Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM
strikes to the left

Thanked 1,583 Times in 663 Posts
Default Fiskars X7 hatchet

Advertise Here

I figured I'd start a thread for those of you who are not familiar with this.

I was walking around the great Wal-Mart about a month ago and just happen to pick up this hatchet. I gave it a look over and figured it couldn't hurt for the price (around 20 bucks). So, I bring it home... and give it hell.

After using it nearly everyday since I've had it, there is only minimal complaints, the primary complaint being the sheath. And the only complaint about this is the fact that I had to fashion my own belt loops to it.

The blade is fantastic. It holds a really good edge that can be sharpened with a simple hand stone. In fact, I've used the blade in ways that are often reserved for smaller knives (I actually used it to carve a fish hook AND a small spoon ).

The handle is comfortable to hold, easy to find in the dark (not that I know ), and seems to hold the blade in place quite well, despite the hell I've put it through. I've chopped and split numerous logs (and drove stakes and busted cement blocks...) and there seems to be no signs of play between the two.

The sheath securely holds the hatchet when not in use, has a great one handed lock, and has a nifty little carry handle (which I affixed the belt loop to). It is lightweight and seems to have great balance when being swung. It is also left-hand friendly (which is a big plus).

I've owned several hatchets and this is by far the best one. If you've got the money and come across it, it is definitely worth picking up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hubb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2011, 05:35 PM

I've used the standard Fiskars axe for a number of years and don't have any complaints about it. Seems pretty solid, especially for the price.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Getting Ready

Thanks for the review, Ive heard good things about Fiskars.

T
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Default Bigger & badder

I don't have that hatchet, but here's a pic of my full sized axe that I've used hard for @ 6 years. It's good as new still. I would surely buy it again.
Attached Thumbnails
axe.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 PM
in the woods

Wife and I bought one of our sons for Christmas a Fiskars 7854 super splitting axe. I sure liked the looks of it, especially the built in wedge on the head. Can't wait to see how it works out. Good to hear how well these axes hold up.

Wife bought me an Eastwing ax, for Christmas, that fits well in the back of my Jeep lock box.

Attachment is the Fiskars 7854 with a 28" handle
Attached Thumbnails
fiskars 7854 super splitting axe.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011, 08:04 AM
(-.(-.-).-)

I have Fiskars axe/hatchet.
Mine doesn't have a number, I think it's slightly bigger than the OP one.

It is a great tool, sharp, light and very good balanced for my taste.
After some use, chopping a dead tree, someone hit the ground with it and small part of the edge bended. One minute over a sharpening stone and it was like new.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 AM
One of the Good Guys

Saw one of these in Academy the other day, felt great in my hand, wish I had bought it now.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 AM
strikes to the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelast View Post
I have Fiskars axe/hatchet.
Mine doesn't have a number, I think it's slightly bigger than the OP one.
That was probably the X11 model. It is a little bit longer and the head is bigger with the wedge. I considered one of these, but figured the smaller model would be better in the bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelast View Post
After some use, chopping a dead tree, someone hit the ground with it and small part of the edge bended. One minute over a sharpening stone and it was like new.
Yeah, I got a ding in mine too, but it was a fold over rather than a chip. It only took just a little bit of work to get it back to shape, and that was with a pocket diamond sharpener. It has a flat grind on it, so working the edge with a small stone was quite easy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what it's worth, here is a few things I did with mine this weekend (besides cutting my finger ):
- Gapped a pine tree then drove in a wooden wedge to collect pine pitch
- Used the head to strike a flint on my magnesium bar to make fire
- Used the back as a hammer to build a target stand for my little boy
- Batoned it through 4 inch diameter logs for a fire
- Cut a fuzz stick with it
- Cut down, skinned and carved out a good walking stick (everything except drill a hole for the lanyard)
- Carried it all day long yesterday without fatigue
- Used the edge as a saw because I couldn't get to a particular sapling I was trying to cut down

And, after all of this, it still had a good edge on it. Not razor sharp (does it need to be), but still sharper than any hatchet or axe I've ever used. This thing has gotten to the point that I grab it before I grab my bush knife. In fact, I don't even think I used my bush knife any yesterday (besides once or twice for striking flint), and I spent all day with both strapped to my leg. If it was smaller, I would consider making it EDC.

- Did I mention this thing has a lanyard hole? I found out, on several occasions yesterday, that a lanyard on this thing is a godsend. -
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
strikes to the left

Well, it's been almost four months since I first started this review, and I think it's now time for an update. I use this little beast on almost a daily basis. I've driven nails, chopped hardwoods, cut down saplings, etc. I even used it to dismantle an old rabbit cage.

A little while ago, I decided to give it a convex edge, and this just made the hatchet even better. It will hold the edge for longer and tear bigger chunks out of wood, not to mention this seems to make it easier to sharpen. FWIW, I was able to do this (albeit for several hours worth of work) using just a diamond pocket stone.

It still works great. It has proven to be a fantastic investment.