get a more accurate idea of the true cost of purchasing the ammo?
A: Some sites (e.g. gun-deals.com) purport to factor shipping charges into the price of of the product, but you will notice that not all products have shipping information added in, and the ones that do aren't necessarily accurate since shipping charges vary widely depending on whether or not other items are also purchased at the same time. Plus, some retailers offer free (or very inexpensive) shipping because they already add in the cost of shipping to the price of the product. Therefore, with such varying levels of accuracy, it makes comparison shopping much less clear than if the basic price of the item is used. (And obtaining accurate shipping charges from some retailers requires obtaining a user account on the retailer's web site, adding the product to the shopping cart, etc., making the process quite complicated for a search engine). We may try to work around these inherent problems in the future, but for now leaving out the shipping costs is more accurate that including it for the reasons listed above.

Q: I see a mistake or discrepancy with the data. Why?
A: In many cases the sites we mine for data are not sophisticated and will contain inconsistencies themselves. Our software mining engine does its very best to display valid data but there are going to be cases where it will never mine the data properly. Itís the garbage in, garbage out evil. Also, there will be times where retailers modify their site code causing our software to fail at grabbing the proper information or any information at all. In any of these cases please feel free to contact us about it in case we may not already know that the problem exists.

Q: Hey, I thought you said all items listed are in stock. I clicked on an item and the retailerís web site tells me it is not in stock. What gives?
A:Sites are processed through the AmmoSeek engine approximately every 6 hours. If an item sells out in between processing times it may appear on AmmoSeek and not actually be in stock at the retailer. The retailer (obviously) takes precedence over what AmmoSeek reports. If that same item still shows up in the AmmoSeek results after 12 hours but is still out of stock there may be a problem with the engine and it should be reported to us immediately so we can investigate and fix the discrepancy.

Q:Are you affiliated with any of these ammunition retailers in any way?
A:Yes, some. In an effort to provide the best product data available we invite retailers to participate in the AmmoSeek Certified Retailer program. These retailers provide a product data feed to the AmmoSeek search engine resulting in more accurate data. For others, we scour the retailers' websites for product data with our indexing engine. Read more details about the AmmoSeek Certified Retailer program. However, retailers do not pay us for the privilege of appearing in our search results, and we do not give special consideration to one retailer over another. Our aim is just to find the least expensive for you.

Search engines are designed to point you into a particular direction. It still is not something I would use exclusively due to the very nature of the points made above from their own FAQ page. And if the information that the search engine locates is not accurate, why not do the search yourself, since you'll have to verify the information anyhow? While it may be a start, it is not the do-all, end-all for ammunition information, and thus I prefer my own research. This is only my observation.
The Following User Says Thank You to embrachu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 AM
tdawg75's Avatar
tdawg75 tdawg75 is offline
first class white trash
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the southern of the 2 carolinas
Age: 39
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 1,315
Thanked 1,358 Times in 595 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrachu View Post
FROM THE AMMOSEEK FAQ:
Q: Why don't you show the ammo prices along with retailers' shipping rates so seekers can get a more accurate idea of the true cost of purchasing the ammo?
A: Some sites (e.g. gun-deals.com) purport to factor shipping charges into the price of of the product, but you will notice that not all products have shipping information added in, and the ones that do aren't necessarily accurate since shipping charges vary widely depending on whether or not other items are also purchased at the same time. Plus, some retailers offer free (or very inexpensive) shipping because they already add in the cost of shipping to the price of the product. Therefore, with such varying levels of accuracy, it makes comparison shopping much less clear than if the basic price of the item is used. (And obtaining accurate shipping charges from some retailers requires obtaining a user account on the retailer's web site, adding the product to the shopping cart, etc., making the process quite complicated for a search engine). We may try to work around these inherent problems in the future, but for now leaving out the shipping costs is more accurate that including it for the reasons listed above.

Q: I see a mistake or discrepancy with the data. Why?
A: In many cases the sites we mine for data are not sophisticated and will contain inconsistencies themselves. Our software mining engine does its very best to display valid data but there are going to be cases where it will never mine the data properly. Itís the garbage in, garbage out evil. Also, there will be times where retailers modify their site code causing our software to fail at grabbing the proper information or any information at all. In any of these cases please feel free to contact us about it in case we may not already know that the problem exists.

Q: Hey, I thought you said all items listed are in stock. I clicked on an item and the retailerís web site tells me it is not in stock. What gives?
A:Sites are processed through the AmmoSeek engine approximately every 6 hours. If an item sells out in between processing times it may appear on AmmoSeek and not actually be in stock at the retailer. The retailer (obviously) takes precedence over what AmmoSeek reports. If that same item still shows up in the AmmoSeek results after 12 hours but is still out of stock there may be a problem with the engine and it should be reported to us immediately so we can investigate and fix the discrepancy.

Q:Are you affiliated with any of these ammunition retailers in any way?
A:Yes, some. In an effort to provide the best product data available we invite retailers to participate in the AmmoSeek Certified Retailer program. These retailers provide a product data feed to the AmmoSeek search engine resulting in more accurate data. For others, we scour the retailers' websites for product data with our indexing engine. Read more details about the AmmoSeek Certified Retailer program. However, retailers do not pay us for the privilege of appearing in our search results, and we do not give special consideration to one retailer over another. Our aim is just to find the least expensive for you.

Search engines are designed to point you into a particular direction. It still is not something I would use exclusively due to the very nature of the points made above from their own FAQ page. And if the information that the search engine locates is not accurate, why not do the search yourself, since you'll have to verify the information anyhow? While it may be a start, it is not the do-all, end-all for ammunition information, and thus I prefer my own research. This is only my observation.
thats a good point you have. i would automatically check prices vwith shipping included. this gives me a starting point and some different choices to check. when i searched for my ammo it came up with my current ammo supplier as the #1 choice, but had many i had never heard of.choices, choices.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM
hitech_hick hitech_hick is offline
Noob-Lite
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 479
Thanks: 140
Thanked 254 Times in 155 Posts
Default

http://www.surplusammo.com/

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/Main.aspx?

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

http://www.jgsales.com/

Here are a few more for you as well...


hick
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
indie indie is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,079
Thanks: 795
Thanked 752 Times in 382 Posts
Default

there are other "comparison" ammo places like ammoseek


http://gun-deals.com
http://www.ammoengine.com

and a collection of current deals

http://www.slickguns.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Zombie Hunt Club's Avatar
Zombie Hunt Club Zombie Hunt Club is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Volunteer State
Posts: 1,993
Thanks: 164
Thanked 1,420 Times in 732 Posts
Default

http://www.ammoengine.com/

Here's what you need to know - put in the caliber of choice
Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
delta6 delta6 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Nevada.
Age: 68
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 4,284
Thanked 1,267 Times in 517 Posts
Default Where i buy mine

www.TheArmory.com This is for my rifle only..My pistol ammo comes from R.B.C.D..You have got to experience the R.B.C.D. to believe it..First post..
Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Survivalguy72 Survivalguy72 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,869
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9,096 Times in 4,524 Posts
Default

Every time I think I have it figured out a better deal pops up somewhere else.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 PM
SLICK75's Avatar
SLICK75 SLICK75 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Okaloosa County, Florida
Age: 39
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,320
Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,446 Posts
Default

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/
The cheapest Ive found so far. I havent ordered from them yet though.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 PM
SiriusJones's Avatar
SiriusJones SiriusJones is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 269
Thanks: 278
Thanked 278 Times in 127 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetexas View Post
Ammoseek is a search engine that compiles prices and data about ammo from the net then lays it out for you...

http://ammoseek.com/view.now/about.html

http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=1...ds=&sortby=cpr
This is the coolest thing on the internet, thanks!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 PM
DigitalSherpa's Avatar
DigitalSherpa DigitalSherpa is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 355
Thanks: 271
Thanked 576 Times in 177 Posts
Default

Here's another vote for Ammo Engine. They've consistently returned the best prices online for me.
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying ammo online meemo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 01-28-2011 06:32 PM
Why isn't Walmart ammo Online? Jida Firearms General Discussion 20 09-14-2010 02:30 AM
Online Ammo - New Site for Me square1 Firearms General Discussion 3 08-18-2009 04:13 PM
Purchasing ammo online bluetrain Firearms General Discussion 10 01-22-2009 09:41 AM
Ordering ammo online winters921 Firearms General Discussion 14 09-11-2008 01:06 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net