Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM

Default Shipping container load limit

Advertise Here

I am looking into burying a shipping container into the side of a hill right next to my house. I was wondering how much weight of soil or how many inches or feet of soil you could put on top of it.

I understand they can also cave in from the side so how would you go about reinforcing one. I can do concrete and welding work myself.

I also know I would probabaly need to coat the outside with something to prevent corrosion in my acidic soil (mine reclaim). Would tar and tar paper be a good thing to do?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I drink your milkshake!

See the other post on this. ISO containers are not ment to support weight on the sides or roof. Only the corner castings.

those castings can take empty cans stacked 6 high.

I don't know 100% offhand for your sea can, but based on previous projects, I would suggest about 25 lbs per sft for the roof, and maybe 50lbs per sft for the walls.
This would be a concentrated load. A distributed load would be waaaaay less PSF.

I would not recommend such an endeavor.