Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Default Emergency Heat in Auto

Advertise Here

I heard that a candle in an old metal coffee pot makes a good (that is, better than nothing) heat source if you get stranded in your car in cold weather. what do you think?
The Following User Says Thank You to wdcars For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Trapper

They work! But the religious candles one finds in Walmart and dollar stores are very good. They are self contained in the glass-ware and burn a very long time. They also fit in my cup holders!

Remember to always has some source of fresh air when buring anything inside a closed vehicle or room!
The Following User Says Thank You to Booker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Immortal

Thanked 1,521 Times in 632 Posts

Like booker said.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,142 Posts

Make a toilet paper heater. Keep honey bears on hand to help maintain body temp.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Prepared

Go this route instead. Safer to breath than the air from candles, and you have TP and alcohol on hand at all times.

Word to the wise: don't mix the two until you're ready to use. The alcohol will evaporate out of the paint can within a few weeks.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,810 Times in 2,162 Posts

When it got down to -10 I set a candle in a coffee can lit it and set it in my truck on the floor checked the temp, left it there for about 30 minutes . When I checked the temp it was ten degree warmer.
Just wanted to see, I figure with me and maybe another candle at about any outside temp I'd be comfortable.
Just got to be real real careful not to melt or catch fire to anything.

Then add peanut butter and honey.....
The Following User Says Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,052 Times in 464 Posts

i've done it, it didn't seem to work all that well for me. i still have candles in the car, but now i also always have a blanket in the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to harlequin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM

I carry a Coleman survival cat & spare cylinder. It puts out 600 btu & will run 24 hrs on one cylinder. (the 1 pounders)
Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,685 Times in 691 Posts

Keep a duffel with some elcheapo fleece blankets in it.... We do this in our trucks, and use the blankets all year for other things as well, camping, picnic, quick nap. Blankets will keep you warm. Other items can fail, can start a fire, can poison you...why risk it?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Government Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSherpa View Post
Go this route instead. Safer to breath than the air from candles, and you have TP and alcohol on hand at all times.

YouTube - Emergency Car Heater Field Test

Word to the wise: don't mix the two until you're ready to use. The alcohol will evaporate out of the paint can within a few weeks.
Wouldn't that not be an issue if you have the lid on it? Or is it not truly air tight?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 PM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 492 Posts

These:

http://www.littlehottieswarmers.com/

Each of our family vehicles has a full box of these. Got them at Costco for 'cheap'.

Candles (and other flames) are the kiss of death...besides, you can't get a candle close enough to you. These...right up next to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to wifiwaves For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,460 Times in 798 Posts

In winter the trunk of my car is loaded with boots, gloves, extra clothing, and sleeping bags.

I would not be comfortable with even a little fire burning in an enclosed space. And other members of the family also drive this car. They know what's in the trunk (and, Ha! I'll remind them again tomorrow!)

BTW -- I have one of those nice Ford products with a keypad that unlocks the door. So this car is a refuge from the cold even if you run out of the burning house in your skivvies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Prepared

Ruh- The new, quart sized paint cans that you buy from the big box stores don't seem to seal tightly enough to prevent the alcohol from evaporating. Paint is thicker and perhaps creates a tighter seal. Neither of the first two cans I prepped held their alcohol for very long. And ultimately it just seemed safer to leave it in it's bottle until needed. That way I have TP and an empty container in the car at all times that are available for whatever is needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalSherpa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 7,683 Times in 3,077 Posts

Quote:
Ruh- The new, quart sized paint cans that you buy from the big box stores don't seem to seal tightly enough to prevent the alcohol from evaporating. Paint is thicker and perhaps creates a tighter seal. Neither of the first two cans I prepped held their alcohol for very long. And ultimately it just seemed safer to leave it in it's bottle until needed. That way I have TP and an empty container in the car at all times that are available for whatever is needed.
Not only safer and less prone to evaporation, but you can also use the TP as, well, TP in case of emergency.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Recent Blog:

Have had the hobo stove with candles in car emergency kit for years, yes they work. Don't think of them as my heat source, so much as a stove to heat water or food, with window open for ventilation. Also have spare clothes, sleep bag, wool blankets in my car kit.

The hobo stoves add heat while they're doing the cooking, and I also use 2 mylar blankets and duct tape to seal off either the back seat or front and keep the heat there. Between the stove, my own heat, and the mylar blankets, I've slept comfortably in car even at temps of 0 - 10 degrees. Have never needed all blankets or clothes, so know I could handle even lower temps.

Thanks for good post, and good luck finding what works best for you.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Government Mole

Quote:
Yea after I wrote that I remembered all of the dried out cans of paint we have around the house. So even the paint will dry out over long periods of time while closed.

Plus I like the idea of having the supplies separate so that each item can be used for a multitude of uses.