Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM
plan4theworst's Avatar
plan4theworst plan4theworst is offline
We're watching you!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 239
Thanks: 80
Thanked 362 Times in 130 Posts
Default Husqvarna rifle?



Advertise Here

Greetings!

I was wondering if anyone had heard of a husqvarna rifle. I was recently left one. It is a 30-06, bolt-action. It also appears to have a slot to insert the cartridges that has a spring plate for feeding. Has anyone heard of these rifles or mechanism?

Thanks in advance...



"Say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, at least it's and ethos."
Old 02-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Skogsbroder's Avatar
Skogsbroder Skogsbroder is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Age: 22
Posts: 62
Thanks: 65
Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Default

A good ol' Husqvarna 1640 with the regular m98 mechanism? If I've got it all wrong, I blame mead, inexperience and fatigue. Cheers!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM
plan4theworst's Avatar
plan4theworst plan4theworst is offline
We're watching you!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 239
Thanks: 80
Thanked 362 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Thanks. You wouldn't have any advice as to how to operate the m98 mechanism, would you? Not sure I'd be confident operating it. Right now, it's a large paperweight.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Skogsbroder's Avatar
Skogsbroder Skogsbroder is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Age: 22
Posts: 62
Thanks: 65
Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Default

I can't say that I have. Like I said; I'm inexperienced. Hopefully it's a push in the right direction, though, rather than misleading information.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Duggo's Avatar
Duggo Duggo is offline
Me before coffee...
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Willamette Valley
Posts: 346
Thanks: 281
Thanked 253 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Pics man, pics!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:21 PM
plan4theworst's Avatar
plan4theworst plan4theworst is offline
We're watching you!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 239
Thanks: 80
Thanked 362 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Working on it. Will have them shortly...
Old 02-05-2011, 08:20 PM
schutzen schutzen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 108
Thanks: 3
Thanked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Default

A Husqvarna is a quality copy of a Mauser action made in Finland. They were imported and sold primarily in department stores (JC Penny’s come to mind-yes they did sell guns).

It is a standard bolt action rifle with an internal 4 or 5 round magazine. Open the bolt and lay a cartridge on the spring action plate under the bolt. Push the cartridge down and slightly to the rear. It should slide down into the magazine and latch into place. The spring loaded plate is called a follower. The follower and the spring below it are designed to lift the cartridges to the top of the magazine where the bolt picks them up for insertion to the chamber. To unload the magazine make sure your finger is off the trigger, then open and close the bolt until all the cartridges are ejected from the rifle. Make sure you check the magazine and the rifles chamber (rear section of the barrel that supports the cartridge for firing.)

This is extremely basic firearms fundamentals. The .30-06 is a very powerful cartridge capable of killing all game on the North American continent. Prior to 1957 the US military used the .30-06 as its standard rifle cartridge and expected killing shots at 1000 yards. Under the right conditions, bullets from a .30-06 can travel 5 miles.

If you are this unfamiliar with firearms, for your safety and the safety of those around you, I suggest you take some type of formal instruction. Most local gun shops can recommend a local gun club that should have a NRA Firearms instructor that teaches classes in fundamentals and firearms safety.

Enjoy your rifle, it is a good one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schutzen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
dcliffhanger dcliffhanger is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: north KY. the center of the universe
Posts: 1,732
Thanks: 15
Thanked 2,039 Times in 857 Posts
Default

You can use these directionjs for general; instructions, althout the safety is in a different position on the Husky.

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/repeating...auser-9-e.html

do not let anyone fleece you out of this rifle on a trade. it is not a cheap store brand gun like Pennys and Sears sold. It a premium firearm among the classics of the post war era. Going price for a copy in good condition tops $1,000.
The Following User Says Thank You to dcliffhanger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
schutzen schutzen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 108
Thanks: 3
Thanked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Default

dCliffhanger is quite correct. The Husky is most definitely a quality firearm and well worth keeping. I would not consider trading it.

However, remember in "good old days" (pre-1968) many stores carried firearms. Our local JC Penny's carried Browning, Berretta, Colt, S&W, and yes- Husqvarna. As late as the 1980’s many local hardware stores carried “quality” firearms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schutzen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2011, 04:34 AM
Observer Observer is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oklahoma again
Posts: 4,565
Thanks: 4,356
Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,776 Posts
Default

A Husquavarna is a "Very" quality rifle. You have done well here. be certain and keep this rifle.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:31 AM
0369 0369 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Age: 43
Posts: 86
Thanks: 24
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Husqvarnas were made in Huskvarna, Sweden.
The Following User Says Thank You to 0369 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 AM
plan4theworst's Avatar
plan4theworst plan4theworst is offline
We're watching you!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 239
Thanks: 80
Thanked 362 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Thanks for all the info/advice. Perhaps a little more?

It appears to not have been used a quite a while and the safety is stuck. any suggestions on a good smith in the Northern Virginia area?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM
schutzen schutzen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 108
Thanks: 3
Thanked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Oil the safety with Kroil, I prefer the Aero-Kroil but either aerosol or liquid will work. Oil it several times a day for 2-3 days and then try to operate the safety. Kroil is very good penetrating oil and should loosen most frozen (rusted or gummed up) parts. Be very careful with Kroil around ammunition, it can penetrate the primer pocket and "kill" the primer.

PS I looked it up 0369 is quite correct, Husky's are made in Sweden. Two chainsaws and I always thought it was Finland.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schutzen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 PM
nveagle's Avatar
nveagle nveagle is offline
Accuracy is Final
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Eastern Nevada
Age: 38
Posts: 411
Thanks: 212
Thanked 372 Times in 171 Posts
Default

I have one in 6.5 Swede. Good Rifle tho it was abused a bit before I got it.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 AM
0369 0369 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Age: 43
Posts: 86
Thanks: 24
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I agree Kroil is definately your best bet.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 PM
whirlibird whirlibird is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SW Wyoming
Posts: 4,521
Thanks: 845
Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,321 Posts
Default

Husqvarna is the "name" of the brand, as well as the town (Huskvarna).
It translates to "handmade" in english.
The Husqvarna actions are considered by many the high point of commercial Mauser action production.
Early sporter rifles were built on the Model 96 Swedish Mauser action. In the late 1930s, and through the 1940s, Husqvarna sporters were also built on refinished military Model 98 Mauser actions.
In the early 1950s, Husqvarna used commercial FN Mauser actions and exported rifles to the U.S. through Eric S. Johnson Company of Chicago, Illinois, and Tradewinds Inc. of Tacoma, Washington.

Here's some information:
SurplusRifle.com
(be sure to check the operations section)

Empire 98

MauserShooters.org
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Tankspridd Tankspridd is offline
I hate everyone equally !
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 514
Thanked 965 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen View Post
A Husqvarna is a quality copy of a Mauser action made in Finland. They were imported and sold primarily in department stores (JC Penny’s come to mind-yes they did sell guns).

It is a standard bolt action rifle with an internal 4 or 5 round magazine. Open the bolt and lay a cartridge on the spring action plate under the bolt. Push the cartridge down and slightly to the rear. It should slide down into the magazine and latch into place. The spring loaded plate is called a follower. The follower and the spring below it are designed to lift the cartridges to the top of the magazine where the bolt picks them up for insertion to the chamber. To unload the magazine make sure your finger is off the trigger, then open and close the bolt until all the cartridges are ejected from the rifle. Make sure you check the magazine and the rifles chamber (rear section of the barrel that supports the cartridge for firing.)

This is extremely basic firearms fundamentals. The .30-06 is a very powerful cartridge capable of killing all game on the North American continent. Prior to 1957 the US military used the .30-06 as its standard rifle cartridge and expected killing shots at 1000 yards. Under the right conditions, bullets from a .30-06 can travel 5 miles.

If you are this unfamiliar with firearms, for your safety and the safety of those around you, I suggest you take some type of formal instruction. Most local gun shops can recommend a local gun club that should have a NRA Firearms instructor that teaches classes in fundamentals and firearms safety.

Enjoy your rifle, it is a good one.
Actually most of Husqvarna were manufactured in Sweden by a Swedish manufacturer many of them were produced on M98 actions made by FN during the war

I dont know were you got Finland from but thats incorrect anyway

To sum it up a bit:

Husqvarna Model 46 - Swedish Designed and Swedish-made, based on the mechanism M/94
Husqvarna Model 146/246 - Swedish Designed and Swedish-made, built with M/98 mechanisms purchased from the FN-Herstal in Belgium.
Husqvarna Model 640 - Designed Swedish and Swedish-made, built with M/98 mechanisms purchased from the FN-Herstal in Belgium.
Husqvarna Model 1640 - Designed Swedish and Swedish-made, based on self-designed and home-made mechanism.
Husqvarna Model 1900 - Designed Swedish and Swedish-made, based on self-designed and home-made mechanism.
FFV-Husqvarna - Model 1900 - Designed Swedish and Swedish-made, based on self-designed and home-made mechanism.
Carl Gustaf Model 1900 - Swedish Designed but can be made in both Sweden and Italy. Built on self-designed and home-made mechanism. ( Avoid the italian version at all cost )
Carl Gustaf Model 2000 - Swedish Designed but can be made in both Sweden (MK2) and Italy (MK1). Built on self-designed and home-made mechanism. ( Even here you should avoid the italian version / This version resulted in that Husqvarna moved home again )
Carl Gustaf Model 3000 - German engineered and German-made
Carl Gustaf Model 4000 - German engineered and German-made
Carl Gustaf Model 5000 - German engineered and German-made

Then there are some shotguns made and a swedish version of H&K G3

( Shure the made a version of Remington rolling block to )

And since Y2K Sauer owns the rights to the name
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tankspridd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Capercaillie Capercaillie is offline
Fennoscandia
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: At the edge of a boreal swamp.
Posts: 221
Thanks: 165
Thanked 157 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankspridd View Post
Actually most of Husqvarna were manufactured in Sweden by a Swedish manufacturer many of them were produced on M98 actions made by FN during the war

I dont know were you got Finland from but thats incorrect anyway

To sum it up a bit:

Husqvarna Model 46 - Swedish Designed and Swedish-made, based on the mechanism M/94
Husqvarna Model 146/246 - Swedish Designed and Swedish-made, built with M/98 mechanisms purchased from the FN-Herstal in Belgium.
Husqvarna Model 640 - Designed Swedish and Swedish-made, built with M/98 mechanisms purchased from the FN-Herstal in Belgium.
Husqvarna Model 1640 - Designed Swedish and Swedish-made, based on self-designed and home-made mechanism.
Husqvarna Model 1900 - Designed Swedish and Swedish-made, based on self-designed and home-made mechanism.
FFV-Husqvarna - Model 1900 - Designed Swedish and Swedish-made, based on self-designed and home-made mechanism.
Carl Gustaf Model 1900 - Swedish Designed but can be made in both Sweden and Italy. Built on self-designed and home-made mechanism. ( Avoid the italian version at all cost )
Carl Gustaf Model 2000 - Swedish Designed but can be made in both Sweden (MK2) and Italy (MK1). Built on self-designed and home-made mechanism. ( Even here you should avoid the italian version / This version resulted in that Husqvarna moved home again )
Carl Gustaf Model 3000 - German engineered and German-made
Carl Gustaf Model 4000 - German engineered and German-made
Carl Gustaf Model 5000 - German engineered and German-made

Then there are some shotguns made and a swedish version of H&K G3

( Shure the made a version of Remington rolling block to )

And since Y2K Sauer owns the rights to the name
Thanks Tankspridd, excellent summary of the Husqvarna rifle production. I was about to correct the "Made in Finland" piece of information too. The Huskies made in Sweden are fine rifles, starting from the top notch steel they used. I think 1640 was the first one for which Husky made their own Mauser action. I would so much like to get a 1640 in 6,5x55 SE.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM
*Paladin*'s Avatar
*Paladin* *Paladin* is offline
Have gun,will travel
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 5,507
Thanked 6,569 Times in 2,583 Posts
Default

I can't BELIEVE I never posted in this thread! I own two Husqvarna's (a M1622 .22 LR bolt action and a .270 Win Mauser-style bolt action imported by Tradewinds). Husky's are fantastic guns! I love and cherish both of them!

A lot of folks don't know it, but Husqvarna is the 2nd oldest firearms manufacturer in the world. They started building guns in the early 1600s. The only manufacturer older is Beretta.

Unfortunately, Husqvarna stopped making guns in the '80s, IIRC. Swedish steel is good stuff!
__________________
-Steve
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
RIP TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy- KIA 22 Jan 06, near Taji, Iraq. You will never be forgotten.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM
tyusclan tyusclan is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,516
Thanks: 3,611
Thanked 2,529 Times in 981 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
A lot of folks don't know it, but Husqvarna is the 2nd oldest firearms manufacturer in the world. They started building guns in the early 1600s.
Yep, 1689 to be exact. The company was founded when the King of Sweden commissioned them to make muskets for him.

They also made sewing machines in the 1800s.
The Following User Says Thank You to tyusclan For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Husqvarna made in U.S.A. Now! Luger Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 05-07-2010 01:19 AM
Husqvarna Sling Swivel Needed Rufus Rifle Forum 3 01-14-2010 04:42 AM
Husqvarna parts needed Rufus Rifle Forum 8 11-18-2009 12:33 PM
Husqvarna Rufus Rifle Forum 8 10-29-2009 08:05 AM
Husqvarna 8x57IS Tundra Man Rifle Forum 2 11-02-2008 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net