Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 AM
IDF

Default Bees, and how to keep them away.

Advertise Here

Our woods are swarming with bees... I can live with that somehow but its a problem when taking my GF with me for camping or hikes...

Is there any bee replant or something!?

I never wear colorful cloth to the woods.
I don't put fragrance and deodorants that might attract them.
I try not to make fast moves.
Mostly, I don't get stinged, and even if I do, its not to bad.
but my GF just starting to get mad and screaming untile she actually gets her ass bitten.

any thoughts!?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 AM
snowflake amid snowflakes

Thanked 7,159 Times in 2,027 Posts

Since I am partial to the little ladies my advice might not suit you, but I'll give it to you anyway.

When I go out to the hive I take a few deep breaths and calm myself. I can open it up, staring into a thousand bees and they will leave me alone. When I go bumbling in there, in a hurry or mowing they will sting. If a dog is with me it always gets them ticked off.

You and your girlfriend need to accept them and ignore. If they are bothering you there might be something like fruit, flowers, or a sweet perfume attracting them. The crabapple in my yard is loud in the spring. The bees love it. The kids play in the yard under it and the bees don't bother them. Are you guys running around squaking if you see a bee?

There are sprays to kill stinging insects but they are toxic, if you are spraying into an open area be careful. And remember, the spray only kills the ones close by. It sounds like they are all over. That would be impossible to manage with a spray.

Bottom line, your GF needs to learn to chill. It's just a bee. Unless she is allergic, and that is a whole different ball game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gypsymoonfarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 AM
IDF

She is not allergic but somehow she is very scared of them... the funniest thing is they actually won't leave her alone even if she try to chill

she is not a "little lady" just that bee thing...
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Fly it Northward

My father keeps bees and he has always said (and of course the old man is always right ) that bees like bright coulors and perfume/aftershave etc and they will check you out...they think you're a flower.

I know of no bee repellent (except smoke) but I know from having bee hives on our back porch as kid that the colour you wear makes a bigger difference than ya might think.

I know this is probably not the answer ya need but...
Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 AM

The "little lady" comment was in reference to the fact that worker bees are female.

If your girl has a cow if she sees a bee then maybee you shouldn't bring her to bee central to hang out. Trying to kill off the bees in the general area would be akin to urinating into the wind. If you didn't want nature you shouldn't have a house with nature near it. Going to a natural setting and trying to sterilize it just doesn't make any sense to me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buckstar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 17,257 Times in 3,552 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsymoonfarm View Post
Since I am partial to the little ladies my advice might not suit you, but I'll give it to you anyway.

When I go out to the hive I take a few deep breaths and calm myself. I can open it up, staring into a thousand bees and they will leave me alone. When I go bumbling in there, in a hurry or mowing they will sting. If a dog is with me it always gets them ticked off.
One more reason I don't own a dog. Seems like all wild animals get upset when a dog is around. I have seen this quite a few times in the wild and on my mtn place when a neighbor's dog comes around.

And I did a quick search on how to keep bees away. Too many ideas on how to just kill bees such as making a bee trap etc. I guess many don't care that bees are valuable and should not be slaughtered.

When I am in a mtn meadow on a perfect weather day in the summer there are lots of bees, butterflies etc. I move slowly and if a bee comes in my face I just don't move. They always just move on.
I have more problems with the vicious little hummingbirds. If one is wearing red or yellow they attack! Or at least get in your face fast. One more reason to wear camo or olive drab green.

Here is one link that I did find that should help about how to keep bees away, maybe try the herbal bee repellants >> http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Kee...nts&id=2803545
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 AM

I'll be container planting (for our back deck) an herb called feverfew. One particular website stated that bees hate the stuff and will shy away from any area where it is planted. Might be worth a little research - then finding the essential oil & putting a few drops on her outer clothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to vhbrown2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 AM
silenced

Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,520 Posts

as much problems were having with bees dieing off and missing. leave them alone. they need all they help they can get. walk another 100' to get away from them. if theres only afew around leave them alone and they should do the same for you
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chey's Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,180 Posts

If you are refering to honey bees in the woods?? Leave them alone, they are where they are supposed to bee. Bees are good wasp are bad, again, bees are good wasp are bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alligatorgars For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

are you refering to beez like honey bees or things like yellow jackets and wasps i have seen people call them all bees in ignorance honey bees are fine unless you do something stupid like kick the hive and if there honey bees id recomend catching a swarm
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Target Shooter

I agree.. what type of "bees" are you talking about...

if they are honey bees.. learn to deal with it... they are vital to the forest amongst various other stuff...

If you are concerned about hornets, wasps ro yellow jackets.. thats different.

Sounds like your gf wears to many "scents" and this will attract a variety of pests...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cocador For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 AM
IDF

Please reread the post.... BEE REPELLENT!!! not a way to kill them or slaughter or nuke or I don't know what... REPELLENT; as in keep them away.

When I say bees I guess I mean bees... just simple honey bees.
I know they are harmless but they really a pain in the a$$.

Quote:
The "little lady" comment was in reference to the fact that worker bees are female.
I see, didn't understand the metaphor.

Quote:
Sounds like your gf wears to many "scents" and this will attract a variety of pests...
not that I know of.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Man, I must have started daydreaming when I made my post. You didn't mention that you wanted to kill bees yet I responded as if you did. I must have gotten the subsequent posts mixed up. I really don't like it when other people do that and yet I did it. I'm very sorry about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckstar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
IDF

no problem it happens... I get to slide off the topic too sometimes
Old 02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Target Shooter

Make up, deodorant, shampoo, perfume, will attract bees...

Typically honey bee won't bother you unless you are disturbing the hive...

Sounds like she is or you are a little dramatic...

To move honey bee's isn't an easy thing and well, hell... honey bees are essential.. if I were you i'd be happy they are around...

seeing as this is a prepping survivalist site... many here should/would be happy to have honey bee's in close proximity especially if you are trying to grow essentials.

Maybe you need to look at them in a different light... I am highly allergic to bees. However, I have 7 hives and soon to be 20 on the farm... the more bees the merrier... they are just that needed.

Last edited by cocador; 02-04-2011 at 11:27 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cocador For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 10:32 AM
silenced

Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,520 Posts

its goin to be hard to repel them without harming them. most if not all conventional stuff will harm them.

use smoke through burning green vegetation, it disorients them makes them slow and "drunk"
try essential oils, they repel alot of pests. i dont know which could/would work as i want to bring as many bees as possible
The Following User Says Thank You to Chey's Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Prepared

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend, one that is used to the woods.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 PM
IDF

Quote:
Sounds like you need a new girlfriend, one that is used to the woods.
except the bee thing she is good.
done pretty hard hikes with the girl, she survived.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,843 Times in 2,457 Posts

There's a vast difference between bees and wasps in their behavior. Bees ignore you unless you threaten them in some way, wasps can get aggressive. A bee dies after stinging someone, so they are not aggressive because they are not suicidal! A wasp can sting any number of times.

Just keep your distance from them, wear neutral colored clothing, and no attractive scents...they'll leave you alone.

For those who are afraid of honeybees but not allergic to them, I'd suggest learning more about them and taking a trip to some hives. When I kept bees, I'd take someone out to my hive who is afraid of them and sit down at the side of the hive and watch them. I'd tell the other person what he was seeing and what they were doing, pointing out the housekeeping and fanning and young bees out for their first flight, and the drones versus the worker bees. Within a few minutes, they were no longer afraid because they were so fascinated!

People can be afraid of what they misunderstand, and that fear makes bees and wasps uneasy, making it more likely they will pay more attention to you! Fear translates to them as a type of aggression, which invites stings, so it is a never ending problem between them and you! Get over the fear with knowledge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Take your girlfriend to a beekeeper. Have her in a bee suit and watch them, makes all the difference, you're safe in the suit. Have the beekeeper explain to her risks and benefits. I and my daughter had issues with flying insects. Then I was given a hive. She'll stand a respectful distance when I'm working in it and even brings her big paranoid boyfriends around to see Mom's little "hobby". I explained to them, don't swat and if you're uncomfortable, then just slowly and quietly walk away. Then I tell them if it's a wasp or yellow jacket, they are welcome to harm it.
The Following User Says Thank You to clp10us For This Useful Post: