Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,583 Times in 1,579 Posts
Default Bushcraft knife vs Survival knife

Advertise Here

I noticed that some people think that there are all the same. Although, it is possible in some cases, and, in general, there is a very thin line that defines the difference, I would like to point out to what is clearly different between them.

Bushcraft knife

First, a bushcraft knife is one of the wood-cutting tools you take into the wilderness. The others, typically, are a saw, and possibly an axe/hatchet/machete. As a result, you end up with a knife that does what a typical knife should do such as light chopping, slicing, whittling and game and food processing.

A typical bushcraft knife has about a 4 inch full tang blade, no handguard (for ease of handling), scandi grind(for strength and simplicity of resharpening). Traditional bushcraft knives are made of high-carbon tool steel such as 1095 and O-1. However, the excellent stainless steels such as VG-10 and Sandvik 12C27 also can be used with a great result.

Case in point

Survival knife

In my opinion, a survival knife is what people are thinking when they talk about "only one knife to take into the woods". It's supposed to do all the typical wilderness survival chores. This is a very difficult task to accomplish whithout compromising on so many levels. Usually, you end up with a very big and heavy knife which may do an okay job, let's say chopping a small tree, but will be just a so-so for whittling or game processing.

In a survival knife you are getting a "Jack of all trades, master of none" but if you loose it or manage to break it, in a survival situation that could mean the end game for you.

Case in point

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Dust of the Earth

Good post. I agree with your thoughts. I don't get too hung up on the labels because bushcraft and Survival can mean different things different places. Like I don't do a lot of chopping or batoning here. Pine and aspen is easily broken to length, the climate is dry, and those dang beetles have given us more than enough dead timber. But there are certainly places where it's a necessity. Small knives are fine for my bushcraft needs. I like a bigger knife for "survival" as it might be used in place of other tools in addition to knife work.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackwolf911 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,002 Posts

A "survival" knife generally needs to be tough enough to baton for splitting, cross cutting, and felling wood, or even driving edge first into wood, without significantly damaging the edge.
But to be honest, I would rather have a small hatchet and my mora #1.
The Following User Says Thank You to justin_baker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM
strikes to the left

Thanked 1,580 Times in 663 Posts

Everyone always talks about "a" survival knife. But, honestly, I've never been in the bush with only one cutting tool. With that in mind, why is everyone so determined to find "a" survival knife? Why can't everyone find a combination of survival knifes (that will do ALL the things needed), as mentioned in earlier threads?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hubb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

ever notice that human beings have to overcomplicate everything? a knife is a knife is a knife.

so if your out in a survival situation, only having a large knife, you gonna starve or you gonna use what you got to skin, gut, butcher, make fuzz sticks, cut string, etc etc?

lets try and get real for a bit can we?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
WINNING...humbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie View Post
ever notice that human beings have to overcomplicate everything? a knife is a knife is a knife.

so if your out in a survival situation, only having a large knife, you gonna starve or you gonna use what you got to skin, gut, butcher, make fuzz sticks, cut string, etc etc?

lets try and get real for a bit can we?
I don't look at it as overcomplication. I think that with a proper planning you can have appropriate tools for different jobs. You will do what you need to do much better, safer and more efficient. That's not overcomplication, that's simplification.

Now, I like playing those theoretical "only one knife for widerness survival" games but I will always do whatever I can to avoid putting myself in such situation in real life. Why not? Because I would like to think that I am not that stupid. YMMV.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
I like playing those theoretical "only one knife for widerness survival" games.

i know i for one would hate to be in a survival type situation and only have a bushcraft type knife..............
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,050 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
i know i for one would hate to be in a survival type situation and only have a bushcraft type knife..............
Why is that???
Don't you think you could survive with a "bushcraft type" knife???
Do you think you'd die???

If so,maybe you'd improve your chances by learning how to use a knife,or learning to survive without a knife.

You really don't need a great big chopper with a 1/4 inch thick blade & sawteeth on the back to do just about anything you would need to do.

Cliff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff Nieporte For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 PM
WINNING...humbly

Quote:
Trixie, you live in Texas, don't you. Trust me, you can survive with a bushcraft knife. If Mors Kochanski can do it in Canada with a Mora Clipper, you definitely can do it in your plains. Try it, what's the wrost that could happen? If anything, just dial 911 and they will come to get you in a very short but terribly agonizing 15 minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 03:59 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Nieporte View Post
Why is that???
Don't you think you could survive with a "bushcraft type" knife???
Do you think you'd die???

If so,maybe you'd improve your chances by learning how to use a knife,or learning to survive without a knife.

You really don't need a great big chopper with a 1/4 inch thick blade & sawteeth on the back to do just about anything you would need to do.

Cliff

sigh............i was being sarcastic. a knife is a knife is a knife is a knife
Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,050 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
sigh............i was being sarcastic. a knife is a knife is a knife is a knife

NO!!! Really??? YOU were being sarcastic?

sigh........so was I.

But you're right about the knife part.
There....I said it.

Cliff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff Nieporte For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Trixie, you live in Texas, don't you. Trust me, you can survive with a bushcraft knife. If Mors Kochanski can do it in Canada with a Mora Clipper, you definitely can do it in your plains. Try it, what's the wrost that could happen? If anything, just dial 911 and they will come to get you in a very short but terribly agonizing 15 minutes.

I give your observations of the geography of Texas a monumental fail. As I kept reading, I almost expected you to also say that Obamacare would lower medical costs and be budget neutral.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM
WINNING...humbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce H View Post
I give your observations of the geography of Texas a monumental fail. As I kept reading, I almost expected you to also say that Obamacare would lower medical costs and be budget neutral.
I believe you are posting in the wrong forum. I knew that everything is bigger in Texas but I guess that includes the ego too for some people.

Just for the record, I don't give a rat's behind about the politics and economics anymore.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I believe you are posting in the wrong forum. I knew that everything is big in Texas but I guess that includes the ego too for some.

Just for the record, I don't give a rat's behind about the politics and economics anymore.
I was in the right forum. Your comment regarding Kochanski and a Mora being used in the Canadian forests being remotely similar to the landscape of Texas which ranges from canyons to desert and swamp is mildly amusing. The assumption that the same knife is the ideal candidate in both locations is...insane. And for the record, I use the Mora quite often, and like it. But it does exactly jack in the thorny underbrush of north-central Texas.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
WINNING...humbly

Quote:
I was in the right forum. Your comment regarding Kochanski and a Mora being used in the Canadian forests being remotely similar to the landscape of Texas which ranges from canyons to desert and swamp is mildly amusing. The assumption that the same knife is the ideal candidate in both locations is...insane. And for the record, I use the Mora quite often, and like it. But it does exactly jack in the thorny underbrush of north-central Texas.
The question was, can you survive with a bushcraft knife only. The answer was, "Yes". Trixie didn't really object.

What exactly are we arguing here? Are you saying that you can't survive in the Texas "wilderness" with a bushcraft knife as your only tool?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM

Certainly there cant be anything wrong with the Knife pair right? That is; a knife big enough for "Work"!!!, and a sub-knife for the scalpel driven tasks. Think a Golok Machete or similar works well for whatever the heck crazy caveman tasks, but who's to say you cant have a smaller knife in the same sheath for skinning the dinner? The size of some of these crazy "survival" knives are no different then just getting a work hog and keeping a "detailer" in the same sheath. then if something breaks you aren't solo...two is one and one is none.-Mike
Old 02-13-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The question was, can you survive with a bushcraft knife only. The answer was, "Yes". Trixie didn't really object.

What exactly are we arguing here? Are you saying that you can't survive in the Texas "wilderness" with a bushcraft knife as your only tool?

I am not arguing or saying anything. I'm stating that if 'plains' is what you think Texas is, you have a p*ss poor understanding of geography.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
WINNING...humbly

Quote:
I am not arguing or saying anything. I'm stating that if 'plains' is what you think Texas is, you have a p*ss poor understanding of geography.
Okay, I will take your word for it.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Trapper

Totally agree with you man....and exactly that's not to say either can be considered the other. A survival knife could be a bushcraft knife that's 4 inches, but what you'd really want is something at least 6....at a minimum. You also need something wth some weight to it for chopping. Although, cutlerylover on YouTube just chopped down a 3 inch tree with a spyderco endura lol. Also a survival knife does not need to be a pound and be over 10 inches. A great survival blade that is both light and short for what it can accomplish is the Fallkniven A1. The blade is around 11 ozs and is about 7 inches in length. But it's chopping capabilities far exceed what our expect. Anyone looking for a good do it all blade you can't get much better then the A1. And those who own one will attest to this.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Emann View Post
Certainly there cant be anything wrong with the Knife pair right? That is; a knife big enough for "Work"!!!, and a sub-knife for the scalpel driven tasks. Think a Golok Machete or similar works well for whatever the heck crazy caveman tasks, but who's to say you cant have a smaller knife in the same sheath for skinning the dinner? The size of some of these crazy "survival" knives are no different then just getting a work hog and keeping a "detailer" in the same sheath. then if something breaks you aren't solo...two is one and one is none.-Mike
Bark Rivers sheaths allow for marrying of two into one. Kinda fits this idea, taking a small knife for light bushcraft, scalpel type chores and a bigger heavy bushcraft/survival knife.