Oxalic Acid Poisoning - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poisoning of John Boehner Kevin in Ohio General Discussion 15 01-13-2015 10:46 PM
Experience With Food Poisoning ? Grey Mouse Food and water 33 11-24-2014 08:38 AM
DIY Food Poisoning aid? TheSquid Health, Fitness and First Aid 7 01-07-2014 08:21 PM
Contrails and chemical poisoning sf3657 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 53 07-11-2013 09:41 PM
Be wary of intentional poisoning. BJJ_Grappler Food and water 1 05-30-2012 11:03 PM
Food warning- the poisoning of America Dcoin Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 31 12-29-2011 09:23 PM
BPA Poisoning - Flasks/Canteens Smith28 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 38 11-17-2010 01:33 PM
MSG poisoning help. alergyfree Health, Fitness and First Aid 65 07-26-2010 07:04 PM
Food Poisoning? wevie General Discussion 3 11-28-2009 04:33 PM
Poisoning only your little girls is just half the profits Declan General Discussion 4 10-17-2009 03:11 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
twyggy's Avatar
twyggy twyggy is offline
Numquam Succumbe
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the Ozarks, AR
Posts: 4,161
Thanks: 4,717
Thanked 5,640 Times in 2,269 Posts
Default Oxalic Acid Poisoning



Advertise Here

Hey guys,

I was reading about Oxalic Acid on the interwebz (albeit a cited article), and I was suprised to learn that it was potentially deadly, seems to be the cause of kidney stones, and is in many wild foragables, like rhubarb, mustard, spinach, watercress, dandelion, etcetera.

This article goes on to say that oxalic acid is detrimental to plants, too, but that the plants oxalic acid occurs in have an enzyme (protein) that breaks oxalic acid down, and, when you cook plants containing oxalic acid, it denatures the protein and causes your body to absorb the non-neutralized oxalic acid.

Granted, the danger of overdose seems distant, considering the article cites 11 pounds of rhubarb as a lethal dose, but, if a person were in a sustained foraging situation, the danger posed by oxalic acid seems like it would be more pertinent considering that oxalic acid-poisoning symptoms include fatigue, shock, vomitting, and many more.

So, to the questions:

1. Is this article accurate? Are certain cooked veggies higher in oxalic acid because the protein that usually neutralizes it within the plant is destroyed?

2. Does boiling constitute "cooking"? (It seems like it would)

3. Will eating raw uncooked vegetables (that are naturally high in oxalic acid) eliminate the danger of oxalic acid poisoning?

4. Cumulatively, am I warranted in worrying about the "dangers" of oxalic acid in a sustained foraging situation?

I appreciate any input anybody might have! Thanks!

http://www.dewsworld.com/FInDefenseofOxalicAcid.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002479.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Chaosult Chaosult is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 78
Thanks: 9
Thanked 75 Times in 23 Posts
Default

As I understand it, oxalic acid in normal plant-sized doses is pretty readily excreted from the body unless you suffer from some kind of kidney problem.

The lethal dose of oxalic acid is something like 600 mg/kg, an amount you're very unlikely to intake, even in a survival situation.

Oxalic acid poisoning symptoms may occur at a much smaller dosage though. I can't seem to find any info on exactly how much oxalic acid one would need to ingest for symptoms to occur.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaosult For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 03:19 PM
ForestBeekeeper's Avatar
ForestBeekeeper ForestBeekeeper is offline
off-grid organic farmer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: forests of Maine
Posts: 21,233
Thanks: 25,457
Thanked 31,564 Times in 12,594 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1
Default

We have a lot of Japanese Knotweed which produces a lot of oxalic acid.
 
Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 PM
edibleplantguy edibleplantguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Haslett, Michigan
Posts: 192
Thanks: 23
Thanked 473 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Greetings twyggy and all,

Many plants contain oxalic acid as you correctly pointed out. As you also mentioned, it occurs in many well-loved and conventional vegetables as well (spinach, strawberries, rhubarb, and others). I certainly would not call oxalic acid deadly. You found someone posted a lethal dose of rhubarb would be 11 pounds/person. I don't know about you, but I would have a hard time ever eating 11 pounds of anything at a sitting. Oxalic acid is an organic acid (technically the simplest of the dicarboxylic acids) and they are related to fatty acids in their formation chemistry. They are but one of a class of materials often identified as oxalates. Oxalates come in two basic kinds: soluble, and insoluble. Oxalic acid is soluble and not dangerous in moderate quantities. However, there are other oxalates.

The biggest single problem for someone eating significant oxalic acid is that it binds to (and makes inaccessible to the body) your serum calcium. Calcium is an enormously important nutrient, not just to your bones and teeth. If you eat a diet high in oxalic acid, long term, your calcium levels will become insufficient to be healthy.

Here's the big thing. When calcium combines with oxalic acid it forms calcium oxalate which occurs in non-soluble crystals. These crystals come in two forms: botryoidal (solid round balls), and acicular (sharp penetrating needles). One reason to at least be aware of how much oxalic acid is in one's diet is because if you have a personal or family history of kidney stones you could be setting yourself up (especially if you aren't getting good quantities of water) for the botryoidal calcium oxalate crystals in your kidneys.

The acicular form is what makes your throat and tongue feel burning and itching when you stray into the Araceae (philodendron) family plants such as skunk cabbage or improperly prepared taro. Some inadequate edible plant books say one can eat these plants after simple boiling. But, not so. Remember, these crystals are insoluble; boiling is not the answer. The solution is usually high-temp roasting or long term drying (9 months plus).

So, if you are eating lots of plants in the rhubarb (buckwheat) family [Polygonaceae] be sure and track down some calcium supplements.

I hope this brings some clarity. Thanks for reading.

edibleplantguy
The Following User Says Thank You to edibleplantguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2011, 06:05 PM
lanahi lanahi is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northcentral Idaho
Posts: 4,806
Thanks: 7,362
Thanked 5,898 Times in 2,477 Posts
Default

Spinach is high in oxalic acid. You would have to eat large amounts of it every day to be adversely affected by it, normally. Cooking and the use of dairy products with it neutralizes it.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Straight Razor's Avatar
Straight Razor Straight Razor is offline
Wild Edibles Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,169
Thanks: 850
Thanked 9,906 Times in 4,246 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3
Default

Unless your family has a history of calcium kidney stones it isn't really an issue at all. Lethal dose is around 2 pure ounces which translates into 10 to 30 pounds or more at one meal of various leafy vegetables. More so, as one doctor said, no one dies of such poisonings anymore. In my classes I simply say if you avoid spinach this is a plant you shoulg also avoid.
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net