Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
KY Fried Hiker

Question Small Hunting Cabin

Advertise Here

My Dad has right at 50 acres of land, in a very rural county. I would really like to have a small hunting cabin on the place to get away if I wanted, and maybe stay there some days during deer season. The land has about 15-20 acres of fields and the rest is wooded. We have planted crops for the deer and turkey before, so I could plant a garden if I ever needed to.

My main obsticle is money. I don't have the funds to buy a bunch of building materials to build a cabin. So what are my alternatives?

Should I just buy what I can afford, when I can afford it and build it a little at a time?

Should I save up for what I need and buy it all at once, but wait years to save up enough money to do so?

Should I look at pre-fab kits or things like old campers or shipping containers?

Our my thought, was to use some of the timber on the farm, and build my own real "log cabin" from just the trees on the property. How difficult would that be is the big question?

Give me some ideas on what a guy with little extra funds can do to build a hunting cabin to fit my needs.

What I am looking for is a small place to sleep, rest, get out of bad weather, stay warm, and just spend time away. I don't need electricity or running water, but I would like a wood stove and a front porch.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Union proud so suck it!

Well I can tell you that you know a pretty good carpenter that works for beer and food, so that is a savings. That log idea would be cool but man is it time consuming, we did ours for 3 grand, but your doesn't have to be As big and u can get your old man to pitch in some funds.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellbilly417 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Fly it Northward

Log building take a ton of practice and skill and even more work!! I learned by building outhouses first...I have only built one cabin from log...it's ok...no prize winner.

You would be amazed at what people throw out so...routinely go to the dump and look around. I have found used but servicable roofing tin, door windows, and I once found a 10x10 shed that someone hauled in there! It was in good shape and if I would have taken it apart and brought it home.

Remember that if you build in stages as you can afford it, your building may be exposed to the elements that might damage it. I had a neighbour that built a log place that way and by the time he put a roof on, the flooring was water/snow damaged and he had to replace it all. Also, a couple of his top logs were rotten.

Anyway...I recommend that ya scrounge. There are used building supply places that sell good stuff cheap. Look at equipment packing too...I got a hardwood box big enough to park a little car in that some grain elevator machinery came in. They were going to throw it the burn pile! A visit and a case of beer later and the thing was in my yard!

Good luck and have fun!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northernguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,369 Posts

I dunno what the smaller cabins are priced at, but this place has a lot of small cabin kits which I think look really nice.

http://www.ezlogkits.com/

I've been eyeing their cabins with envy for years.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Prepped and Done!

Thanked 4,016 Times in 1,564 Posts

What NorthernGuy said.

A shed makes a pretty good cabin. In fact my cabin was built by a shed company (not cheap unfortunately).

Maybe you can find a cheap shed kit, or scrounge for materials to build one yourself.

Tell ya what I would do:
There are TONS of homes on the market with no buyers. Many of these people are trying to rent or sell (if they're not already in foreclosure). If you find one with a nice shed, make an offer to the seller. It would cut into their mortgage payment for the month and they'd probably be glad to get rid of it since a shed is never really a big selling point.

Last edited by BuellerBueller; 02-02-2011 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: bad grammar
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuellerBueller For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Hiker

Build your self a nice little hobo cabin to start with nothing fancy just some coragated steel walls you can usually find that stuff laying around old job sites and they will either sell it to you cheap or give it to you just to get rid of it

find a ecent old door to slap on it a decents pot belley stove 9Or make one out of an old oil drum slap it in the corner it wont look perty but it will be a comfy place to sleep drink beer and play some card till you get the cash to build a decent cabin
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Hitch Hiking Guide

I would recommend scrounging up as much as you can, if your just building a small hunting cabin, you could obtain all of the materials needed basically for free. Years and years ago my grandfather offered to demo an old stand alone garage for someone for free to get rid of it as it was an eyesore. He salvaged all of the good lumber and built a nice shed out of it, with over half of the lumber left over. A year or two later he stopped at a house demo site and asked to take materials like the used fiberglass insulation and such out. They agreed, and he took all of those materials and built a little hunting cabin out of it. So if there is a will there is a way, in the form of free, or virtually free materials, but you have to keep your eyes out and not be afraid to stop and ask... it never hurts to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to Common Commando For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Thinking outside the box

Check on Craigslist under free stuff or building materials. There are also some recycle/reuse it sites out there where people would rather give it away than see it go into a landfill.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2muchstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM

I absolutely agree - scrounging is the way to go. It may take a little effort, but it doesn't sound like that will deter you at all. In less time than you think you will have something safe, reliable, cheap, and best of all - you built yourself. Start small and grow from there. Craigslist, other local listings, and asking around will net you a good start.
The Following User Says Thank You to pakrat13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 AM

The Glass companys always have large creates out of 2x6s or 2x8s and most of them will give you them for free just to get them haul'd off check them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to czbohunk For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Have any plans? What about old reefer trailer clad with board and batten. It is insulated and has doors just need to cut running gear off. 8 by 52 is a nice size.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 AM
drive a stake thru Islam

Thanked 1,204 Times in 468 Posts

Maybe you could find an old RV camper for free or cheap, im in WV and I have seen some 19 footers for as little as 400, they aint pretty but at least there waterproof and offer some protection.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

Personally, I would look into purchasing a cheap mobile home. Don't know where you are, but it can work. That's what I would do if I had the property. I WISH I had your problem to be honest.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 AM

I know people that built homes and/or cabins on their land and while the structure was being built lived in shipping containers or rv's. Then once the home was built they used the shipping container for storage and the rv as a guest house. They would have plumbing with toilet and sink, everything.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 AM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,413 Times in 4,749 Posts

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WSierra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 22,559 Times in 7,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xi Bowhunter View Post
My Dad has right at 50 acres of land, in a very rural county. I would really like to have a small hunting cabin on the place to get away if I wanted, and maybe stay there some days during deer season. The land has about 15-20 acres of fields and the rest is wooded. We have planted crops for the deer and turkey before, so I could plant a garden if I ever needed to.

My main obsticle is money. I don't have the funds to buy a bunch of building materials to build a cabin. So what are my alternatives?

Should I just buy what I can afford, when I can afford it and build it a little at a time?

Should I save up for what I need and buy it all at once, but wait years to save up enough money to do so?

Should I look at pre-fab kits or things like old campers or shipping containers?

Our my thought, was to use some of the timber on the farm, and build my own real "log cabin" from just the trees on the property. How difficult would that be is the big question?

Give me some ideas on what a guy with little extra funds can do to build a hunting cabin to fit my needs.

What I am looking for is a small place to sleep, rest, get out of bad weather, stay warm, and just spend time away. I don't need electricity or running water, but I would like a wood stove and a front porch.
We used a 12'X16' storage building kit, set it up on cinder block piers, and built an attached wrap-around deck. It was about 3000.00. We added a small wood stove, a window and a porch roof in front, and it is extremely nice.

Another improvement was a gutter on one side of the roof that runs into a 250 gallon plastic tank for garden and wash water in the warmer months.

This could have been done much cheaper but 10 years ago we had no clue what we were doing, thankfully it turned out good.

It has become like a second home for the wife and I; we're out there nearly every weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00134.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	43203
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Trapper

I would think you could build something for a couple grand. Mother Earth News has a building plan that could give you some ideas to start with and modify for your needs/funds.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
III

Thanked 1,461 Times in 533 Posts

A friend of mine bought an outbuilding from Home Depot. Even has an upper level. A small wood stove keeps it plenty warm. I'm not sure what he paid but he's not a big spender.
The Following User Says Thank You to canman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 PM

Keep and eye out for construction job site trailers for sale.
You know those modular office deals.
I found a really good deal on one a few years back to place on our BOL.

Try searching your local adds or on ebay even.

G-
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM

http://bisonsurvivalblog.blogspot.co.../junk-van.html