Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Hiker

Default Primatene Mist

Advertise Here

For those who suffer from Asthma, COPD, other breathing issues-if/when TSHF it is going to be difficult to get albuteral. The only OTC item that was even remotely effective was Primatene Mist.
So-saw a post on Survival Blog from a nurse, saying she went to buy some, and there was a label on the box that said Primatene Mist(CFC) will not be available after December 31, 2011. So, trotted over to Walgreens to check it out, and sure enough it will not be available after December 31, 2011.
If anyone out there uses an inhaler-please stock up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liberty1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 AM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
For those who suffer from Asthma, COPD, other breathing issues-if/when TSHF it is going to be difficult to get albuteral. The only OTC item that was even remotely effective was Primatene Mist.
So-saw a post on Survival Blog from a nurse, saying she went to buy some, and there was a label on the box that said Primatene Mist(CFC) will not be available after December 31, 2011. So, trotted over to Walgreens to check it out, and sure enough it will not be available after December 31, 2011.
If anyone out there uses an inhaler-please stock up.
All inhalers are going off the market. The drug makers are too lazy to research new drugs (and they still have to pay for their blonde boobacious sales bimbo staffs) so if they change the carrier for the old ones they can recapture what would be generic drugs and go back to price gouging the infirm. I mean inhalers are depleting the ozone too rapidly and killing polar bears. No really it's not about elitist greed.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,262 Posts

Do you mean that all OTC inhalers are going off market? You would need to see a Dr for a scrip and still be able to get one, is that right?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

In 08 CFC inhalers were removed from the market, the HFA ones are awful.

It's not all inhalers, it's just the OTC ones, and people are going to end up dead because of it.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Prov 3:18

Thanked 1,757 Times in 999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKraken View Post
In 08 CFC inhalers were removed from the market, the HFA ones are awful.
We swithched to nebs because they didn't work nearly as well as the old ones.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM
learn and adapt

the official reply from the Primatene people: http://www.primatene.com/doc/Primate...nt-9-30-09.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to mercenary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,258 Times in 1,634 Posts

one natural way that works for asthma is eucalyptus(do not take internally it is poisonous but as an inhalation it can calm bronchial spasms. A book on natural and homeopathic cures should be in every ones survival kit. BTW read it before the SHTF actually read it several times especially the one that you and your family might need.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Bob Mayne over on Today's Survival just interviewed a guy with a disaster medical course who mentioned using OTC Primatine Mist. However, he mentioned using it in case of anaphylactic reaction.

Here's a link to the site: http://www.todayssurvival.com/ and here's a link to listen to the podcast interview: http://media.blubrry.com/todayssurvi...episode135.mp3

I am definitely going to pick up a Primatine Mist for my kit. I wonder what the shelf life is on them?

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan
Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,258 Times in 1,634 Posts

Hers are some natural treatments

Coffee. The caffeine in regular coffee can help prevent and control asthma attacks. Researchers have found that regular coffee drinkers have one-third fewer asthma symptoms than those who don't drink the hot stuff. The reason? Caffeine has bronchodilating effects. In fact, caffeine was one of the main anti-asthmatic drugs during the nineteenth century. Don't load up on java, though -- three cups a day will provide the maximum benefit -- and don't give coffee to children with asthma.

Onions. Onions are loaded with anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have shown that these properties can reduce the constriction of the airways in an asthma attack. Raw onions are generally too irritating, but eating cooked onions may help to lessen asthma attacks.

Home Remedies From the Drawer

Cheesecloth. Put a fine cheesecloth over each room's heat outlet. This homemade dust filter can help by catching dust, animal dander, and pollen before it's recirculated into the air. Stick-on commercial filters are also available. And don't forget the number one most effective home aid -- scrupulous cleaning. It's not easy, but being a bit obsessive about keeping a clean house goes a long way toward helping to alleviate asthma symptoms.

Home Remedies From the Refrigerator

Chili peppers. Hot foods such as chili peppers open up airways. Experts believe this happens because peppers stimulate fluids in the mouth, throat, and lungs. The increase in fluids thins out the mucus formed during an asthma attack so it can be coughed up, making breathing easier. Capsaicin, the stuff that makes hot peppers hot, acts as an anti-inflammatory when eaten.

Eating hot foods like chile peppers may help you breathe easier.
2007 Publications International, Ltd.
Eating hot foods like chili peppers may help you breathe easier.

Orange juice. Vitamin C is the main antioxidant in the lining of the bronchi and bronchioles. Research discovered that people with asthma had low levels of vitamin C; eating foods that had at least 300 mg of vitamin C a day -- equivalent to about three glasses of orange juice -- cut wheezing by 30 percent. Other foods high in vitamin C include red bell pepper, papaya, broccoli, blueberries, and strawberries.

Salmon. Fatty fish such as sardines, salmon, mackerel, and tuna contain omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids seem to help the lungs react better to irritants in people who have asthma and may even help prevent asthma in people who have never had an attack. Studies have found that kids who eat fish more than once a week have one-third the risk of getting asthma, as compared to children who don't eat fish. And researchers discovered that people who took fish oil supplements, equivalent to eating 8 ounces of mackerel a day, increased their body's ability to avoid a severe asthma attack by 50 percent.

Yogurt. Vitamin B12 can alleviate the symptoms of asthma, and it seems to be even more effective in asthma sufferers who are sensitive to sulfite. Studies have found that taking 1 to 4 micrograms (mcg) works best as protection against asthma attacks. The current RDA for vitamin B12 is 2.4 mcg for adults. One cup of yogurt has 1.4 mcg of the lung-loving vitamin.

Home Remedies From the Spice Rack

Peppermint extract. This is a folk remedy for a homemade vaporizer: Put 1 quart nonchlorinated water in a stainless steel, glass, or enamel pan, and put it on the stove. Add 10 drops peppermint extract or peppermint oil, and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 1 hour, until all the water is gone. The volatile oil will saturate the room air.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM
...all out of bubble gum

Thanked 1,201 Times in 434 Posts
Default Alternative OTC for asthma.

As someone with a history of asthma, I can tell you the fastest working non-inhaled, Over the counter medication for asthma was the Primatine tablets. Once I became a nurse, I figured out that it was nothing more than ephedrine 25mg. It was about $20 for a box of about 10-20 if I remember correctly.

I also learned that other names for ephedrine were Mini-thins, White crosses, Super-thins, etc........... Yep, all those pills you see being sold at the truck stops and convenient stores.

They pulled ephedrine from the shelves for a while after a NFL player died, but they have now been re-released.

The last time I bought some, It was a 100ct bottle of 25mg tabs for about $20. Way cheaper than the primatine.

Just read the labels before buying. Look for Ephedrine, Ephedra, or Mau Huang. Essentially all the same thing. Ephedra come from the plant flower, Mau Huang comes from the stem of the same plant.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 22,912 Times in 7,889 Posts

primatine, ephedra, mau huang, all banned several years ago in OK. Sudafed you get by filling out a stack of paper work and by the end of the year it will be illeagal as well. They can convince themselves this is the way to win the war on drugs (not) but what they are really doing is taking away some of the last meds poor people can sometimes afford, people with insurance and rich people, even people on medicaid, just get the Rx, never having to decide if they will have gas$ to get to work, or food for at least one meal a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Remember The Alamo

Thanked 5,324 Times in 2,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChimneyman View Post
one natural way that works for asthma is eucalyptus(do not take internally it is poisonous but as an inhalation it can calm bronchial spasms. A book on natural and homeopathic cures should be in every ones survival kit. BTW read it before the SHTF actually read it several times especially the one that you and your family might need.
Halls cough drops work well on copd, not perfect but in a pinch they work I use them.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:48 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
primatine, ephedra, mau huang, all banned several years ago in OK. Sudafed you get by filling out a stack of paper work and by the end of the year it will be illeagal as well. They can convince themselves this is the way to win the war on drugs (not) but what they are really doing is taking away some of the last meds poor people can sometimes afford, people with insurance and rich people, even people on medicaid, just get the Rx, never having to decide if they will have gas$ to get to work, or food for at least one meal a day.
Problem is, they even changed the prescription inhalers to where if have a cold they don't work.

Beginning to wonder if the whole "Death Panel" thing wasn't total bull and this is one way to weed out those who "cost more" to health care.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Primatene Mist is racemic epinephrine. What the hell is that you ask? Well it's epinepherine. Your body won't really know the difference. That said, while Primatene_Mist does work and racemic epi does have it's place, it's got it's draw backs too. Most of the rescue inhaler's on the market today are targetted Beta agonists. That is, they target receptors that stimulate bronchial muscle dilation/relaxation. They are short acting but generally effective at relieving wheezing. While they can cause increased heart rate, muscle tremors and anxiety in some folks, the side effects are negligible in the majority of the population until you get into large doses. For the young and otherwise healthy asthmatic and even older asthmatic/ COPD patients with comorbities, the risks are negligible or are mitigated by treating the symptoms of the underlying problem. The problem with giving epi in any form is that it will definately have a more promnounced effect on the heart and blood pressure. It is a non specific Alpha AND Beta agonist and will cause more pronounced increases in Heart rate and blood pressure. It's just what the drug does. That's great if that's what you want to achieve or are young and otherwise healthy, however in the elderly with their decreased tolerances for elevated heart rates and probable heart disease it becomes more of a problem. The removal of the drug from the OTC market in't absolutely a bad thing given the average individual's general ignorance of pharmocology and blind assumptions of the safety of OTC drugs.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:51 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingmedic View Post
Primatene Mist is racemic epinephrine. What the hell is that you ask? Well it's epinepherine. Your body won't really know the difference. That said, while Primatene_Mist does work and racemic epi does have it's place, it's got it's draw backs too. Most of the rescue inhaler's on the market today are targetted Beta agonists. That is, they target receptors that stimulate bronchial muscle dilation/relaxation. They are short acting but generally effective at relieving wheezing. While they can cause increased heart rate, muscle tremors and anxiety in some folks, the side effects are negligible in the majority of the population until you get into large doses. For the young and otherwise healthy asthmatic and even older asthmatic/ COPD patients with comorbities, the risks are negligible or are mitigated by treating the symptoms of the underlying problem. The problem with giving epi in any form is that it will definately have a more promnounced effect on the heart and blood pressure. It is a non specific Alpha AND Beta agonist and will cause more pronounced increases in Heart rate and blood pressure. It's just what the drug does. That's great if that's what you want to achieve or are young and otherwise healthy, however in the elderly with their decreased tolerances for elevated heart rates and probable heart disease it becomes more of a problem. The removal of the drug from the OTC market in't absolutely a bad thing given the average individual's general ignorance of pharmocology and blind assumptions of the safety of OTC drugs.
Until you're an asthmatic in a severe attack where your regular beta inhaler isn't working, and you need the epi to get your lungs going long enough to get to a hospital.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,771 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Sida (a genus) has ephedra in is leaves and root.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:04 PM

All about Primatene Mist Aerosol. View complete and up to date Primatene Mist information - part of the Drugs.com trusted medication database

Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
Sida (a genus) has ephedra in is leaves and root.
So does Mormon Tea, the real Ephedra. Easy to grow in a pot as well from what I understand.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKraken View Post
Until you're an asthmatic in a severe attack where your regular beta inhaler isn't working, and you need the epi to get your lungs going long enough to get to a hospital.
If it's reached that point luv, no amount of primatene mist is going to help you, you won' be able to inhale it. That's why my good friend epi come's in a vial that I can draw up and inject you with. Every drug has it's place, including epi, but the potential for misuse (note I did not say abuse) is much greater and potentially more problematic with Primatene mist. Then again, Tylenol will definitely kill you if it's misused and it's still on the market so go figure.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingmedic View Post
If it's reached that point luv, no amount of primatene mist is going to help you, you won' be able to inhale it. That's why my good friend epi come's in a vial that I can draw up and inject you with. Every drug has it's place, including epi, but the potential for misuse (note I did not say abuse) is much greater and potentially more problematic with Primatene mist. Then again, Tylenol will definitely kill you if it's misused and it's still on the market so go figure.
Actually I have been at that point, and the Primatene works. Sometimes the beta does not work, and the Primatene mist does.

And I have epi pens as well for allergies and asthma.

You're not the only medic on the boards.