Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm your Huckleberry

Default Primitive Water Containers?

Advertise Here

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the DIY forum since i'm asking about them instead of showing a tutorial.

If you somehow lost or broke your only water container in the bush, how would you improvise a new water container?

I'm mostly interested in very primitive stuff. For instance, if you've got a plastic bag you're all set. If you've got some duct tape to go with it, all the better. But what if you're forced to use only what is scavengable from the surrounding wilderness areas?

I've seen some fire-made bowls, but nothing as far as making a container that allows you to transport some water with you.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Prepared

what about an animal skin? like a goat? or an animal bladder?

Not really available quickly though!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Young Adult

For some water, though not too much, soak a piece of clothing in water. If you walk through some tall grass with morning dew on it, it will soak the water up, and you can wring it out later. Of course, thats what I would do if I had absolutely nothing else.

Dried out animal bladders are what the Indians used to use, although I have never tried that one. I've also heard of using birch bark as a sort of container.

Waterproof material that you may be wearing could also be made into a pouch.

Those are just off the top of my head, and I've only had experience with the top one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to huntercook15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
CTP

Thanked 1,130 Times in 599 Posts

Not sure if I'm joking or not but I have seen dried out bull scrotums made into a "purse" type container. It was dried out and I'm sure it was "tanned" as you would tan a hide and it looks like it would have held 2-3 quarts of fluid. Kill the bull clean out the sack, fill with water and tie off the top with 550 cord. Then you also have meat for dinner. I'm sure an elk sack would work too.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,908 Times in 6,184 Posts

Gourds if they grow in your area.

Dry them out in the sun or by the fire and drill a hole in it. Can carry half a gallon.

I live in Florida.

As thelastboyscout and Huntercook15 mentioned animal bladders. It holds pee, so it will hold water also.

Obvious one is clay pots. Even crude ones are effective.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM
strikes to the left

Thanked 1,583 Times in 663 Posts

I've made water transport devises from bamboo. I thought I had a photo but I can't find it. But they are pretty simple and should be self explanatory if you have access to any.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hubb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,908 Times in 6,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubb View Post
I've made water transport devises from bamboo. I thought I had a photo but I can't find it. But they are pretty simple and should be self explanatory if you have access to any.
YES!!

One of the most versatile plants (actually a grass) you will find out there. You can:

- eat it (young shoots)
- get clean water from it
- carry water in it
- cook with it (stew or steam)
- make friction fire and it has the tinder already inside
- make shelter
- weave baskets
- make weapons (spears, arrows, arrow heads, knife, bow)
- make tools (spoons, cups, ladders, furniture)

man countless other things. I always take note of natural crops of this grass in my area.

Here are some pictures.

Man I love this stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Anarchist/Animist Primate

Thanked 10,532 Times in 3,717 Posts

Around here, birch bark is plentiful. I would probably make something out of that, sealed with pine sap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horned One For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Target Shooter

I can't echo enough how valuable bamboo is. I've fiddled around with it before, although admittedly have never used it while camping. The stuff is incredible. SO multi-purpose. Other than bamboo, the poster who mentioned tying your shirt around your ankles or calves if your in semi-high grass o collect dew is very practical and effortless.

It's a great question to be honest.... I'm racking my brain to think of things off the top of my head. I don't wanna look it up because then I'd feel like I'm cheating! Bamboo always comes to mind... Maybe a stump of a decent sized tree dug out? You can heat up rocks and throw them into the water until its boiled. Looking forward to seeing more answers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Papa Sean For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Hunter

Animal Bladders were used for most of mans existence to hold water.
The Following User Says Thank You to andersed For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm your Huckleberry

If you have some good birch trees in your area i have found some excellent info on how to make container using the bark.

Here's a link to some pictures: http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/surv...ark/index.html
Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Mountain Critter

Thanked 17,439 Times in 779 Posts

Some options in my area include aspen bark bent and sealed with spruce pitch, a narrow, tightly woven willow basket with an aspen wood "collar" at the top, coated on the inside with pitch and corked with a stick, or a coiled cordage or pine needle basket, again coated on the inside with pitch.

Here are some coiled cordage baskets I've made from the twined inner bark of aspens:

Collecting the bark...

Making cordage...

A finished roll of the cordage, ready to start coiling for baskets...

Finished baskets...

I've coated this sort with pitch on the inside by throwing in some small lumps of pitch and hot rocks from the fire, and shaking until the rocks start cooling.
The Following User Says Thank You to FreedomoftheHills For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,798 Times in 2,262 Posts

I have 2 gourd canteens....They work great..
Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Strike Hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomoftheHills View Post
Some options in my area include aspen bark bent and sealed with spruce pitch, a narrow, tightly woven willow basket with an aspen wood "collar" at the top, coated on the inside with pitch and corked with a stick, or a coiled cordage or pine needle basket, again coated on the inside with pitch.
I've coated this sort with pitch on the inside by throwing in some small lumps of pitch and hot rocks from the fire, and shaking until the rocks start cooling.
Beeswax also serves well to coat the inside, plus its food safe.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Plants don't run!

Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,042 Posts

Birch bark baskets to carry water. You can seal the edges of your basket with pine resin. It is unnecessary for a coat on the inside of birch bark. Ray Mears shows a nice demonstration of how to make one very quickly. I, too, hope to do a DIY post on it.

If you have fire you can use embers to burn out logs for a cup or a kuska, not much a good canteen but it is a container. Perhaps burn out an old stump and see if it will hold water. That way you can now put water in it from your kuska, that you filled up from collecting morning dew with your shirt like a poster above said.

Skin, stomach, scrotum, bladder, ears skin (makes a nice pouch) can be used for carrying water. They are nice pouches anyways for just carrying things.

There are also, as pictured above, the coiled cordage baskets, which I think are really awesome but haven't ever used.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM

I've cut an acorn squash in half, emptied out the middle, and it was a fairly decent water container for a few days.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 PM
RKBA SNBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the DIY forum since i'm asking about them instead of showing a tutorial.

If you somehow lost or broke your only water container in the bush, how would you improvise a new water container?

I'm mostly interested in very primitive stuff. For instance, if you've got a plastic bag you're all set. If you've got some duct tape to go with it, all the better. But what if you're forced to use only what is scavengable from the surrounding wilderness areas?

I've seen some fire-made bowls, but nothing as far as making a container that allows you to transport some water with you.
What they said.

And while you're carrying your water in an improvised container, keep your eyes open and there's probably littered plastic bottles and jugs just about everywhere on earth.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:38 PM
18 Years old ain't a kid

this is a primitive bowl made by dave canterbury of the pathfinder school also co host of dual survival on discovery channel i am involved with his school and know alot of the guys and have learned from them
Old 02-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Trapper

I've read about rolling birch bark into a funnel and pinning the sides with split twigs. The botton is supposed to be folded over and sealed with pitch.

I've heard this repeated many times but I've never had success. The bark always seems to split.