Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 AM

Default Do ramen noodles expire?

Advertise Here

I'm stocking up on long-lasting food items and, being a broke college student, ramen noodles are naturally on the list.

I already have a few packs of ramen and I can't find an expiration date anywhere on the packaging (just a few ambiguous sets of number and letters).

Do they expire? How long would you hold onto a pack before throwing it out?

I searched the internet and opinions vary. Since they're packed with preservatives they apparently last a real long time but my questions is "how long?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Il_Baffo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Set Free

Yes they expire first off you install the ramen into your mouth then in anywhere from 20 minutes to a day they will expire out the other end in most cases. Some may require more time but not likely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nimmer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Prepared

i think they would survive for eternity.
being a former college student myself, they were a staple of my diet.
ramen and beer
i've found packs that i had had for years. no matter how old they are, their still the same old crap and taste like it to...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Small Burrowing Creature

Thanked 1,673 Times in 916 Posts

I would just rotate my preps and not worry about it.

If you don't want to eat enough that they rotate, buy rice instead. I would not make the bulk of my stocks ramen. But its a good change of pace. And its cheap.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,985 Times in 767 Posts

There have been quite a few threads I think on this topic, but, here is a link for a fairly recent one which I think answers your question (hint: the answer is yes, ramen does 'expire' because the noodles are fried in fat which can go rancid and I believe the 'spice' package also includes some fragile ingredients). You might want to read through it though .. I remembered the thread but haven't time right now to reread it myself.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ighlight=ramen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teslin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,864 Times in 1,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Baffo View Post
I'm stocking up on long-lasting food items and, being a broke college student, ramen noodles are naturally on the list.

I already have a few packs of ramen and I can't find an expiration date anywhere on the packaging (just a few ambiguous sets of number and letters).
Does on mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Victor Grey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Prepared

Default do Ramen noodles expire

Yes, emphatically yes. I had a large amount, of them, for a couple of years, they were so rancid I could not eat them. Not a good item to store for a long time. I do not know how they do if they are vacumm sealed with an oxygen absorber, tho.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 AM

Yes, they does expire, about five or six months after, unless it contain antiseptic.
Fat or oil that used to frying noodle will slowly rancid, and spice absorb moisture so made it blocky.
Expired ramen stink bad, also taste too.
IMO ramen are not a good survival or storage food. They need boiling water, and its high salt content made you thirsty. Shelf life also not so great.
Choose more healthy food!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:

I searched the internet and opinions vary. Since they're packed with preservatives they apparently last a real long time but my questions is "how long?"
Store them well..Keep away from heat ect..........Also companies like Ramen appreciate customers give them a call and ask further questions tell them your a good customer and maybe they will send you a coupon...Every nickle counts especially as a student......

The Following User Says Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,425 Times in 30,573 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

The noodles will go rancid after a while. In my warmer climate, I have a hard time past about a year. The little salt lick pouch lasts ok, but absorbs moisture and becomes gummy.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,641 Times in 4,586 Posts

I am responding to your tag where it says you are stock piling Ramen Noodles.

Do not do this. Machine processed, all carbs, and the spice packets are mostly sodium.

Seriously, consider canned foods instead. I personally have several cases of it, but as a main staple you face health problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,074 Times in 500 Posts

yes they do.. or ive just managed to get a few bad ones over the years.

oh side note... Carbs are good for a survival situation. carbs = Energy. just as important as protein.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Mall ninja in training

I'm an iconoclast so I stock ramen. I understand it may expire and that it's the fats that oxidize and ruin the flavor. I have 6 cases upstairs and will be buying more. In my rudmientary state of preparedness, I have not yet mylared anything, but I think it would be good to mylar up the ramen. Your two enemies are light and oxygen and so the, mylar and absorbers ought to keep it fresh.

I love the ramen for both the taste and the convenience. It's also a hell of a deal financially. I bought cases for $3, which is 400 calories per X 24 = 9600 calories, or ~ five days of food for a normal adult. A month of that stuff at $3/case costs about $18. You are hard pressed to beat that, even with plain white rice.

You also have to consider that it's incredibly versatile. I almost always add an egg to mine. You can add greens, which you can forage for or grow in the garden. Or add meat, if you have any. It's perfect for squirrel or rabbit. If you do add fresh ingredients to your soup, you will get protein and vitamins that are degraded in older canned food. So it ought to be good for a balanced diet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheTexasHammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
I searched the internet and opinions vary.
When you searched, did you read Ramen site??

http://www.nissinfoods.com/faqs.php
The Following User Says Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,172 Times in 605 Posts

I had a case od beef and a case of chicken Ramen noodles that were 2-3 years old and they were fine. It's interesting seeing such a wide variety of responces on this one. I wonder what the variables are. Mine were just stored on a shelf in my kitchen in their packages.
The Following User Says Thank You to riverrat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,553 Times in 874 Posts

say what you want but Ive done the field testing while in college

Bought a Sam's case of Ramen noodles when i first moved to ATL

7 years later when I was moving back home I found a couple still left and since all the other food was gone I ate them

Only difference I noted was the seasoning pack was solid now

Crumbled it up and mixed it in w/ the noodles........Yum!!!

seeing that those noodles have about 0 nutritional value I dont see the need to eat them much less long term store them
Old 02-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Reluctor of dominatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTexasHammer View Post
I'm an iconoclast so I stock ramen. I understand it may expire and that it's the fats that oxidize and ruin the flavor. I have 6 cases upstairs and will be buying more. In my rudmientary state of preparedness, I have not yet mylared anything, but I think it would be good to mylar up the ramen. Your two enemies are light and oxygen and so the, mylar and absorbers ought to keep it fresh.

I love the ramen for both the taste and the convenience. It's also a hell of a deal financially. I bought cases for $3, which is 400 calories per X 24 = 9600 calories, or ~ five days of food for a normal adult. A month of that stuff at $3/case costs about $18. You are hard pressed to beat that, even with plain white rice.

You also have to consider that it's incredibly versatile. I almost always add an egg to mine. You can add greens, which you can forage for or grow in the garden. Or add meat, if you have any. It's perfect for squirrel or rabbit. If you do add fresh ingredients to your soup, you will get protein and vitamins that are degraded in older canned food. So it ought to be good for a balanced diet.
I used to love the stuff when I was in college but it just does not make sense to stock up on it. You can get a 50lb bag of rice at Sam's club for around $20 and add the same stuff you add to ramen noodles. One pound of rice will provide 6 cups of cooked rice so with a 50lb bag that comes out to 300 cups of rice for around $20. If you eat 2 cups a day that 50lb bag will last you about five months. One cup of cooked rice has about 200 calories so with 300 cups you are looking at 60,000 calories for $20.

Plus with white rice you can control the amount of salt you put in, granted I have'nt had Ramen noodles in a while but as I recall they were pretty darn salty. I just think there are better choices out there.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Asian Newbie

Quote:
We eat alot of ramen and also stock up some for survival usage.

In general, we rotate ramen every 12 to 18 months. If ramen are stored in warm/hot places (in trucks - BOV), I rotate those every 6 months. If stored longer, the seasoning may 'harden', and do check for openings of the package - do not consume any ramen (when in long term storage) when the package is broken.

I recommend ramen be stored not more then 18 months.

Similar to batteries, water, fuel, medicine and other food products, ALL consumables, must be rotated/refreshed every few months.....I strongly recommended every 9 months, to keep it FRESH and USEFUL with a reasonable buffered expiry dates miuch later. We do not want to come to a situation when your life depends on it and that stuff cannot be used or eaten, and a SHFT situation may last some period of time, therefore the useful life of your storage should far exceed adding-on to those times.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtcepl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,295 Times in 744 Posts

I recommend stocking grains to grind your own flour at any time and then make your own pasta. :D
The Following User Says Thank You to thePraXis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,425 Times in 30,573 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTexasHammer View Post
You'd have to remove the noodles from their packaging to store them properly in mylar, but it would help extend their life. How long, I don't know. Fats will still go rancid, even packed with O2 absorbers. I think it may be from O2 being in solution with the fats. But it does take it a lot longer.

I keep a bit of ramen around too. But I find I much prefer the real thing from Asian markets and it's not nearly as cheap as the packs from the store. It doesn't seem to last as long either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
I had a case od beef and a case of chicken Ramen noodles that were 2-3 years old and they were fine. It's interesting seeing such a wide variety of responces on this one. I wonder what the variables are. Mine were just stored on a shelf in my kitchen in their packages.
One of the variables is heat. I'm in a warm climate and use no A/C. Another variable is people's ability to detect rancidity. Some people can't smell it at all. Others can smell it at different percentages of rancidity. I'm blessed (cursed?) by the ability to detect even faint amounts of it...on a good day that is. My sense of smell comes and goes.