Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
-------Look, I'm grey---^

Default Where to buy non-instant powder milk

Advertise Here

I can find instant milk but where can you buy bulk non-instant milk? I am not a member of LDS. Is there anywhere else to get it?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,728 Posts

you should be able to find it locally at a bakery supply or restaurant supply in 25# or 50# bags

Bob's sells it I think they sell it in larger quantities but you have to call

http://www.bobsredmill.com/non-fat-dry-milk_powder.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rugster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,283 Times in 511 Posts

Walton Feed carries instant and "regular" in a variety of sizes.

http://www.waltonfeed.com/category/23
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CBP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM
-------Look, I'm grey---^

After shipping it is about the same price as buying milk
Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

Price isn't the only thing to consider. Here is a review of different brands of powdered milk:
http://selfrelianceadventures.blogsp...-test-and.html
LDS milk was the cheapest (with no shipping charges) but worst tasting for straight drinking. Provident Pantry the best tasting for straight drinking.
But also look at the number of servings and how much a "serving" is to determine price. How much milk in quarts does the can actually produce?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 PM

What's the difference between "instant" and "powdered"?
The Following User Says Thank You to Awesome For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

I believe, that instant is all milk, while powdered milk has soy and other ingredients. Powered is usually cheaper, and sold as "great for baking"
Either way, if you buy one, make sure that you mix it well and chill it for at least 4hours. And no matter which one you buy, when you first mix it, there is a funny smell to it. Don't worry, it goes away quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wash-a-shore Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM

No, instant nonfat dry milk and non-instant nonfat dry milk are 100% milk. You can buy a powdered milk drink or sometimes called a milk substitute (I have had Morning Moos and I have on hand some now from Honeyville Grain) and IMO they taste GREAT, but are made of whey powder, milk powder, and non-dairy cream flavor. I do not think they are a bad product if you really want good tasting milk for drinking. They are somewhat lower in protein than real milk.

The real milk powders, in instant and non-instant are just that. The instant takes 1/3 cup powder to make 1 cup and dissolves instantly. The non-instant takes 1/4 cup powder to make 1 cup and is a pain in the butt to mix. Some companies suggest a blender...or MAJOR shaking in a tightly lidded jar. It does taste the better of the two. Again, IMO.

Non-instant is probably available at places you might call health food stores. Harder to find and more expensive.

All powdered milks are not cheap like they used to be. Here in Wisconsin where our fresh milk is cheaper than in some places, the cost to use (instant milk, from regular grocery store) is about the same. Other places with more expensive fresh milk, it might still be cheaper to get the instant powder.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wyndwalkr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndwalkr View Post
Some companies suggest a blender...or MAJOR shaking in a tightly lidded jar. It does taste the better of the two. Again, IMO.
You can also mix it with warm/hot water and then cool it in the fridge. I agree though that instant is so much easier, although certainly bulkier to store. I like the Country Cream brand from Grandma's Country. So far, it's the best tasting powdered milk I've tried. BTW, non-instant powdered milk is great for baking, so it's not a bad idea to have some stored away.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,775 Times in 4,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndwalkr View Post
No, instant nonfat dry milk and non-instant nonfat dry milk are 100% milk. You can buy a powdered milk drink or sometimes called a milk substitute (I have had Morning Moos and I have on hand some now from Honeyville Grain) and IMO they taste GREAT, but are made of whey powder, milk powder, and non-dairy cream flavor. I do not think they are a bad product if you really want good tasting milk for drinking. They are somewhat lower in protein than real milk.

The real milk powders, in instant and non-instant are just that. The instant takes 1/3 cup powder to make 1 cup and dissolves instantly. The non-instant takes 1/4 cup powder to make 1 cup and is a pain in the butt to mix. Some companies suggest a blender...or MAJOR shaking in a tightly lidded jar. It does taste the better of the two. Again, IMO.

Non-instant is probably available at places you might call health food stores. Harder to find and more expensive.

All powdered milks are not cheap like they used to be. Here in Wisconsin where our fresh milk is cheaper than in some places, the cost to use (instant milk, from regular grocery store) is about the same. Other places with more expensive fresh milk, it might still be cheaper to get the instant powder.
Dude, awesome post!!!

Guys, he is from Wisconsin. They know cheese. They know milk. They invented it. (seriously they know their stuff)

We North Carolina people know Corn, tobacco, and cotton. All of our cows are beef, which isn't all that great.

wyndwalkr, Again thanks for your post.

However in your humble opinion, where is the best place to get the best quality instant or non Instant powdered milk?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 42,001 Times in 5,755 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Healthy Harvest has instant non-fat, non-instant non-fat, and non-instant whole milk which I think is the best for drinking. Strictly my opinion.

http://www.healthyharvest.com/drinkmixes.aspx
Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,775 Times in 4,591 Posts

I buy most of my powdered milk from the Latter Day Saints.

They are the cheapest, and to be honest I really like the taste.

Nicest people you will ever meet.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Prepared

I can vouch for the Emergency Essentials powdered milk. It is far better than any store brand I have tried.
The Following User Says Thank You to RollinTide For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 04:48 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,283 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinTide View Post
I can vouch for the Emergency Essentials powdered milk. It is far better than any store brand I have tried.
Me too. I even mixed up some, chilled it, and went over to my folks for a blind taste test. My extremely picky about his whole milk only 80 yo father ---- could not tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to CBP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernOutdoorsman View Post
I can find instant milk but where can you buy bulk non-instant milk? I am not a member of LDS. Is there anywhere else to get it?
You do not have to be LDS to buy from the canneries. I have heard people say they have been turned away or told they have to come with a member, but the VAST majority of people report that in their experience, their local cannery has a policy of selling to non-members.